What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

This morning was tuna noodle casserole. Why not?

1 Like

Weekdays it’s pretty much cereal and tea (lots of tea, strong). Weekends we might go to a local bakery (pain au raisin and coffee) and if I am in town (i.e. central London - all of 20 minutes away!) then coffee and a croissant at Maison Bertaux in Soho is a must. I have been going there since I moved to London 35 years ago, it never changes (which is a good thing in this case) although they did actually get a new coffee machine recently, and I love it.

We eat a fried egg on most mornings. But recently I cured and cold smoked a filet of Steelhead trout, so we’ve been eating Nova Style lox for the last few days

Sometimes garnished with capers or thin slices of preserved lemons

8 Likes

Wouldn’t that be nova-style trout?

Yup but Steelhead trout is Salmonid so lox is still appropriate.

's all tasty stuff.

Bauernfrühstück:

8 Likes

Looks fantastic and one of my Sat or Sun favorite breakfast meals. Don’t have time to deal with the potatoes on work days

Yah, these were leftover diced taters from a recent, incredibly boring leek-potato soup.

Yes, exactly how Bauernfrühstück was invented… to use up leftover potatoes and all other leftovers.

Hope you had Speck somewhere in there, though!!!

All cooked slowly in bacon fat. Natürlich!

phew…
/me wipe forehead with whole forearm

1 Like

Sounds and looks great! Care to share you process?

I skinned the fillets but often leave it on.

You can cure dry or wet. I like wet best. Find the flesh is silkier

Brine in a 12-15% salt solution with a handful of brown sugar for color and flavor but you can leave the sugar out if you want.

Brine for 5 hrs or so then rinse, dry and place on a rack in the fridge for several hours to allow a pellicle to form. I do over night. The fish should be tacky to touch

Cold smoke for an hour or two ( I used apple wood) then wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge.

Slice thin and enjoy

2 Likes

Espresso and a croissant. Croissant was fresh from this morning’s FM haul.

5 Likes

Toasted sausage sandwich. Sausage was a pork & black pudding one from regional supermarket chain, Booth’s. Very tasty, although could have done with more pepper - but I’d still get them again.

1 Like

Quarter of a roasted kabocha squash, eggs, espresso.

2 Likes

I’m thinking bacon & eggs. Not sure how exciting it’s gonna be, however :smiley:

Two scrambled eggs with ichimi togarashi and fried up chicken skin bits I removed from the thighs I made for dinner yesterday.

Crunchy, chickeny deliciousness.

1 Like

My favorite birthday cake (Duncan Hines butter recipe golden) with my favorite frosting (chocolate lovers’ with my tweaks). Thanks, Ma!

3 Likes