What's for Dinner #10 - 6/2016 - June is Bustin' Out All Over Edition!

Last night i went to a meet up from that “other” board to Brighton Beach for russian food! Great company and wonderful meal. To start we had this great garlicky eggplant dip, still warm uzbek bread with sesame seeds, this amazing avocado/radish/dill/cucumber/onion salad, and some sort of slaw style salad with meat that i passed on. Next was the plav, like the best rice pilaf ever, super thin skinned pumpkin dumplings you put the seasoned vinegar on, and potato onion dumplings that were small and fried. Others also had these skewars that come with a big pile of thin raw onion on top. A few bites of the napoleon dessert which was like a crepe cake with cinnamon in it.

WFD tonight i have no idea but it certainly will pale in comparison…

9 Likes

I love Uzbek food - have you been to the Uzbek enclave in Rego Park? Cheburechnaya, YUM. Their mushroom chebureks are good enough to make even ME turn vegetarian for a day! :laughing:

1 Like

WFD: ~ Bisonburgers with mozzarella, basil, tomato. Aioli smeared on grilled Ciabatta rolls first. Bisonburger Caprese?

~ Sugar snap peas with lemon butter from The Best of Gourmet '93. The lemon butter is not at all a complex butter. It’s simply a mixture of melted butter, I use ghee, and lemon jest. After the snaps a blanched for a minute or two the peas are tossed with the mixture. A sprinkle of chopped chives is not amiss here. Quite delicious.

5 Likes

Hit up a produce market to day. Came home and made hummus, babaganoosh and a red pepper spead, Muhamarah. Grilling chicken leg quarters at the moment.

8 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a Frankenchicken breast cut in half lengthwise and marinated all day in the rest of the honey-mustard salad dressing (augmented with Aleppo pepper and some white wine). Baked in the oven, with some broccoli alongside. An easy-peasy dinner after a long couple of days at work. Then I watched the Samuel L. Jackson re-make of “Shaft”. Lots of “mo-fo’ing” in that movie! LOL

It was decided upon waking up that it’s a scallop kind of day. So off to Whole Foods to pick up a few of them for dinner tonight. Pan-seared in a bit of butter, they were served on top of some Israeli couscous made with homemade chicken stock, steamed asparagus, and a quick mango salsa consisting of mango, sweet red pepper, minced Jalapeno pepper, minced parsley, and a couple of tsp. of fresh lime juice. A couple of glasses of wine as the final side dish.

T’was good.

Outlander on the tube tonight.

8 Likes

My whole house is tiny too. A small 1800s worker house less than 4meters wide. The kitchen is generous in that context about 3m x 3m great for working just hard to hold all the extra toys… I like my toys :unamused:

2 Likes

Beautiful Saturday Night Dinner at the Jersey Shore. Went out to eat at a restaurant across from the water, between the nice night, weather, water I almost…ALMOST…forgot my pictures.

Ny strip a perfect medium, creamed spinach and a side of bernaise! Happy Summer Saturday wishes to you all.

7 Likes

Best Hungry Onion photo series ever. BTW, have I ever mentioned how much I love your devotion to red meat? :laughing:

4 Likes

I haven’t been but that sounds like an excellent reason to go there!

I know I know better. It’s really my own fault here yet there i was buying a mini watermelon… It takes like, um…pink? UGH. i was hoping it was warm enough wherever it came from to be a tasty one but no such luck.

I used some in a salad with cilantro, spinach, radishes, edamame, cucumber and green onion. Added a nice texture. The rest of the watermelon will become juice and I won’t buy another til they are at the farmers market

Ha! Thank you! Yeah steak is certainly my thing. As much as I have an overall love of food, I have been doing “low carb” for about a year now so that has given my the “excuse” I need to eat steak 3-4 times per week on average.

1 Like

No need for an excuse, but as a long-term low carber I totally understand the 3-4 red meat meals a week. There’s nothing better on a low-carb diet than a fat, rare ribeye!

2 Likes

Lol… But he is the Minimalist… I am a Maximalist AKA hoarder :grinning:… I have had my share of small nyc kitchens… This may actually be my biggest one since Texas​:smiley: the problem is now I have stuff.

1 Like

Tonights results were meh… I think i left the salmon in the poaching liquid too long. I thought that would keep it juicy but it had the texture of a wet sock dogs get the leftovers :sob: and i think i need to chuck the sesame oil because it gave a stale taste to the cold noodles :sob: cheap bottle of rose was the best part of the meal. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Must have been a beautiful night down the shore tonight… Its even nice in Philly! Those photos evidence an awesome meal!

I always wanted to go eat there… I love the transition in culture as you walk up from Coney Island. Never could get anyone to trek out there with me. Sounds like you had a good time.

1 Like

Really nice looking dish Linda. The diced yellow mango reminds me I need to use up some fresh corn and I love the combo of corn and scallops. I have a bag of Costco scallops in the freezer. It’s what’s for dinner tonight

1 Like

We had a great dinner Thursday - our eggplant dishes were a flop - but only for the first 45 minutes into the evening because I forgot to bring bread :scream: and there was none at our friend’s house except regular white (yuck) and two day old rye - which didn’t go very well with any of our eggplant dishes… but then a couple came with some Indian dal and a basket of assorted fresh naan - so there was bread - and the eggplant dishes disappeared within the next 20 minutes!
Friday we pretty much fasted after an evening of non-stop eating the night before and Saturday we just had some angel hair pasta with a basil/garlic/finely chopped tomato/olive oil sauce and some wine.
Tonight, our son is coming with his girlfriend so on the menu is an old Bobby Flay favorite of mine: Grilled Jerk chicken with a cilantro-mango salsa (inspiration from LindaWhit’s yummy looking dish above). I love this blog!

4 Likes

WFD: ~ Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken/Canadian Living pg. 133: boxed tomatoes; onions; ghee; ginger; chili powder; ground coriander; turmeric; ground cinnamon; ground cumin; chicken stock; almond butter; boneless chicken thighs; sour cream; cilantro. Sauce ingredients cook on Low for 7-ish hours, chicken cut into chunks go in after 6-ish hours, dollops of sour cream & showers of chopped cilantro to serve.

~ Basmati Rice.
~ Tomato, Cucumber, Feta Salad. Medium dice cucumber; grape tomatoes halved; cubes of feta, shredded basil.
Vinaigrette: Red wine vinegar, olive oil, S & P, & a smidge of sugar.

2 Likes

As soon as you see the seeping protein (white gunk) turn off the heat and remove the fish. Residual heat will continue to cook it. Try poaching at a lower temperature. The longer you leave it in the very hot poaching liquid the tougher it becomes.

You can try to minimise oozing protein by lightly salting the fish shortly before cooking. This will draw out moisture. Sear in a hot pan and remove when it’s almost cooked.

3 Likes