What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

That looks great! What does Mrs P use for pork in that dish? I have never cooked any LA style dishes but I want to try to cook some. Pork fat rules :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. The pork in the gumbo is spicy and smoky andouille sausage.

1 Like

Yesterday, Justin spent his day off making Monday Sunday Sauce (or is it gravy???) with sausage, meatballs, and brasciole. Even made the rolls from scratch. I chipped in with some pancetta Brussels Sprouts. Sorry mom. Sorry grandma. That sauce was the best I’ve ever had.

And this for dessert.

5 Likes

Chocolate WINE? Not a liqueur? Do tell…

1 Like

Gravy

2 Likes

Red gravy - in order to differentiate between it and brown gravy.

2 Likes

The sauce vs gravy debate always amuses me. As someone who isn’t Italian, I say sauce, but what the hell do I know? Lol

My coworker always makes some funny jokes. He says “I’m not Italian, I’m Sicilian.” He is full blooded.

2 Likes

What kind of sausage did you use?

That’s gravy!

How was that wine? I bought that once for my sister, a self named chocoholic. She once got into a car accident because she had to stop for a chocolate bar. She said it was an emergency!

@corvette_johnny my grandfather always said the same thing!

1 Like

@CurlzNJ and @gracieggg

The wine is different from others I’ve had because it is not cream nor is it a liqueur. I once had something called ChocoWine which was literally cream-based liked Bailey’s only using wine instead of whiskey. However, it was long on chocolate and short on wine. It could have been anything they used.

However, this Chocolate Shop wine has a great balance of both. It IS wine, but with heavy chocolate notes. It is also sweet. We saved this for dessert (because I was basing it off of my previous experience) but this would have paired well with an actual meal.

I’m not a big wine guy, but I enjoyed it. Enough to buy it again? Maybe, maybe not. I found it in PA for $14 I think it was.

1 Like

A mixture of hot and sweet pork sausage. The brasciole too was pork, not beef.

1 Like

Made an awesome chicken parm (using leftover Subday sauce) with Tuscan mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach tonight. However being several drinks into the evening already it skipped my mind to take a picture.

2 Likes

Chick parm, tatoes, spinacha……knocking a few down…
Photos are not what they are cracked up to be… don’t worry we got the “picture”!!! (lol)

3 Likes

My cat Beavis liked to perch himself on the bar and watch me clean fish, surprisingly he never made a move on them. His favorite was raw fajita scraps that I was trimming up.

I stole him from the neighbors, really we adopted each other because they pretty much abandoned him. His name was Garfield but I couldn’t deal with that hence the name change which he quickly caught on to.

He loved watching me work in my large vegetable garden. There are cats and there are great cats and he was a great one.

8 Likes

Please tell me you had another cat named Butthead, because Beavis alone is just cruel.

7 Likes

After a great lunch with an old friend at Siam Basil I was inspired to make these pork and shrimp fritters that are going in between a loaf of bread from Alphonso’s along with some pickled veg to make my favorite homemade bahn mi.

10 Likes

They sure do

Made a spinach, hot sausage, and provolone pie for dinner. Wrestled with my conscience about whether or not to use tomato sauce but naked won out! Glad I went that way as it was very tasty.

6 Likes

Pork shoulder at 77 cents a lb I couldn’t resist, also DH groveled, so pernil it was … I’ve made about a half dozen of these in the past six or so months I changed things up a bit … this one looks and smells really good … I’ll report back
Will be dinner tonight and tomorrow night and the next night …

12 Likes

Wow! That looks great. I can certainly understand the groveling.

2 Likes