What Your Home State Says About You - Spot On!

No oats in California --Mark was getting his Master’s in mathematics at Stanford.

1 Like

Padiddle was definitely a thing in Illinois in the early 1960s.

I live in Texas now but never adopted the “coke” term but instead also went the soda route. When I first moved to Texas I had a Coke Machine eat my money. I went to the person who handled that machine and told her the “pop machine stole my money”. She thought that was the funniest thing she’d ever heard. “Pop machine! He said ‘pop machine’”.

4 Likes

And in Minnesota, you play all sports in tennis shoes. Running tennis shoes, basketball tennis shoes, etc.

When I first arrived in SF I went to some stand and asked what type of pop they had…to which he replied, “What?”

We stared at each other blinking for a few seconds then he asked, “Do you want a soda, kid?”

To which I replied, “What?!” :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My roomie in grad school was from Pittsburgh. She wore “tennies,” I wore sneakers . PA: Philly in the east, Pittsburgh in the midwest, Alabama in between.

2 Likes

I don’t think my Mpls college roommate ever used “tennies.” Pop for soda and sack for bag, most definitely. Also, when someone hands you something, they say “here you be,” instead of “here you go,” which I thought was hilarious for some reason.

2 Likes

Husband from Jamaica calls them crepes. Pronounced kreps. Burlap bag is “crocus sack” aka luggage. Don’t you dare repeat that!

2 Likes

“Tony Deyal was last seen saying that terms like a ‘pig tail bucket’ give him food for thought.“
:slight_smile:

My son graduated from Stanford. He worked for Intel and then they came back to run wife’s family’s peach ranch.
:wink:

And we love being waited on.

4 Likes

:joy_cat::joy_cat:

This is for you Harters.

I live in Houston and a VERY nasty hurricane was nearing landfall. I’m talking to the general manager of a giant electronics store and a woman with a British accent asks where the torches were.

I said sure right over her. When I got back he couldn’t believe I knew a torch was a flashlight.

5 Likes

With regards to pop, soda and COKE - one of the things that endears me to the South, is I almost never hear three little words I hate, when ordering out: Is Pepsi OK? Me: why no, no it’s not! (Not that I have anything against NC, Pepsi’s birthplace) Don’t drink much Coke, but when eating certain types of food, it tastes great. These would be healthy things like cheeseburgers, fried chicken and taco truck fare, mainly. BBQ too. :heart:

Other food related things in the South to delight and amuse are the pronunciations of oil (awl), foil (fawl) and pimento (pimenna) love it!

I’ve lived in 10 states, with extended visits in a few others, and found the article essentially nailed those I’m most familiar with.

Enjoy hearing about other states and experiences too.

2 Likes

I rarely drink COKES any more but a Pepsi seems great right now, that or a Dr. Pepper or anything with tons of sugar.

1 Like

If I didn’t need to worry about calories or sugar with my otherwise healthy orders (fried chicken, cheeseburgers and tacos!) I’d go for Mexican Coke, which to me is the gold standard. As it is, I drink the rare Diet Coke, which does the job, especially from the fountain. Lots of nice carbonation.

2 Likes

I fully agree on Mexican coke. Down here we also have Mexican Sprite and grape plus orange. That Sprite sure is good.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a different mouthfeel when cane sugar is involved, isn’t there? Perhaps some subtle flavor differences too. I’ll have to remember to try Mexican Sprite sometime.

1 Like

NorCal born and bred: can’t imagine asking for a cold drink by a generic term like pop or soda. It will be by brand: Coke, Diet Coke) or by type (root beer). But then I’ve never been a soft drink drinker. More likely ask what they have on draft.

3 Likes

My aforementioned cousins in Texas and Oklahoma all had little added to their names, being the junior women.
Little Helen, little Libby, and so on. Still call them that even though they’re fossils just like me. :slight_smile:

1 Like