What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

8 Likes

Thanks, TheLibrarian28. There were only (American and American-style) fast food in the airport so I didn’t want to eat anything. Drank lots of strong coffee instead.

First thing I ate in 1 and a half days at my hotel in Bahia Magdalena. A simple small bowl of mixed fruits and even smaller yoghurt. The partner had “Huevos Rancheros”.

I’m in Guerrero Negro and leaving for whale camp shortly. No wifi, no flushing toilet, no telly. Just in the middle of nature and whales in the laguna in front of me. Back in 4 days.

My tent

11 Likes

Whale camp? Wow! I hope you decide to report back on the wonders that await you.

1 Like

lol guess you don’t like neighbors? lol That really does look fantastic, enjoy!!!

Lucky you! Good day to miss the television news.

4 Likes

Yogurt cake which I plan too enjoy w/ lemon cream and raspberry puree.

12 Likes

beautiful. since i almost ALWAYS get sick in Mexico (i eat everything) i rarely try fruits because of fear of the water - I should get over that since i try everything else…

2 Likes

today’s excitement:

Crispy chicken skin & scramble egg tacos with homemade habanero sauce.

9 Likes

French toast, maple syrup, powdered sugar, walnuts and creme fraiche

8 Likes

Bacon, egg, cheddar and HP sauce on Toasted Pain de Mie

8 Likes

Thanks, all.

Just got back to Guerrero Negro from “whale camp” a couple of hours ago. Got my tortilla shopping done and now chilling in my room. Have to be at the airstrip at 7am tomorrow. Everything must come to an end. But what an aMAzing experience seeing the whales again. Many emotional reunions with them after 2 long, horrible years… Priceless. Nothing can top this. I loved Mexico the first time and I love it more the second time.

This small town has no real “airport”. Just a military airstrip. They open your bags to check, briefly. I found a fossilised shark tooth and am afraid the X-ray (at other airports) sees it and they would confiscate it. I have wrapped it in aluminium foil and rolled it in some dirty laundry, hoping it’ll make it home with me.

Military airstrip from my first trip

The plane to Hermosillo, just on the other side on the mainland.

Every movement is felt

10 Likes

Farm-fresh egg (not as orange-yolked as i expected them to be but still nice), scrambled with onions/cilantro and a dollop of homemade habanero salsa.

11 Likes

“Huevos al gusto”/eggs to your liking is what you see most often on a breakfast menu. I have tried them all but “a la Mexicana” is still best, cuz tomatoes. Mexican cuisine is heavy on the onion so get use to it if you are not the one doing the cooking.

Always a bowl of fruits for myself

A fantastic (bilingual) book I read every day in Oaxaca. Hotel staff told me it’s not for sale anywhere (I couldn’t find any ISBN number so I had to ask about the book). It is from Oaxacan tourism department and was given to hotels. The sole purpose of its existence is to promote Oaxacan gastronomy. No recipes but it covers everything else in delicious details.

One of the many happy reunion. (The under side of the mouth has no barnacles). Thank you, darling, for your trust.

A fossilised white shark’s tooth I found (made it home with me, the X-ray did not see it!). Baja was under water in prehistoric times. I broke off the soil and sediments on one side with a rock. Everybody gasped when they saw the tooth. It’s quite big, some I’ve seen are not so big.

12 Likes

poached eggs on arugula with parm regg & shallots, Corti red wine vinegar/evoo.

10 Likes

Ooh.

1 Like

moar veggies and eggs…

8 Likes

After much wretching, husband asks “what’s that mean?”

3 Likes

Smoked Salmon Benny to-go.

6 Likes

Egg on toasted pain de mie. Day 5 of switching to ovolactopescatarianism after 16 years of an omnivorous diet.

7 Likes

Welcome! What were you prior to 16 years ago? Unless you’re 16 now, in which case, nothing, I guess.