What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

I was up in Edison today and stopped at H-mart. Bought some marinated ribeye, vermicelli noodles, straw mushrooms, and bok choy. Had myself a nice, little stir fry. Some dumplings and pickled radish too. Delicious. No pictures of this one. Was hungry and got ahead of myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mrs. P made sausage, peppers, & onions, with Italian hot sausages from Sam’s Butcher Shop :yum:

4 Likes

Eli, I’m a big sausage snob. Is this a local butcher? I don’t care for any supermarket sausage. Another wonderful pic from Mrs P :slight_smile:

Thanks cj. No, the sausage is from Sam’s butcher shop He runs a small batch artisan smokehouse in Moscow, PA., and delivers overnight Fedex. I think I mentioned him in an earlier post. I highly recommend him. His andouille sausage is awesome, as well as his melt in your mouth country ribs.

Oh yes, I do remember that! In fact, I want to do an order soon as football season approaches. I did not put the name to the “face”

I recall his smoked meats sounded great. I will definitely get a box once this weather cools down a bit.

You won’t be disappointed :slightly_smiling_face: Tell him Eli sent you :wink:

I def will. I think a box will make a good Xmas (or chanukah) present :slight_smile: what says happy holidays like a box of artisan smoked meat!

3 Likes

Since my lunch was terrible today, I decided to make a LOT of food. To start with I made Tom Ka Gai:

Then, to go with Coconut Rice later, I tried my hand at Chicken Rendang:

The chicken is awesome, but I think it may be even better next time with beef.

5 Likes

Looking good Dave! Do you use fresh lemongrass? I can never find any near me. I use the paste. It comes out great but I’d like to source some fresh.

1 Like

The Route 9 Farmers Market usually has it. Also the Asian Market on 79, Hong Kong Supermarket and 99 Ranch.

I go to the Asian Market on 79 a lot as it is 5 mins from my house. I’ve never had a problem finding any of the things I need. But, for the record, for the soup I used paste. If I can just train the cats to use the mortar and pestle …

1 Like

Thanks for the entire tip Dave. What type of mushrooms do you prefer?

And thanks too Joe

The mushrooms at Asian Market are the best! The ones in the soup are local shiitake and those and the oyster shrooms are really cheap there. They also have a few more exotic varieties, but why spend the $$?

On a related note I have been shopping for the best buy on a pound of dried morels. So far about $150 is the best price I’ve seen. Also looking forward to some fresh ones soon at Delicious Orchards.

https://saffron.com/store-shop/mushrooms/

I have bought a few items from this CA seller.

I received a Puerto Rican cooking lesson the other day from Justin’s mom. Pictured below are tostones, pernil (that skin was so crispy and amazing), and rice with gandules. I was even given my own tostone press as a parting gift.

j1

j2

j3

4 Likes

Is a tostone press like a tortilla press? On the few occasions I’ve made tostones, I smash them with whatever is handy.

That pork looks delicious.

1 Like

Without digging mine out of the pantry…

Very interesting. Not much like a tortilla press. I like how the press controls the size. I may have to go shopping.

1 Like

Come to think of it, tostones have to be one of the unhealthier snacks/sides out there. Take a plantain and fry it (and it takes a while to brown), let it rest, smash it, and fry it again even longer.

But oh sooooo good. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. YUM.

3 Likes

Dried morels are $40.72 per half pound at Restaurant Depot.

1 Like