What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Those (semi-boneless) quail from D’Artagnan are what my chef friend used for his huge holiday party… They’re already butterflied and all of the tiniest bones are removed and they were delicious!

I’ve seen this site mentioned elsewhere. And like many, I was with CH for a few years. I’d like to maintain my anonymity. For now anyway :slight_smile: I’ve been quite impressed honestly. Thanks.

4 Likes

Those onion rings look amazing!! But i would have skipped dinner all together to have cinnamon rolls… :heart_eyes:
But omfg, the recipe didn’t say how many it makes?? That’s hysterical, you’ve got enough for a party! Or three meals a day for a week for both of you ;))

I think almost everyone here is from ch. I used to post all the time and they ruined it with their shitty moderators. Here you can speak what you want to say and not get harassed. It’s a cool forum.

4 Likes

From what I understand the mods here are on the take, so those who pay get to play.

(By the way your December payment is still outstanding CJ)

5 Likes

Re those onion rings, could you please elaborate? Vidalia onion season isn’t that far off!

I don’t need any cement feet!

1 Like

We’ll be at your crawfish boil :smile:

2 Likes

These were completely boneless Spanish quail breasts the size of big scallops. No bones to worry about :slightly_smiling_face: Those D’Artagnan semi boneless quail are very good as well.

1 Like

Not exactly cinnamon rolls but I did make these the other day…

8 Likes

I basically had kimchi (store bought) for dinner last night. I started on a jar while responding to emails and suddenly half is gone. Whoops!

2 Likes

Wow! A+ on those onion rings and my mouth is watering for those cinnamon buns! If he does that again, I bet they would freeze well if you leave off the frosting.

1 Like

You can actually freeze them before baking, then let them thaw and bake, then frost. That’s a mountain of buns!!

3 Likes

Oh much better idea! I assume you take it through proofing and pop them in the freeze when you would normally bake them?

“Diet”

:joy:
Aaaaannnddd that’s why I have to make my own now! My favorite brand is not cheap!
And it’s very snackable stuff

1 Like

So I polished off an entire mason jar, half yesterday and half today. I’m very happy with the results for using what I had laying around.

It has some funky kimchi flavor and some ingredients (ie flavors) came out after a few day fermentation. The garlic flavor was there, onion was there but subtle, ginger was totally missing. Fish sauce was there a little and I think I put just enough to not overpower it. Heat was almost perfect for my liking and quite spicy. It was indeed a little salty but I liked it. Next time I might rinse the cabbage but it certainly didn’t affect me.

I’m going to let my other two jars meld in the fridge for a day or two and see if any other flavors develop. For 5 bucks I can’t remember a more fun food experiment lately.

People at work walked by my desk and saw me eating some red stuff with chop sticks and everyone was like “what are you eating?” One dude near me complained about the smell lol. I think I got the fermentation right if he could smell it :slight_smile:

Anyway, I had a good time and it really exceeded my expectations. I thought I was going to screw it up but I was actually surprised. Thanks to all that encouraged me to try this. Next batch will have fresh ginger and maybe some radish. The “economy” kimchi recipe was a cool learning experience. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Upthread @gracieggg gave details, they sound easy!

If you have access to any asian groceries fresh ingredients for kimchi get even cheaper- in nyc chinatown nappa cabbage is often under a dollar a pound, vs my regular grocery which sells it for closer to $2/lb - which adds up with buying 3-4lbs worth! Also a great source for daikon if you want to do daikon kimchi and so on.

I love that you brought it to work :joy:

1 Like

I do have a local Chinese market but by the time I drive across town, I think it is easier and maybe cheaper to save the gas money and just drive a mile away to my local grocery store. It is probably a wash once I save 60 cents a pound vs gas pricing. (If their cabbage is even that cheap)

I want to try that white kimchi recipe too.

Not one person knew what I was eating. We used to have a Korean guy that worked with us. I wish I could have had him sample it to give me some advice. He visited Korea often to see family and brought me back some cool stuff. Nice guy! For now I’m making gringo kimchi and plan to get better each time…I hope.

4 Likes