What Your Home State Says About You - Spot On!

This is fun, and as far as I can tell, they nailed it! There’s at least one favorite or familiar food by state. Enjoyhttps://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/g36005125/signs-you-grew-up-american/

1 Like

Have been advised the linked article didn’t work; will remedy shortly. Sorry!

Here is the link to above:

Spot On Food And Culture By State

2 Likes

There is not a single word about food in Florida, but it’s all true!

1 Like

I grew up in Iowa and have no idea what is puppy chow and never heard the term Padiddle. Those must have come from Cyclone fans along with the word “pop”.

Lived much of my adult life in SF and the Bay Area and yep…Frisco is only uttered by visitors. Baghdad by the Bay is acceptable however.

I’ve been in the Twin Cities for ten years now and never heard “you betcha” nor have gone to the State Fair. I’ve heard the term “spendy” a bit though. While the Twin Cities winters are bitterly cold and way too long, the summers are short but spectacular. (In fact this summer falls on a Saturday so it will be extra fun!)

3 Likes

New Jersey

•You go “down the shore,” not “to the beach”.
– I grew up in northern NJ, and we went “to the Shore” - not “down the shore”. I’m now in Massachusetts, and they definitely say “down the Cape” here.

•You’ve never really learned how to pump your own gas.
–Yes, I learned how to pump my own gas. If I didn’t, I’d never go anywhere, as NJ is the only state on the East Coast that won’t allow you to pump your own gas, thanks to a 70 year old “safety” law which was, in actuality, all about money.

•Breakfast isn’t complete without pork roll or Taylor ham.
–I didn’t grow up having breakfast being “complete” with pork roll (as it’s called in south Jersey) or Taylor ham (north Jersey).

Sooooo…they’re kind of wrong on all three. At least for me.

6 Likes

Not impressed with my principle homes of New York, Virginia, or Maryland.

2 Likes

They are 0/3 on Maine (5 years) and New Jersey (43 years). I am a better match for South Dakota or Wyoming (2/3 each). (I have visited all 50 states, but lived in only 7.)

3 Likes

I have spent most of my life in PA (Philly and its environs). I have never heard of chipped chopped ham. And no self-respecting resident of Eagles country would have a terrible towel.

Apparently the author considers PA as Pittsburgh and its environs the only part of the state that matters?

3 Likes

Central New Jersey, and same here. We went to the beach. I learned how to pump my own gas as soon as I could drive to a state where I could, which was age 17. In my family, and among my friends, no one ate pork roll at all. Even after I started hanging out with people who did eat it, it was never at home, only in a diner. By that time, I’d stopped eating meat, so I’ve never had it even once.

3 Likes

I grew up in California but have lived more years in Oregon than anywhere else. Both are 3/3.

2 Likes

Why is Oklahoma getting credit for chicken fried steak instead of Texas. What’s up with That?

3 Likes

Insofar as Iowa…my condolences. :pensive:

:wink:

3 Likes

I believe Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas can all claim ownership and be correct. Cattle, flour, and grease abound in all 3.
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I live in Ontario, 45 minutes from Port Huron, MI. Relate to the 3 MI things.

I’m a 2.5 h drive from Buffalo, and lived in NYC many years ago. Have not been to the Statue of Liberty.
I haven’t tried much regional NY state food from outside NYC, other than wings, beef on Weck and stuffed banana peppers (sort of a Buffalo thing I’ve tried in Ellicotville and made at home once)

Ohio is straight across Lake Erie, and has the same landscape and climare as southwestern Ontario, so where I live also has tons of corn and cows. Toledo OH is around 3 h by car, and I have some cousins in Canton, so all the OH stuff I’m familiar with. They have had Buckeyes at their cookie table at the 3 weddings I’ve gone to in Canton in the past 5 years.

2 Likes

Ha, too funny, DD1 (eldest daughter) currently in Des Moines as we speak, due to training for a new job. She will be working in Seattle however - yay! I advised her to behave conservatively :upside_down_face: but dang, wish she could bring me one of those pork tenderloin sandwiches…

2 Likes

@Miss_belle - I always thought Texas and Oklahoma were interchangeable - not so?? JUST KIDDING & I’ve lived in both.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Um. I know what CFS is.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.
I have cousins spread across the 3 states. I know my plains states foods. The good stuff was usually real steak battered, not ground beef :cut_of_meat:
Just like Texas thinking it invented bbq.
Via my friend Gib in KC:

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know you know what CFS is, but my point was that it supposedly originated in Texas. Also, CFS should be tenderized round steak, breaded not battered. Still online friends I hope?:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes