JIYU Thai Hot Pot, Gibson Drive, Markham “ - A surprising, delightful and enjoyable new dining concept experience.

The instance I stepped int

o the welcoming, ultra-high ceiling, contemporary and brightly lit dining space of this new Markham culinary landscape addition. I immediately have a good premonition regarding the outcome of our impending dining experience. According to expectation, this new concept indeed yielded a most gratifying and enlightening dining interlude.

Offering either a fixed menu or a-la-carte option, we decided on the more flexible ALC alternative. Starting off by choosing a Thai coconut base broth for the hot-pot, we followed up by picking our favorite protein ingredients of fatty beef, scallops, mussels, snakehead fish filet, and shrimp paste. To that, we augmented them with additional house signature Thai Yellow Curry Crab and Prawns dishes, Pineapple Fried rice and Crispy Thai Basil Chicken balls. For crafting our own individual dipping sauce mix, a self-serve sauce counter, featuring at least a dozen sauces and condiments….including some super-spicy Thai chili concoctions, were proudly displayed.

To round off our meal, an impressive AYCE dessert buffet bar, containing a pot-pourri of differently flavored and exotic jellies and puddings were offered……Grass jelly, Mulberry jelly, Passionfruit jelly, Sawdust pudding, Coffee Panna-cotta, Coconut sago dessert soup with watermelon…… to name a few. An array of soft-ice cream machines were also located nearby!

Overall, the meal was a wonderfully fun, whimsical and enjoyable experience. Taste and texture profile was alluring, exotic and in some cases out of the ordinary. Quantity of food, in part due to the generous dessert offering, was quite overwhelming, resulting in us feeling full to the gilt!

Worthy of a separate mentioning was the service……. very helpful, friendly and atten

4 Likes

What is in the pani puri shells? (6th pic down)

Those are thin, crispy/crunchy shells stuffed with savory Thai basil chicken rice…kind of like a Thai version of Arancini. Tasty, delightful and not too ’ heavy ’ as their Italian relatives. Extra shells and rice for making extras. Spicy Thai sauce adds a nice punch.

Interesting

The shells are indian — called pani puri or gol gappa or fuchka/puchka depending on where in the country you are.

Clever use. The only other non-indian use of them I’ve come across was at an upscale Israeli restaurant in nyc where they filled them with creme fraiche and salmon crudo. Worked well!

Here’s an example of native use. (Bangladeshi fuchka carts are having a bit of moment in nyc if you read down that thread. In toronto, pani puri or gol gappa are more common given the North Indian population.)

What a fabulous idea! I love hot pot, but taking it the Thai route makes it even better :heart_eyes:

1 Like