What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

BaNoi (local Toronto bakery) panettone with raisins and cranberries and Kitten and the Bear (local bakery mostly focused on scones) cherry chocolate Bakewell tart.

11 Likes

A fridge-clean-out frittata which coincidentally looks a lot like @LindaWhit‘s dinner quiche last night: spinach, bacon, caramelized onion, gruyere and a shalloty bechemal.

Leftover biscuits, pan toasted with a little butter until warm and soft. A choice of homemad jams - blueberry or peach.

15 Likes

How were they? Is it sacrilegious to admit on this board that I don’t like Panettone?

1 Like

It tastes like panettone but no citron. Better than Blackbird or Forno Cultura, as good as Loison, not as good as Roy’s. It does contain some orange zest and liqueur but I didn’t mind it in this.

Do you even dislike chocolate chip panettone or other no raisin - no orange - no citron panettone? One person in our house doesn’t like traditional ones (dislikes orange , rind, zest and citron) but likes the sour cherry panettone. I am generally not a big fan of orange in anything other than supremed oranges in Ambrosia.

Kitten and The Bear’s cookies and the chocolate cherry Bakewell Tart are pretty but the flavours are kind of innovative quirky, and not addictive.

I sort of eat some things like stollen, Panettone and fruit cake once or twice each Christmas, even if I’m not crazy about them. Apart from avoiding orange cakes and cookies, I can’t think of any Christmas bread, cake, or cookie I actively dislike.

I would wager half the people here don’t like panettone (irl I know maybe 4 people who do).

1 Like

This thread needs a poll.

Which would you eat? Check as many as 11 options that may apply to you.

• Traditional panettone with citron
  • Traditional panettone without citron or candied fruit
  • Traditional panettone without raisins
  • Panettone with lemon or limoncello
  • Chocolate chip or chocolate panettone
  • Pandoro
  • Salt Caramel Panettone
  • Vegan Panettone
  • Gluten-free Panettone
  • Nutella Panettone
  • Sour Cherry Panettone
  • Dislike all Panettone
  • Dislike all Pandoro
  • Will eat Panettone to be polite
  • Will eat Panettone if it’s free
  • Will eat Panettone if famished
  • Would choose Panettone over fruitcake
  • Would choose Panettone over Stollen

0 voters

1 Like

I find it a bit dry… but you’re right, I would likely eat chocolate chip panattone!

1 Like

I might save you a bit of this one. The expensive ones ( which you shouldn’t buy if you don’t like panettone) are moist and buttery. Not dry at all.

There is a huge difference between the $8-$30 panettones, the $40-$80 panettones (Loison is good at this level and does make a tiny one , but again, don’t buy unless on sale :rofl:) and $100 panettones (Roy’s, I bought the chocolate chip one and it was decadent) in terms of how moist and how buttery they are!

2 Likes

You forgot “I’ve never had Panettone.”

4 Likes

Tre Marie is my favorite brand, the one with the candied fruit and raisins, love that stuff.

3 Likes

Never developed the taste for it.

1 Like

I had my first taste of one two days ago, the pandan from Lady Wong. It was okay. I have friends that go insane for it.

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of panettone at the food bank around Christmas time.

3 Likes

Is it next to the fruitcake?

1 Like

Probably, however I like fruitcake as long as it doesn’t have that awful candied peel and citron in it.

1 Like

Do your food banks accept home cooked items or just those commercially produced?
Ours does not, though they have a HD certified commercial kitchen in which they prepare goods and put on holiday dinners for those in need. They distribute donated fruits and vegetables from the local gardens and also process/can them. Our food bank accepts donated game and will process it there during the game seasons. I’ve only seen donated commercial baked goods there.

1 Like

Only commercially produced. I’ve only donated fruit & vegetables and I round up at the grocery store.

1 Like

I have been giving all sorts of jars of commercial chutneys, relishes , antipasto and other commerical things I receive as gifts that aren’t to my taste to the foodbank.

I’m sure some people appreciate it.

There have been really long lines at our food banks in Ontario recently. Anything helps. I would think some people are very happy to receive panettones or Fruitcake from the food bank instead of Wonder read or flour tortillas.

2 Likes

Not tempted? I didn’t try meatloaf until I was 43!

And “any pannetone will do” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes