What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

#TheMooseIsLIT

4 Likes

After a meaningless victory at the Meadowlands earlier today the boys at Teak will feast on a tray of baked ziti.

(gratuitous pic of the tailgate party)
“Get season tickets to the Giants they said, it will foster father and son bonding they said”…{{sigh}}

7 Likes

Looking like a nice dish! Your son looks like he is either tired from some brews and/or the Giants lackluster season :smile:

1 Like

:joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Had some smoked pulled chicken, Corn with old bay and double fried french fries.

1 Like

The start of a stuffed cabbage pot. In a few hours I will be eating good!

Garlic cooking in bacon fat

Ham and meat/bacon mix. Ham goes in the pot, not the cabbage rolls.

20181204_171931

10 Likes

I know stuffed cabbage doesn’t photograph well, but in about 2.5 hours I’ll try to remember to get some pics. I took some “before” pics as they were carefully arranged in the pot, covered with ham, and neatly layered and seasoned. It looks like a diaster when you put it in the pot. Hopefully I can get some good photos on the transformation the pot undergoes as all the ingredients meld together. It truly is a thing of beauty once done and quite a royal PITA to make lol.

2 Likes

@corvette_johnny, Why do you think stuffed cabbage doesn’t photograph well?

At Home:  March Nor'easter Dinner

At Home:  March Nor'easter Dinner

Way back when I first started my blog (2009), I did a post about this stuffed cabbage. It’s my grandmother’s recipe passed down to me by my aunt.

Here’s the link to that post.

My Blog
My Flickr

3 Likes

Nice pics! I think they fall into the category of just “not appealing to the masses.” I personally love the pics and seem to take pics of every batch. I just don’t think the general public is into pics of them that much…not enough knowledge about the food, not colored and vibrant, not fancy. Those are my theories. I still love looking at the photos. There isn’t much better than a good stuffed cabbage!

2 Likes

I completely agree!

3 Likes

My family recipe has “evovled” (if you will) over a lot of generations. My grandmother is Czechoslovakian. Back in the 1850s or so her great grandmother used to make stuffed cabbages. It was a food for poor people. They would get what beef was cheap at the butcher she tells me. They would grind it and that was the base of the recipe. Today my family recipe now has ham and bacon. She told me they didnt have ham, as that was more of a luxury. Today I usually use a pork shank and the meat mix is beef with some bacon. Hell, I just literally spent ten bucks on 2 heads of cabbage yesterday :confused:

What is your base recipe? I know this dish can go a lot of different ways.

2 Likes

I thought so too but apparently there is one in Middletown
88 Dunning Rd, Middletown, NY 10940

Greg and I both live in monmouth county nj not far from each other. I think Middletown NY is a bit of a hike lol. Did you mean ny or nj location? Thanks for the response nonetheless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that recipe Roz. I learned to make them from a Polish lady so I have usually used rice but I like the matza addition. Also - we usually chop the remains of the head of cabbage & cook it in butter & onions & then mix it with bowtie noodles. She called that Haluski.

Ruh Roh … sorry
Didn’t even think to consider there was a Middletown NJ

Dunno if it appeals to the masses but it certainly appeals to me.

1 Like

Yeah I live in Middletown nj and Greg lives in the next town over. This seems like a cool store. There are two new Lidl places that just opened up locally. I want to try those too.

1 Like

I’m heating the pot up now. I think I tanked 4 last night and about a cup of amazing broth. I will snap some pics but again, they aren’t nearly as impressive as Roz’s and Eli’s pics. I will guarantee you they taste amazing and this time I didn’t even have a ham bone!

2 Likes

@JoeBabbitt, You’re welcome!

@corvette_johnny, Check the post I linked to for the recipe.

It’s become a tradition for me to make them for our Purim dinner with our daughter and son-in-law. In 2019, that will be March 20.

Mrs. P made a crispy Moulard Magret duck breast for the first time tonight. It contained a sauce of garlic, hoisin sauce, grated ginger, soy sauce, Chinese 5 spice, and olive oil :yum: She made an excellent side dish of spaghetti squash with whipped ricotta cheese and toasted pecans. Everything went great with a 2012 Valdez red zinfandel.

5 Likes