What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

I’ve been grilling mine outside lately with trader joe’s dough. Gives it a whole new texture, more like a flatbread than a pizza…I’m sure the plethora of oil it requires had a good bit to do with the crust I get.

4 Likes

Do you use semolina or any sort of flour under the dough? I had a little trouble with sticking but only had flour. Good idea on the oil. That absolutely helps with the crunch factor.

Grilling is by FAR my favorite way to make pizza. It comes out so crispy, charred and fast! Huge fan.

1 Like

I only use flour when rolling the dough out on the counter. Forgot to mention that! @NotJrvedivici

2 Likes

On New Year’s Eve I helped Mrs. P, (who is from New Orleans), make a big batch of dark roux gumbo in a 22 quart pot. It took around 8 hours but we have enough for the winter :grinning: It contained shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, okra, and the Holy Trinity (chopped onions, celery, and green bell peppers) among other ingredients. We had some tonight with Cajun Chef green hot sauce and tabasco sauce to give it a little kick. We also added some rice to soak up the roux, and make a more substantial dinner out of it. The andouille sausage added a little smokiness to it.

10 Likes

Wowzers! Mrs P is at it again! I never knew you had a cat too. Versace didn’t want any food? Lol

I’ve got some dried tepin peppers flown in from my friend in Mexico. When I see you I will bring some. They are hot! Some crushed ones will really wake up a dish! They are from Sonora. I’m sure Mrs P will do wonders with these but make sure to go lightly handed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny :blush: The peppers will go great with the gumbo.

Have to meet someone in Keyport in the AM for breakfast…Lenora’s for Broad street ?

1 Like

@corvette_johnny and @gcaggiano to the courtesy phone…

1 Like

I’m not a big breakfast guy but there is a diner right on route 36. It’s your average diner. Besides that, I don’t know of any good spots for breakfast within town. @goodparmesan or Greg can probably make recommendations.

3 Likes

Yes. We enjoyed it a lot. They have regular American breakfast and Mexican offerings.

3 Likes

The Yelliow Rose sucks, it’s probably acceptable for breakfast but that’s about it. Honestly there’s an I-hop I would recommend before the Yellow Rose, I thought you liked a small Diner somewhere near Old Glory for their burgers? Maybe they do a good breakfast?

2 Likes

Broad Street is way overrated. I don’t know how they always “win” those best NJ diner contests. Lenora’s is average. More of a lunch spot with their Mexican selection. For a breakfast meet up, though, I would go with the diner…or you could travel 10 minutes up 35 and hit the New Monmouth Diner, the best in the area IMO.

2 Likes

Yellow Rose is abominable.

2 Likes

I really don’t eat at diners much, maybe twice a year and that is usually at weird hours. No diners stick out as being “good” but more of a convenience at off hours. That is why I deferred to greg or goodparm. I know I’ve been there a few times and it wasn’t terrible. As Greg said, there are better ones within a ten minute drive. Of course there is a taco bell :smile:

I wish Jims burger haven was still around

1 Like

Middletown-area diner expert here by default. When I was coaching hockey, my staff and I practically lived at the duo of New Monmouth and Kings Arms from September through November for years.

1 Like

1000000% agree with you on Broad Street. I don’t get the hype and it is super tight in there.

1 Like

Thanks had breakfast there this morning…location worked out well, my contact was coming from Toms River, myself from Manhattan.
Food was good, service perfect…
Thanks again guys!

2 Likes

We enjoyed the chilaquiles at Lenora’s.

1 Like

Last night: Garlic-cauliflower mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus with garlic, olive oil, black pepper, and Pecorino Romano. Perfect compliment to some awesome (but not very photogenic) slow cooker pot roast.

d1

d2

5 Likes