What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Tre Marie is my favorite brand, the one with the candied fruit and raisins, love that stuff.

3 Likes

Never developed the taste for it.

1 Like

I had my first taste of one two days ago, the pandan from Lady Wong. It was okay. I have friends that go insane for it.

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of panettone at the food bank around Christmas time.

3 Likes

Is it next to the fruitcake?

1 Like

Probably, however I like fruitcake as long as it doesn’t have that awful candied peel and citron in it.

1 Like

Do your food banks accept home cooked items or just those commercially produced?
Ours does not, though they have a HD certified commercial kitchen in which they prepare goods and put on holiday dinners for those in need. They distribute donated fruits and vegetables from the local gardens and also process/can them. Our food bank accepts donated game and will process it there during the game seasons. I’ve only seen donated commercial baked goods there.

1 Like

Only commercially produced. I’ve only donated fruit & vegetables and I round up at the grocery store.

1 Like

I have been giving all sorts of jars of commercial chutneys, relishes , antipasto and other commerical things I receive as gifts that aren’t to my taste to the foodbank.

I’m sure some people appreciate it.

There have been really long lines at our food banks in Ontario recently. Anything helps. I would think some people are very happy to receive panettones or Fruitcake from the food bank instead of Wonder read or flour tortillas.

2 Likes

Not tempted? I didn’t try meatloaf until I was 43!

And “any pannetone will do” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

A mini Virginia Panettone is a starter panettone for Panettone virgins

img79f

1 Like

No. Not going to buy or make a full sized panettone for myself. It would go bad before I finished it. If offered at a party, I’d certainly try it then. But haven’t had any interest.

1 Like

There are mini ones that are 100 g for less than 10 bucks at most Italian grocery stores and bakeries if you were tempted to try a little one. If one didn’t like it straight or toasted, could turn the remainder into rum balls, French toast or bread pudding.

We have a pretty significant Italian community up here, and panettone tends to go over better than Fruitcake with most people I know, so panettone in a nice box is often a hostess gift I’ll bring to Xmas parties lately.

3 Likes

I’ve enjoyed Pannetone!

1 Like

Oh I know you would’ve tried it, if not enjoyed it :partying_face:

I didn’t like it growing up. My Italian godparents like the traditional one with candied citron. I like the newish versions that have Amarena cherries, or figs, or special booze. I also love the packaging for some of them.

There are even bona fide fancy $$$$ Senza Canditi panettones for Italians who don’t like candied fruit.

It freezes quite well, I have a couple of chunks in the freezer as we speak.

I got a $25-ish pistachio one from TJ Maxx last year. Truth be told, it was a gift I decided to keep as the friendship waned. I didn’t end up liking the pistachio custard bit as it tasted quite eggy. Maybe I’ll get one of TJ’s cheapies to enjoy with coffee. They seem to go on forever (like ham), but at least you can make French toast with the remnants!

1 Like

This the one I always buy. Slathered with butter, toasted slathered with butter and French toasted slathered with butter, yum!

I picked this one up to bring to my sisters for Xmas dinner, haven’t tried it but chocolate chips and custard cream?!? It’s gotta be delicious :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had an old friend give me a box of lavender gluten-free cake mix one year for Xmas. The kind of brand that one doesn’t see at normal grocery stores, but sees at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. LOL. I had always been focused on buying local, usually handmade jewelry.

I’m not gluten-free, have never expressed an interest in lavender anything and have been a bake from scratch person since she met me in 1993. :slightly_smiling_face: I baked it to see what it was like.

I keep trying to accept people the way they are. hahaha.

That friendship had been waning, and I was ready to let it go 5 years ago, then again 3 years ago, then again 6 months ago, and over the last 3 months I decided it was time to let it go. It ran its course.

She texted last week, wants to get together over the holidays. After telling me we didn’t need to exchange Christmas presents anymore, after exchanging them for ~20 years. After not making an effort to meet up in person the last 4 Xmas holidays, after 25 years of Xmas lunches the week before Xmas. After taking 4 weeks to return a voicemail I left in August,that I left on a day I really needed to talk to a friend. I’m conflicted. :rofl:

2 Likes