What Your Home State Says About You - Spot On!

I don’t drink “soda” much at all. We did not drink it growing up, but I might drink this one from time to time.

2 Likes

I think when using the pop/soda terms, it’s for grocery lists, or offering to guests, such as we have wine, beer, and sodas, etc., or asking what kind of soda they have at a restaurant. To just order a soda, would be like ordering a cup of coffee at Starbucks - it would not compute!

2 Likes

The “soda” of my dreams was some 60 years ago. Crossing Texas in a '34 Hudson. No AC, of course. Hotter than Hades. Dad pulled into a Texaco station where I dashed to the soda dispenser, a wheeled rectangular tub of sodas surrounded by chunks of ice. My first Dr. Pepper. And it was partially frozen! Kind of like a melting popcycle in a bottle. AMBROSIA! Never had another DP or actually any other brand so delicious. Ah, youth!

4 Likes

Grapefruit as a flavor works! Squirt was our local equivalent.

I love those descriptors before names! Also, the first and middle names used together @bbqboy.

1 Like

I’m Cdn and I’ve heard of Puppy Chow, which is called White Trash in some places (the cereal and other ingredients are shaken in a trash/plastic bag to coat it with melted white chocolate, hence the name), and a commercial version up here was called Clodhoppers. Addictive stuff.

But I Google recipes when I procrastinate, and love campy recipes involving things like cereal.

2 Likes

I know about puppy chow from reading food magazines or community cookbooks. I find regional specialties fascinating. I’ve even made something akin to puppy chow, but it didn’t look very appetizing, and was just kind of meh. Maybe I didn’t have a good recipe. Now I’ve made some excellent buckeyes though!

Great post @pilgrim! I remember those glass soda bottles on ice in the little country stores. They did taste like heaven.
I see things on ice in the convenience store, but somehow it just doesn’t have the same cachet to it.

1 Like

I love Ting. Here’s me affecting a Caribbean accent: May I offer you some Ting?

1 Like

That was spot on!

We were on a cruise a few years back which stopped in the Bahamas. There were several large billboards around the town with public health information. Like “Look after your ting. Wear a condom”.

All of my trips to the US have been to eastern states. There may be a better description for The North and The South but we reckon we know when we’ve reached the south when servers stop calling us “You folks” and it becomes “Y’all”.

5 Likes

In high school my 11th grade English teacher taught us that “y’all” is properly second person plural.

2 Likes

Assimilated NYer I am. All the stuff about NY must be about people who live upstate as I have no idea about any of the 3. For the residents of NYC, upstate starts when the city ends. Anyone else who disagrees lives upstate. LOL

As to the food stuff, again clearly people who live up in the frozen north.

As a southern boy who married into a New England family, I will say that there are more misses that hits for the states I know well.

And where I’m from, when we see a bunch of people, I’m more likely to say how are all y’all doing? I still use y’all in NYC. My wife says that when I’ve had a few too many, I turn a certain 4 letter epithet that northerners pronounce as one syllable into at least three. You can take the boy out of the south but you can’t take the south out of the boy.

5 Likes

Racy! That connotation hadn’t occurred to me, despite the fact that my mind’s usually in the gutter.

Harters, if I recall you are from around Manchester so surely you must know the most prominent Ting export from there, the Ting Tings! :joy:

I confess to never having heard of them till your post.

image image image

RR ads for land

4 Likes

I could not get to the New York page, but didn’t really worry about missing out.

First and middle names used together, that’s my Oklahoma cousins.

3 Likes

We had a neighbor down the road named Joe Bob. He stopped by one day and was outside talking to my husband. Our then five year old came running in the house yelling Bo Job is here! Bo Job is here!

5 Likes