What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Wow, those look terrific!

2 Likes

Mrs. P made her version of a Cuban sandwich with applewood smoked ham, roast pork loin with a light Cajun dry rub and olive oil, Swiss and provolone cheese, mustard, black and white truffle butter, on a pressed baguette, with Zapps Voodoo Heat chips and air fried shishito and mini peppers on the side. I snuck in some chips into the sandwich for a little extra heat and crispiness :wink: It went great with Esser Cabernet, a nice weekday wine.

5 Likes

I’ve been the pizza man lately, but tonight was a flatbread instead. Topped with thinly sliced potatoes (pan-fried partially on the stove first with butter, olive oil, and a splash of extra virgin for flavor), garlic, onions, parsley, salt, pepper, and shaved Asiago cheese. Edges sprinkled with Pecorino Romano. It was savory, salty, sharp, and delicious.

flatbread

7 Likes

That looks FANTASTIC, Greg!!

1 Like

It was! :smiley:

1 Like

Our son needed to report back to school today, so we sent him on his way with a full belly. I was never a fan of Omaha steaks in general, and filets as a rule but these were tasty.
Team Practice at 6P. After a night of ringing in the New Year at Porta and parts unknown, I fear this may be making another appearance later today, …if I know the coach. :smiley:

4 Likes

After an amazing lunch of about a ton of stone crab claws:

I made my Mexican stuffed peppers for dinner later:

6 Likes

Good stuff Dave! Happy new year buddy.

Where did you pick those claws up at? Last time at char they wanted 17 dollars a claw lol

Last night was a combination of drinks and homemade apps (pictured below) as well as Chinese takeout. Ended up being way too much food. I don’t know what we were thinking!

nye1
I lost count of how many of these I had.

nye2
Fried artichoke hearts.

nye3
Pan de Champagne from Wegman’s. Described as French bread with a touch of rye flour.

nye6
The star of the show right here. It was a softer, sharper brie if I had to describe it. Spread like butter. In the background is French Cultured Butter (also from Wegman’s) which I used to sautee the next dish.

nye4
Escargot

nye5
Pretzels and beer-cheese dip.

Did we need the Chinese? No, probably not.

6 Likes

But you had the leftovers for today!

1 Like

Beautiful pizza! We just came back from a few days in the Catskills where I made pizza for the group. I realized half way up that I forgot my pans and hoped they would at least have a baking sheet (they did!) I have a pizza stone at home but never really liked it as much as a cheap pan. Do you have one?

1 Like

Nice claws crab!

I use a cheap old pan. Have a bunch from my mom. She used to bake thousands of cookies a year, so they are well-seasoned. She has new ones now, so I use her old ones for pizzas and stromboli. They work excellent. Never needed a pizza stone and not to toot my own horn, but I cannot imagine my homemade pizzas coming out any better on one.

2 Likes

Ok so you use an old baking sheet, please share the rest of your process for such well done crust. I’ve played around with home made pizza’s all the time and I’m never satisfied with my crust. (usually using a store bought dough)

1 Like

Okay, so here goes…

Store-bought dough, usually Shop Rite. About two hours before, I take the ball out, rub with some olive oil, put it in a bowl and cover with a towel allowing it to warm and rise slightly. I then roll the crust out, of course, put it on an old baking sheet, and add the toppings on. After that, it goes in the oven at 450 for 15-20 minutes. It cooks quicker some nights. That’s really it.

2 Likes

Gracias!! or Grazie as the case might be…

1 Like

you can really go down a rabbit hole when you get into dough. Greg adding oil is helping his brown more than yours, I would bet.

Really not that hard or time consuming to make your own if you have the ingredients on hand though. This one is simple and tasty

I hope it works for you. If not, then perhaps my beat up old pans have been enchanted with some kind of pizza crust spell. :smiley:

I’ve never rubbed the ball with oil, I would just use a generously oiled pan, thinking what would create a nice golden crust. Next time I’m doing as you shared.

2 Likes

Please let me know how it goes and share pics. The olive oil also adds some flavor, and sometimes I will sprinkle the crust area with pecorino romano after the pizza has been assembled.