What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

I was wondering the same thing.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all you HOs. It’s was a glorious sunny day on the So. Oregon coast.
A cocktail: Bourbon Bramble Clover Club.

My dinner: Turkey tenderloin, rolled in fresh herbs, garlic and bacon, seared, then roasted over onion, carrots, celery and chicken stock for gravy. Baby hasselback potatoes in a pool of sour cream with garlic chives. Stove Top dressing with added celery, onions and chicken broth. Ocean Spray cranberry sauce. Gravy made with said broth and (no judgement please) turkey gravy mix. Shaved brussels sprouts salad. Wine.

Dessert: Will be later, David Lebovitz’s pumpkin ice cream with bourbon maple sauce and pistachios.

23 Likes

Went crazy with pics this year because we were both off ON Thanksgiving and agot to celebrate it on the actual day unlike last year.

Fried asparagus. For years, these were meant to be a side. But they never quite made it to the table. Great snack while cooking, and I added a roasted garlic aioli.

BF’s “White People Turkey”. Looks pretty good if you ask me.

The sides: Bacon Bourbon Brussels Sprouts, julienned carrots with parsley butter, mashed potatoes, mom’s stuffed mushrooms, BF’s sweet potato bake and sausage and cranberry stuffing.

Those who follow me on Instagram can watch a rather dramatic video of me flambe-ing the sprouts. Tried posting it here but the file is too big.

Plate assembled. Didn’t put a dent in it.

26 Likes

I thought you may have been filming from a second story balcony.

2 Likes

It’s all beautiful, and looks delicious!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Some years we host a family Thanksgiving dinner for twelve, with a traditional turkey-mashed-and-gravy menu. Other years, such as this one, it is the two of us. In the latter instance, we’ve settled on a much more casual menu, incorporating the ingredients of the traditional meal but in a more relaxed (and welcome) format.

Roast turkey breast and Swiss on cranberry sourdough. Shoestring potatoes (in our new countertop convection oven). Cider gravy for dipping (secret ingredient: bacon fat). Carrot slaw in vinaigrette. Pickled green beans. Pickled cherries.

For dessert: homemade pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin tart.

Happy Holidays to all!

27 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Mrs. P is not a turkey person, so she made fried softshell crabs (that we vacuum sealed over the summer) with a side dish of delicata squash, Andouille sausage, candied pecans, drizzled with hot honey, and topped with fresh shaved parmigiano Reggiano cheese. It all went great with our favorite inexpensive Zinfandel. We have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

23 Likes

Later:

21 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tonight’s turkey

Some of our dinner - turkey with gravy, mac and cheese, mushroom stuffing, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, scalloped potatoes, cranberry sauce, cornbread.

25 Likes

Our Thanksgiving in NY for 9 (6 adults, 3 kids) started with lunch of slow cooker beef brisket chili that I brought. It became more like a stew as I made it non-spicy and added carrots. Lots of beans, some green bell pepper. Served over mom’s good purple rice. Big hit with the family, even Spring Onion had some after I removed all manner of ingredients except the brisket. :laughing:

IMG_5137

In years past, when we’ve hosted, there was always a mishap when I was charged with the turkey-making. My bro made the turkey but I still managed a mishap—I left all the fancy cheeses at home in Boston. So appetizers consisted of octopus and I made NYT crab cakes, which were really good but fell apart. I will use a tiny bit more panko filler and more Kewpie mayo/dijon next time. Delightful yuzu jalapeño dressing from Brooklyn as the dipping sauce I bought from our local farm.

IMG_5140

IMG_5141

Main event was a group effort. Bro made turkey (he didn’t do anything special and it turned out beautifully) and ribs (because 1 protein isn’t enough for him); I made mashed potatoes with a bit of cream cheese, homemade cranberry sauce with lemon rind; B made tasty crispy stuffing balls; SIL made Brussels 2-ways (delicious Parmesan/Brussels crisps and sautéed), lemony kale salad, mushroom barley soup, and roasted carrots over farro and chickpeas with labne. No Korean side dishes this year. Lots of good wines/beer throughout the day and my bro made Moscow mule-ish libations. Store-bought tiramisu. Everyone was full, happy, and thankful for the bounty and each other.

IMG_5144

IMG_5145

IMG_5146

IMG_5147

IMG_5148

IMG_5149

IMG_5150

IMG_5152

IMG_5153

IMG_5154

IMG_5155

IMG_5157

IMG_5158

We’re here until Saturday when we head to B’s sister’s in CT to watch the big game (Ohio State v Michigan…Go Bucks!). We’ll be feasting on leftovers until then, where my SIL will surely have more luxurious food and wine (Silver Oak and Caymus are their house wines).

ETA: we ate the crab “cakes” on the fancy crackers that I brought to go with the fancy cheeses, drizzled with the yuzu dressing, so at least the crackers came in handy. Still kicking myself about forgetting the cheeses. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

24 Likes

That bird looks spectacular!

3 Likes

When our friends sent out their Thxgiving invitation, and one guest proposed to bring two roast ducks as his contribution we were …. confused. Amused. Certainly, a bold choice for a meal that practically revolves around a ginormous poultry centerpiece :smiley:

He does have a way with duck, the hosts never declined or suggested something else, and so we got to munch on juicy morsels of fatty duck along with the deviled eggs, cheeses, and other nibbles before the main event while sipping Mimosas.

The turkey was pleasantly salty & juicy, dilled green beans the German couple brought delicious, and I even had a spoon each of mashed & the two different dressings/stuffings. I also tried a Korean dish someone brought that seemed to be seasoned rice & carrots in an open dumpling form (?).

I didn’t count the ridiculous number of πs brought, and I personally only tried a tiny slice of untraditional but delish Boston cream pie & had a teeny taste of the hostess’ key lime pie (made GF for the one guest who was no longer around for dessert :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but I wasn’t going to waste my time on any of the store-brought πs.

My salad was snarfed up, leaving just a tiny bowl I may enjoy for lunch, along with some of the turkey we were sent home with.

Overall, just another wonderful evening with good friends :blush:

22 Likes

Wow! That looks like some feast!
I’m in a food coma just looking at the pictures :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nobody went home hungry, that’s for sure. But I think this might’ve been the first Turkey Day where I didn’t feel uncomfortably stuffed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just came down with an eye infection the doctor asked if I had any sneezing or other cold symptoms so maybe it is viral, not pinkeye at all? Feel better

5 Likes

Everything looks great and thanks for showing a pic of your fennel & pomegranate aril salad!

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Finishing that bowl of salad for lunch as I type this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dinner last night was a second thanksgiving meal, but turkey-less this time.

My friend made rack(s) of lamb crusted with mustard, garlic, and herbs as the centerpiece, accompanied by the usual sides of mashed potatoes (2 kinds: butter & olive oil), roasted Brussels sprouts, zaatar-roasted carrots, sausage stuffing (Ina Garten), white gravy, and an endive and celery leaf salad to cut through the richness of everything else.

Dessert was the NYT recipe for self-saucing chocolate cake, prepared by my friend’s 15yo.

We started with some of the beet-cured gravlax I made, but my friend’s husband loves it for breakfast so insisted we put it away and eat it for the day-after breakfast :joy: Still, everyone snuck a few pieces between my slicing it and it being packed up and put away.

The lamb was wonderful, as were the vegetables. The cake was delicious, I’ll have to try making it myself soon.

It was quite lovely to be a guest for a change, and sit and chat and watch and be taken care of instead of doing much of the heavy lifting myself. (I did help serve and clear up, of course, but that’s basic minimum engagement.)

22 Likes

NICE house wines! Dinner looks wonderful!

4 Likes