What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Store bought rotisserie chicken “Buffalo style” , romaine, pickled veggies, cocktail tomatoes, shaved Parm Regg, Dijon/red wine vinaigrette.

19 Likes

Boneless skinless chicken thighs in labneh, garlic and onion powder with some Creole seasoning thrown in. Grilled on coals. Bhel with potatoes, cukes, tomatoes and red onion.

20 Likes

Pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys Tsardust Memories seasoning blend. Roasted in the oven until done, topped with some Plum Ketchup, and served with ginger-maple mashed sweet potatoes and steamed green beans.

Wine.

26 Likes

Soy Sauce Butter Pasta with Shrimp and Mushrooms

Another winner from the Woks of Life blog!

23 Likes

Fishmonger was out of cod, so I splurged on some extremely expensive halibut. I then proceeded to do a shitty job of cooking it, which pained me because of the price.

After I couldn’t stop it from sticking on the stovetop, I transferred it to the oven (on parchment on a rack over a sheet pan) and finished it there. I had planned to cook the corn/bacon/potato/scallion hash in the same pan, but the pan was full of shredded halibut skin, so I had to dirty yet another pan.

Fish turned out nicely but not 2.5x the price of cod nice.

19 Likes

Tonight I reimagined Frikadeller as Hungarian meatballs in a mushroom paprikas sauce over TJ’s trofie pasta, which reminds us of Spätzle. Leftover fennel slaw as veg.

26 Likes

Spent the long weekend in Lancaster County visiting my friend. Hiked, biked, and shopped the Amish markets. Home now; dinner was chicken pot pie from Zook‘s along with a salad and some miscellaneous veggies from the fridge. Amish moon pies for dessert

14 Likes

Lohikeitto redux, here with Alaskan halibut and sockeye salmon. My modification is the addition of baby peas. Served with toasted homemade baguette.

Leeks, carrots, peas and potatoes from our garden harvest surplus.

21 Likes

Thanks @MunchkinRedux! I have a bunch of recipes saved, but it’s nice to have a reference that’s in someone’s regular repertoire.

I’ve seen egg/no egg, water chestnuts, and black mushrooms included or not in the ones I narrowed down. I’m skewing no egg and a bit of the other two, let see.

2 Likes

DaYUMMM :yum:

Larb! This has become one of my favorite dishes, and it’s truly craveworthy. I feel like I could eat it every 2 wks and not get sick of it for ages. Made with only 2 thai birds, bc 2/3 of us are a little wimpy. Served on coconut rice, with shredded cabbage and cukes.

27 Likes

Ha! We get those Zook’s occasionally. I like the chicken one. They also have beef, sausage and vegetable, but we always go chicken.

1 Like

Love laab. A member in one of my cooking groups has a great recipe for turkey laab. The only PITA is grinding up the toasted rice :roll_eyes:

This recipe was for a chicken version. I didn’t do the toasted rice bc my kid complained about it before. But in the past, a spice grinder makes quick work of it.

3 Likes

Egg would certainly help bind the meatballs. They’re a little loose without it, but workable. Still, I’m tempted to add one every time I make it - maybe one of these days I will.

Mr. B’s New Orleans BBQ shrimp served over chile, cheese cauli grits. Salad of butter lettuce, green onion, marinated carrots, red pepper, avocado with sherry vinegar & oo dressing. Beefeater rocks and wine.

18 Likes

I never bother for lion’s head meatballs. You actually don’t need eggs at all in even Italian meatballs, where a panade is part of what’s binding them:

For lion’s head it’s having sufficiently fatty pork, enough salt (something the ATK recipe definitely needs more of, but I always add salt to taste anyway), and mixing the meat really well.

5 Likes

I had a piece of keta that I put in my lohikietto the other day. It was pretty tasty with all the usual suspects, but I didn’t have enough fresh dill. Buttered baguette accompanied. Great soup for a cold night, filling but not stuffing. No pix.

2 Likes

I tend to skip the egg when avoidable because I can taste it. (Some recipes increase cornstarch.)

2 Likes

It’s such a quick and easy pantry/freezer meal, for us at least. We always seem to have the fixings on hand.

1 Like