What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Last night I made pretzel encrusted chicken with a beer cheese sauce. No pictures. One of those meals that tastes delicious but photographs like hell.

I hate IPA’s, but they work well in cooking. The bitterness complimented the creaminess of the cheddar cheese well in the sauce.

2 Likes

Did you buy or make the pretzel crust? (If bought, where? If made, how?) Gratzie

I crushed nearly an entire bag of mini pretzels. Did it in the blender. I made sure it was a mix of pretzel chunks and fine pretzel dust. Breaded the chicken as I would for a normal cutlet: dredging in seasoned flour, dip in egg (also added some IPA to that instead of milk), and then covered it with the pretzel mixture. I also added black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard powder. I impressed myself that I was able to get it to stick without having to add any breadcrumbs at all. There was no need for any additional salt in the mixture because of the pretzels, though I did garnish with some coarse pretzel salt I picked up in Amish country the other day. I did snap this one pic while they were resting after frying:

6 Likes

Greg,
What about cooking time and temperature? Did you make any adjustments because the pretzels do have more sugar than just plain bread crumbs?
Otherwise they look beautiful.

1 Like

I pan-fried them. Same amount of time as I do for breadcrumbs, and on a flame a little higher than medium. I wish I could say how long on each side. I do it without thinking haha

1 Like

That sounds great! I wonder how this would be with winter flounder for a good sandwich with tarter sauce. We catch those and season them up similarly but I’ve never tried pretzel. Normally it is some italian crumbs mixed with parm and pecorino romano cheese. Some butter melted in the oil makes these pop. So good! I might have to experiment now. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

I’m sure the pretzel breading can be used on almost anything. Might make a good pork chop too.

I use a plain old ap flour dredge but I season the thighs with my secret spice mix first. My favorite is mostly white pepper and called _Hot Flavor Salty Marinated Powder _ and the other is simply Red Pepper Powder.

10 minutes a side in 350 degree oil gets them nicely crispy.

For the sauce use your favorite Gojujang sauce - I currently like MIL or Mother In Law’s and add in a stick of melted butter, a spoonful of crushed garlic, a spoonful of chipotle sauce and about a fourth as much honey as hot sauce. Toss the hot crispy thighs in the sauce and eat right away.

One bonus is that the hot sauce keeps the cats away from the warm chicken :grin:

2 Likes

I will have to try this. My cat Oakley (rip) used to eat red bell pepper and broccoli…quite strange but interesting to witness.

2 Likes

Our friends celebrated their 40th anniversary over the weekend and invited us over with over 25 other people. They even invited the priest who married them, who is 90 years old and a Monsignor now. He gave a nice little speech. There was a ton of food. I couldn’t get pictures of everything. Some of the highlights were octopus salad, lollipop chicken, shrimp and grits, sesame cold noodles with pork, chicken with tomatillo and jalapeno sauce, Asian style pork lettuce wrap, A huge Imperial sized bottle of 1987 Kenwood Cabernet. An Imperial size bottle is 6 litres and the equivalent of 8 regular 750 ML bottles. It was still good after 32 years. There was also a raspberry tart and other desserts.

9 Likes

Good lord! That is a feast! Next party you attend…I’m going to crash it haha! :smile:

4 Likes

They even ordered 90! White Castle belly bombers. With all of the items that my friend slaved over and cooked, the White Castle burgers were the most popular. Of course this wasn’t the usual gourmet dining crowd :grin:

1 Like

Mrs. P made chicken tacos with garlic, red onions, chopped red, yellow, and orange mini peppers, chipotle powder, hoisin sauce, homemade guacemole, radishes, green onions, queso cotija cheese, and fresh parsley :yum:

6 Likes

once again- wow!!!

1 Like

Separate of looking very tasty, that’s a phenomenal PHOTO, Eli!

1 Like

Thanks @CurlzNJ and @Metsfan86 ! Believe it or not this chicken was a crappy free rotisserie chicken that we got from Fairway. They had some promotion where if you spend a certain amount you get a free rotisserie chicken. The chicken looked awful, but Mrs. P made lemonade out of lemons :grin: She shredded the chicken and kept adding stuff to it until it tasted delicious. The guacemole and hoisin sauce really helped.

3 Likes

20190213_141624

Enjoyed some ceviche, followed by crispy chicken thigh with roasted onion alongside spinach with mushroom and garlic.

8 Likes

prayzer…O VA DA TOP!

1 Like

WOW!..WOW! WOW!

1 Like

As the band Little Feat says ‘she makes a mighty rad gumbo’ :yum: It was thick & spicy. Mrs. P doctored the original gumbo up a little by adding duck fat, flour, and Cajun spices to make it thicker and spicier. It went great with a 2013 Bergevin Lane Columbia Valley cabernet, which brought out the spices even more.

6 Likes