What Your Home State Says About You - Spot On!

Of course. I’m half Texan, after all.
And half Jayhawker.
My uncle Bill, my namesake, started a fence company in Texas and then expanded to Oklahoma and Kansas, churning out metal buildings which is how my dad ended up in KCK managing one of his plants.
A sordid and complicated ancestry.
But there is actually a Voss,Texas (my real name)which I hope to visit someday.
:cowboy_hat_face:
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

What were the 7? Inquiring minds etc.

I still can’t believe that you can’t pump your own gas in the state of New Jersey… That just floors me.

2 Likes

Well, @Miss_belle, this may shock you further - you can’t pump your own gas in the country of Oregon, either!

3 Likes

Surf , sand , snow , beaches , great weather , grows great vegetables , also great grazing for the animal’s , you can grow a garden most of the year . I think they call it the golden state.

2 Likes

Of course have to “reword” to WHAT YOUR HOME COUNTRY SAYS ABOUT YOU, SPOT ON …

Spain and in particular The autonomous Region of Barcelona is chockful of The Mediterranean on the east and The Mountains on the west and farmlands, wine estates and phenomenal goat cheese dairies just outside of the city limits of Barcelona, and thus, we are extraordinarily pleased.

Barcelona is also home of the Sagrada Familia, the famous and enchanting architecture, Fideuà (vermicelli “paella” for lack of a better description) and romesco, a red pepper salsa which is served with our daily catch.

Interesting post as we know very surface information about the majority of the 50 states.

Thanks to the contributors.

2 Likes

And Gaudi Park, which I liked almost as much. It amazes me that he got funding for the cathedral, because it’s so out there. Then and now. I can’t imagine a project like that getting built anywhere else.

1 Like

The story of America is really the story of various groups
from many different cultures settling in the new world in places that reminded them of home and their way of life.
Railroads gained huge tracts of land in return for building the lines and then advertised those lands to folks in Europe, urging them to move to the US.
So, in Kansas and the other plains states, for instance, Volga Russians came, each allowed a barrel of hard red winter wheat, and presto- the breadbasket of America and a story for every grade school class growing up.
Similar tales for every state. We’re all pioneers in a way,still.

3 Likes

OK, I just love this little guy. LOL

2 Likes

EXCEPT at night, as I understand it, as they didn’t want drivers stranded in a remote location (under 40,000 people) without being able to pump their own gas.

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know about that caveat.

New York (age 0-3), Maine (age 3-8), Illinois (age 8-13), Massachusetts (age 13-21), California (age 21-23), Michigan (age 23-28), New Jersey (age 28-71 and counting).

3 Likes

Almost every state has something interesting (though finding something in North Dakota was not easy!). Iowa has the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site, the Bily Clock Museum and Antonin Dvorak Exhibit, and the demographically interesting town of Postville.

1 Like

Were you sowing your oats in California?
I know lots of folks who left after college and then ended up returning to familiar and comfortable surroundings.

1 Like

Iowa is clearly a “pop” state, so I have to question your Iowa bonifides. :slightly_smiling_face: However, I agree on the puppy chow. I’ve never heard of it.

Padiddle was something my mother might have known, but she was a child of the 20’s. As I recall, it was accompanied by kissing your partner. Wiki says it’s Canadian and American slang.

2 Likes

http://popvssoda.com/

2 Likes

Lol….I was born and raised in Iowa but got a VISA to California and overstayed it. :laughing: And yep, Iowa is pop but I switched to soda and never went back. I glance out the corner of my eye at anyone saying pop and think “Cyclone” because…well I’m a Hawkeye. :blush:

2 Likes

In Texas it’s coke as in what kind of coke do you want? I’ll have a Dr. Pepper.

1 Like

I read the entries for the 19 states I’ve visited over the years. Interesting.

1 Like

I grew up in Philly, then at 21 left for grad school in rural Ohio. First day in town I went to buy some Coke (Coca-Cola . . . not the other kind :wink: The clerk asked if I wanted my pop in a sack. Why would I want to throw dad in a big burlap bag? Then it dawned on me that he was asking if I wanted my soda in a bag :confused:

And don’t even get me started on what they consider American cheese.

3 Likes