What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Sockeye salmon picked up at Wegmans yesterday (God, I love a Thursday shop vs a Saturday afternoon shop!) with a light oiling and s/p, cooked on a low temp of 275° for 18 minutes, and glazed with Char-Siu sauce for the last 8 minutes.

Leftover rice pilaf from last night, with some sauteed spinach alongside, with just s/p on that.

Wine. Day 2 of my 11 Day Weekend went swimmingly.

24 Likes

Takeout sushi & sashimi. Casa lingua’s still lagging and neither of us wanted to make anything – not even the cat! Asshole.

Salmon belly & chu-toro nigiri, suzuki & hamachi sashimi, spicy yellowtail roll. Hit da spot :blush:

18 Likes

Three “P”s for dinner. Pickles (not shown), polenta, and pot roast. I did the Mississippi one and I had low expectations. So I was shocked when it was quite delicious. I poured in an entire jar of pepperoncini and it was pretty tart. But I like sour. My kid said it reminded him of sauerbraten. I didn’t share the recipe with my H bc he would have been aghast.

23 Likes

Mesquite-smoked hot wings on the Big Green Egg. Veggie stix and homemade Ranch for me; leftover cheesy mac for him.

Lest anyone think poorly of me, what you’re looking at was just the openers. We finished the entire batch of 24 wings.

23 Likes

(post deleted by author)

14 Likes
8 Likes

Thai-Chinese for dinner tonight.

6 Likes

Maybe if you misted them first with oil? But might be more trouble than it’s worth.

1 Like

These are two of my 2nd daughter’s recent dinners. She and her younger sister were here last weekend and started picking over some of my unused dishes. Between them they also stole the remainder of my jasmine rice, AP and bread flour, and several “extra” boxes of pasta - it was like a Viking raid.

I think the pattern on these plates is called corn flower or some such. I don’t know how old they are. An Army buddy who was best man at my wedding had been using them about 15 years when he gifted them to us as part of his wedding present. He said his grandmother originally bought them, but he doesn’t know when. We used them for about the first 6 years of our marriage then they got shelved in favor of something else my wife wanted.

Salmon rice asparagus

Oh, and among other things she stole - those :arrow_up: are MY socks!

And roasted veggie soup with toasted cheese.

26 Likes

Isn’t it, tho? I first made the NYT fancified version, not expecting much & liked the flavor a lot. But even for the OG low-brow version I never added even just a pat of butter again bc the first time following the recipe I found it far too greasy. Chuck’s got plenty of fat.

Our cat sitter who looked in on Mr. Chonk while we were away proposed a barter deal instead of cash and wants me to make a few meals for her and her partner, my keyboard player. I’m thinking that roast is going to be one of them :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some things we don’t share wirh family members!

2 Likes

What degree of ‘doneness’ is this roast? I’m not all that familiar with white tail.

Look up the pattern on Replacements.com, you might find a treasure!

That Sushi Rice looks perfectly prepared, a very good indicator!

Maybe, but probably not. I know his folks didn’t have a lot of money, and there’s no maker’s mark or other indication of brand.

Souse vide at 122 degrees for four hours then sear .

1 Like

We are lucky to have such good sushi out here :blush:

2 Likes

Toronto’s Frank Ranalli’s hot Italian beef sandwich. Pretty good. My first time ordering one.

15 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Doing laundry and liberating “extra” food staples from Mom and Dad’s house…I LOL when I read of adult children doing this until they have better food staples in their own house. :wink:

7 Likes

Now THAT is a perfect barter deal!

4 Likes