What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Oh, there was food too!

Broccoli Rabe has been particularly good of late, not bitter at all (though I still blanch in chicken broth before sautéing, which is a trick I learned from @NotJrvedivici). Used it in a sandwich tonight with double-coated chicken cutlets and fresh mozzarella toasted on rosemary ciabatta. A great meal after a NY Ranger win.

26 Likes

But that’s the good part of broccoli rabe…

4 Likes

Wednesday night I roasted a chicken with sumac, lemon, and an Afghan chicken rub (fennel, coriander, orange peel, etc). Served over couscous with dried cherries and apricots and roasted Brussels with chopped pistachios and balsamic glaze. That’s Original Sin Black Widow blackberry cider in my glass.

Thursday night very belated birthday trip to a cidery. I made a charcuterie and cheese plate and we had chicken dinner leftovers when we got back.

31 Likes

Congrats on the job offers!!!

2 Likes

Me too! It’s such a long day (5am- 9ish depending upon how long it takes to close the polls) but feel it’s so important.

5 Likes

I had some beets and the last of this year’s tomatoes to use so I made a borscht. Served with mushroom pelmeni, sour cream and dill. A simple meal (I bought the pelmeni) but very good. The pelmeni were unbelievably mushroomy.

23 Likes

Thank you. The extras from today will be vacuum sealed and frozen. A nice treat for rushed days.

1 Like

Thanks! The Pasta Grannies really are wonderful.

2 Likes

We vote by mail in WA state. We get the ballots and a voters guide a few weeks in advance and then fill out ballots at home and drop them into one of many ballot boxes all over town. It’s ridiculously easy and enhances the voter turnout. It makes one wonder why more states don’t do it this way. Except that not everyone wants more voter turnout. Some folks want to make it really hard. Bummer.

11 Likes

It is important! I do it too! 6am to 9:30 pm, deli sandwiches and pizza

3 Likes

We knew we were going to be out of state for election day, so just requested & mailed in our ballots early. It should all be by mail. So much easier.

11 Likes

PA just started to allow voting by mail without a reason for you to not be able to get to the polls in 2020 (pre-primary). You know what happened next! it has been a rough ride, but more people becoming comfortable with it.

4 Likes

It’s a start!

4 Likes

Oregon too.

4 Likes

I’m in NJ. You can vote by mail, vote in person during the early voting period, and vote in person on Election Day. They try to make as easy as possible. I’m amazed how many don’t trust anything but Election Day voting. Even when I tell them you can track your mail-in ballot they don’t believe it.

Next on the agenda is same-day registration.

6 Likes

I am a huge believer in the power of the vote and do a much as I can to encourage voting. I’m involved in an educational program through the League of Women Voters and participate in GOTV programs.

The biggest problem with working the polls is figuring our what to eat. I usually end up with several junk meals during the day and ended with a glass of bourbon when I got home.

8 Likes

Delivery tonight - nigiri set and a spicy salmon maki for him and raw salmon rice bowl for me, with some miso soup and shumai.

21 Likes

Celebration meal? :smiley: Best wishes!

1 Like

Haven’t had a Company lunch in months (the last was 2 weeks BTF, a.k.a. “before the flood” back on August 8th) so we pulled it off today with 21 employees in-house by dragging various tables into the center of the only open space we have in our current temporary space…a very wide aisle between cubes, and having a “family style” lunch with a pick-your-own lunch order from a local sub shop.

Didn’t think I’d be hungry for dinner, but prepped it anyway, since I had already planned it. Then I got hungry. :grin:

A small spinach, mushroom and pancetta pizza with a garlic-herb sauce and a schprinkle of mozz on top. Not too shabby. And took the edge off the late rumblies in my tumbly.

Oh, there was wine! Happy weekend, all!

31 Likes

Take-out udon and gyoza from Raku in Toronto.

20 Likes