What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

You boil chicken? Please elaborate. Never heard of such.

Nothing different. Just a Saturday night and a little snow predicted. I was wondering what people were cooking tonight.

2 Likes

Bob’s doing slow cooked ribs in the oven:

https://www.ehow.com/how_4783765_ovenbaked-pork-ribs.html?utm_source=facebookADsKW&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=keywee&kwp_0=441800&kwp_4=1807534&kwp_1=768806

Oops, just realized this is for NJ. Sorry. Any thought of removing that qualifier?

1 Like

usually some sort of comfort food…bonus points if you use the oven long term and heat the house extra (we tend to have older housing stock in NJ- esp in the particular area many of us are clustered in).

1 Like

It would make a good eggroll! Dip it in 1000 Island and make it the 3 (ethnic) amigos!

2 Likes

Probably rain here for me but since my husband is out chasing the snow (for fun) I’m making “my” food. Red lentil coconut curry soup for lunch and I’m making some version of a bread salad with shrimp for dinner.

2 Likes

Yum! Post some pics of this curry : ) I think I might get rain here in middletown too. It’s raining lightly here now

1 Like

Sorry! No pics! I ate it and froze the rest. I followed this (minus cilantro which I didn’t have) https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup

2 Likes

You take the loins of pork and brown them in butter on all sides on the stove. Then place in the crock pot, sprinkle with a pack of onion soup/dip mix, then lather on a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce. Add one cup of water to the pot, then cook on low for five hours. After you remove the pork for slicing, add two tablespoons (or more) of Dijon mustard to the pot and swirl around to get a tasty au jus.

This is an incredibly easy “set it and forget it” recipe that requires few ingredients and little prep.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a crispy parmesan and panko crusted pork chop, dipped in an egg and balsamic dijon mustard batter, with roasted delicata squash on the side :yum: The crust was the best part.

5 Likes

Wow that looks incredible. Have been in mood for some pork chops lately too. Mouth is currently watering.

1 Like

This is how the diet is going: pizza fritte as an appetizer before some delicious (and very not photogenic) pastichio. What’s not to like about fried dough and marinara?

6 Likes

Mrs. P made sausage, peppers, and onions with smoky and spicy andouille sausage from samsbutchershop.com It was topped with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese.

4 Likes

No cooking tonight. A combination of laziness and wanting to celebrate Chinese New Year with some Americanized, MSG-laced takeout. We ordered from Happy Garden in Keansburg. Not exactly a food mecca, but with my usual Number One Chinese in Hazlet giving me a piece of metal in my beef and broccoli last week, I needed to change it up. Happy Garden is competant. Some nights it is excellent, others it is merely average.

happygarden1

Ever since Sichuan Cottage’s glorious wontons in hot oil, I have been searching for a place closer to where I live that can do the same. Still to no avail. These were listed as “Szechuan Wontons with Hot Oil”. Not only did they send dumplings instead, but that sauce is clearly not oil (it was essentially garlic sauce). While it tasted good, it was not what I was expecting and horribly mislabeled. Maybe with actual wontons it would have worked better.
happygarden2

1 Like

Some other food from the last few days.

Super Bowl Sunday: I don’t give a shit about football, but it was cause to try our hand at homemade boneless wings (half buffalo, half General Tso’s). Using cubed chicken breast tenderloins worked wonderfully, and a double-dredging in seasoned flour gave them the look, feel, and taste of restaurant quality boneless wings. I would say they were better than what Buffalo Wild Wings offers, but I really can’t stand the place.

hc

Justin’s creation of chocolate chip brioche rolls. Delicious when warmed and topped with some butter.

hc2

6 Likes

Ugh. Those wontons make me SAD. You know the answer…

1 Like

Clearly the cook at the take out said “WTF” when he saw the order and “I’ll just wing it” and came up with your concoction… BTW are those frozen peas & carrots?

3 Likes

Sure looks like it! :no_mouth:

1 Like

Thought about different ways to make chicken today and ended up with the favorite KFC

Almost the same Korean sauce too. Boring but delicious.

4 Likes

Doesn’t look boring to me! Do you have a recipe?