What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Thanks everyone and BossaNova / notJr for the likes, quite a compliment coming from you guys. This was by far my favorite and IMO the best so far … less is more sometimes.

3 Likes

Chowdom
Maybe reecipe? cooking instructions? Never did this but thinking of trying!

sure
mine was 11 lbs
I cut the fat cap but left it attached to make it easier to make slits in the meat below, you can go right through if you prefer, some people prefer this so there is no shrinkage

make deep slits all over pork, pulverize or make a paste using the following ingredients
olive oil
garlic
oregano
parsley
black pepper
salt
fill the slits with the mixture, can stick slices of garlic in as well

for marinade
olive oil
white vinegar
white wine citrus chardonnay vinegar
garlic
s&p
parsley
I marinate in a giant sized zip lock placed into a bowl,in refrigerator, usually for 2 days but overnight is fine
sprinkle skin with
sazon tropical
adobo
to aid in crisping (got this tip from a cooking video and it really made a difference)
I follow serious eats cooking temps
preheated 250 degree oven approx. 8 hours
remove from oven tent with foil let rest at least half hour bring oven temp to 475/500
and blast for 10 to 15 minutes to get skin to bubble keep an eye on pork so it doesn’t burn

In the past I have cooked the pork on a rack over a rimmed sheet pan but this time
I used a stainless steel pan and filled it with a couple of inches with mix of water mixed with vinegar, I preferred the texture using the liquid and had lots left to moisten leftovers.
Change up anything you like to suit your tastes
I used a lot of vinegar this time because the pork had a gammier smell than it usually does, the vinegar took care of that, sour orange if you can find it would do the same thing
EDIT: the reason I wrote less is more is because in the past I have used many more seasonings including cumin, cilantro, sofrito, lime, lemon, orange … definitely prefer what I used this time, it allowed more of the pork flavor to come through for some reason

5 Likes

thanks!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome

Scroll up this thread to December 18th to see gcaggiano’s post featuring pernil that was served at his holiday party, try not to eat your computer screen.

2 Likes

The sauce vs gravy debate always amuses me. As someone who isn’t Italian, I say sauce, but what the hell do I know? Lol

For me it’s pasta sauce, marinara sauce, meat sauce, but Sunday gravy. It just rolls off the tongue and you know it’s something special and different. Man I miss Sunday gravy, haven’t made it in a while.

@chowdom Can’t beat that 77c pork, yours looks glorious!! My mom picked one up for me so I didn’t buy one, but my friends wanted some spicy pork bulgogi so I went and picked one up after the sale, it’s still 99c which is still good. Deboning is a bit of work but I got a couple quarts of tasty stock out of it, and enough bulgogi to feed 10. Plus I boiled the skin for a few and it’s going on the grill alongside the bulogi for a tasty treat. Can’t beat that for 10 bucks!

3 Likes

Thanks joonjoon, I hope you enjoy yours … mmm spicy pork bulgogi, does not get much better than that. No stock for us, but there are two extremely happy Siberian Huskies across the street enjoying what could have been :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rustic Chicken Pot Pie

And Chicken Mole with Yellow Rice

Who bought way too much chicken at what should have been 5 am at Wegmans? This guy!

10 Likes

6 corned beef, shepherds pie, reuben dip, buffalo chicken dip, chicken liver mousse, boozy shamrock shake shots, chili.
And lots of booze.

2 Likes

Justin’s homemade apple pie from a few days ago. He’s been baking up a storm and experimenting with homemade dough for all kinds of meals lately.

I’ll never be thin. :sob:

8 Likes

With pies like that, being thin sounds overrated!!!

3 Likes

Anyone hear that the pork shoulder is on sale again …please give a shout as to where and when!
Thanks!

1 Like

Chicken cutlets last night with homemade breadcrumbs. Used a loaf of Italian bread I got at Lidl and it worked amazingly well. Added salt, pepper, garlic powder, fresh parsley, a dash of Adobo, and some Pecorino. I’ll have to make my own bread crumbs more often.

10 Likes

Italian style stuffed yellow and red peppers. Problem is there is little contrast. I think green peppers would have made a better picture.

5 Likes

Brilliant minds and palates;

Chicken cheesesteak stuffed peppers!

6 Likes

I must have missed the pepper memo! Looking good guys. And Greg, that fried goodness is speaking my language.

2 Likes

I was looking through my freezer the other day and came across an unexpected treat; some leftover fennel porchetta from Sam’s Butcher Shop that was vacuum sealed. That package must have been close to a year old. It may not look pretty but it was delicious :yum: The fatty part just melted in your mouth like butter. Mrs. P made some spicy Asian style Brussels sprouts on the side.

3 Likes

For a while I thought this dish would never come to light. But despite an internet outage that forced me to phone a friend for help with the recipe, here is Slow Braised Short Rib with Hunter’s Gravy over broad noodles.

Any and all HOs in the area are welcome to stop by for a plate.

10 Likes

That looks fantastic enjoy!

1 Like