What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

It was all good, I really like grilled corn the smokiness and caramelization
seems to tame the sweetness which I often find off putting
I’m going to go with beast, referring to the lobster :wink:

Are you right on the water, nice!

kitty :smiley_cat:
EDIT: I could be cooking over telephone poles for all I know, tasty ones though if they are. I have to ask DH what kind of wood it is

4 Likes

We dined al fresco on the deck for the first time this year. Below is a link to the details and pictures in the main WFD thread.

4 Likes

What kind of spice did you use on the corn, if any? Looks great! The lamb looked amazing too!

Thank you, really kept it simple. It may seem boring, but I believe less is more when using really good ingredients and cooking over fire. I just melted good butter to which I added some crunchy salt and rolled the corn around in it before placing on the grill, it didn’t need a thing more. I’ve been eating corn steamed with nothing lately if it’s good. I like Australian lamb on the grill because it can stand up to an intense marinade and smoke, just seems to make it better. I use a more traditional marinade when cooking lamb, usually domestic, in the oven.

2 Likes

Not only does it sound great, but visually it’s really wonderful as well. I’m jealousy of the outdoor setup you guys have too.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr. Met! I only wish we had a larger deck. There isn’t much room to move around, but we make the most out of every inch. It will look even better once the flowers grow in.

In a moment of insanity, we bought a tawa at Patel Brothers today so we could make our own naan.

12 Likes

Thoughts on that pan? I have always made naan in a regular pan or in grilling weather, directly on the grill grates.

2 Likes

Pan works great. No complaints. $8.99 at Patel Brothers.

Only tricky part is making sure the bottom doesn’t burn because you can’t lift it to check.

1 Like

Nice! Also, that naan looks DELICIOUS!

2 Likes

Naan looks delicious!

I’m curious what prompted you to buy a tava for it though - did someone at Patel brothers suggest it?

1 Like

My BF and I have been really getting into making Indian food at home. I usually end up cooking with jar simmer sauces or spice packets and then frozen naan on the side, but we wanted to become a little more adventurous and make our own naan. The cashier saw the tawa and a bag of chappati flour and was impressed! LOL

1 Like

It was! :smiley:

Aha. I bet the cashier thought you were going to make chapatis… traditional use for a tava, especially with a bag of chapati flour to go with :joy:

So far I’ve heard of people trying to mimic tandoor results using a cast iron pan, inverted kadhai/wok, dutch oven, pizza stone, grill/grill pan - looking at your delicious naan, I’ll add tava to that list :grin:

4 Likes

We looked up a bunch of recipes for making naan using cast iron or even baking it in the oven, but none seemed like it would get the job done. With this pan only $8.99, we figured why not just give this a shot…especially with portable tandoori ovens costing around $600!

This was only a trial run, but I thought they came out very good. The flavor was there. Perhaps not restaurant quality, but certainly better than the pre-made stuff sold in stores.

The char and blistering look great! Did you use yeast / egg / yogurt?

I make chapatis but buy naan (albeit infrequently).

A friend uses pizza dough for her naan - makes sense, nice and yeasty.

1 Like

No yeast or eggs, but there was yogurt. BF made the dough, it rested for four hours, then I did the grilling.

I will still buy frozen naan as well. Shop Rite sells a 2-pack for $4. Patel Brothers has a 16-pack for $5. I stocked up yesterday!

4 Likes

As most of you know by now, DH is strictly a meat eater. He will occasionally crave sushi rolls , with lots of stuff in them to drown out the raw fish. He absolutely will not eat cooked fish, he can’t handle the texture, it isn’t pretty! Last night he had leftover lamb for dinner and I made, for the first time with guidance from corvette_johnny via HO messaging, poke or something akin to it. This was not a traditional preparation.

I had decent ahi, mediocre soy sauce and sesame oil so there was a need to add ingredients to create something palatable. I used soy sauce, sesame oil, grated fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, scallion, avocado, sugar, a tiny bit of peanut butter and topped with toasted sesame seeds and served it over an improvised sushi rice. I had some wasabi on the side.

DH likes cold sesame noodles which is why I added the peanut butter, no tahini in the house, in hopes that it would make the dish appealing to him, and indeed it did. He ate his dinner and mine, this is a big deal and a total win!!! Thank you Corvette_johnny for being so generous with your time, and for preventing me from destroying it altogether. I look forward to making this next time the way you suggested, which will more suit my tastes.

10 Likes

Mrs. P made smoked salmon pasta tonight. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

1 Like

We had a nice al fresco dinner on the deck. Below is a link to the pictures and details in the main WFD thread.

3 Likes