What would you make with this BTB?

Picked this up quite a while ago, as I’d never seen this particular version/flavor from BTB. I think I originally wanted to use it as a base for hot pot, but never did. It’s been in my basement for too long (best before APR 23), and I’m looking for inspiration… is chili really the only dish to make with this? The label also mentions “taco meat filling.” Meh.

Ingredients: CHILI PEPPERS, SALT, DRIED ONION, YEAST EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, SPICES, PAPRIKA, BEEF EXTRACT, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Thoughts? Ideas?

1 Like

I would use it in a stir-fry.

Doesn’t it sound more like a (literal) chili (as in the beans and/or meat dish) base? When I first purchased it I had a similar idea, thinking it was basically just a hot (as in spicy :wink: ) broth base.

I suppose the best way to find out is to actually open the darn thing and do a taste test. Flavor profile would likely indicate best usage.

But that would be too easy.

2 Likes

Beef Stew – chunks of beef, plenty of veggies (including potatoes), beef broth and a good helping of your “Better than Bouillon”

Chili base sounds so YUMMY in a beef stew!!

3 Likes

I might try something like that. It would also be good as a bean braising broth, maybe?

I usually use … BTB beef for beef stew, but why not mix it up some?

1 Like

Since the ingredient list just says “spices” on it without a breakdown of them, I’m wondering if cumin is one of those…especially because cumin is such an important addition to many chili recipes. If it isn’t one of them or if it isn’t too strong already, you could add some and make a riff on curry, I’d think.

Exactly… I really enjoy dishes with a little spice or kick to them.

Yes, I always keep dried pinto beans in stock. After soaking overnight, they can go into (basically) anything. You could also puree them and thicken a stew or soup with beans.

1 Like

Birria

1 Like

I was all agog on Better Than Bullion products -
sigh.
they have 20-30 times the salt I can tolerate - not a medical thing - just a taste issue.
a couple flavors have shown up with “reduced sodium” - but altho BTB does a marvelous taste job, it utterly fails in the “so much salt you gag” column…

Ima salty gal and don’t mind it :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Has anybody tried the Knorr version of this? I got some on the advice of a cousin, and I really like it. It comes in small tubs, much smaller than BTB. Like linguafood, I’m salty as well, so I can’t comment on whether it’s too much salt or not