What would you do with "Lamb shoulder blade roast!"

I might have treated it like a pork shoulder and done a low and slow, say 225 degrees for 4 or 5 hours, uncovered the last hour.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I may have hit the wrong button just now. Hope I didn’t flag something by mistake.

1 Like

I got another one, and I’m smoking it this time.

0 Likes

(John Hartley) #24

I posted upthread, at the end of January, that we’d picked up a bargain full shoulder. It’s now defrosting for tomorrow night. The plan is definitely to cook it low and slow so that, effectively, we end up with pulled lamb. Simple accompaniments - peas and roasted butternut squash - and gravy, of course.

1 Like

Smoked Lamb Shoulder

How to Smoke Lamb Shoulder

Sort of using the The Zahav Lamb Shoulder idea.

0 Likes

All smoked! Now the braise, then the roast…?

This part isn’t in the recipe.

“We brine a whole lamb shoulder and smoke it over hardwood for a couple of hours. Then we braise it in pomegranate molasses until the meat is tender enough to eat with a spoon. Finally, the lamb shoulder is finished in a hot oven to crisp up the exterior”

1 Like

This IS in the recipe

"Preheat the oven to 475°F. Place a rack on a baking sheet. Drain the lamb and pat dry. Put the lamb on the rack and roast until well browned on the exterior, about 30 minutes. (Or sear the lamb over a medium-hot grill for 15 minutes until well browned on all sides and nicely charred in places.) Lower the oven to 300°F.

Transfer the lamb shoulder to a large roasting pan. Mix the pomegranate molasses with 8 cups water in a bowl and add to the pan. (The liquid should come about halfway up the shoulder; add water if needed.) Drain the chickpeas and add them to the liquid. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the lamb and cover the pan tightly with foil.

Braise in the oven until the lamb shreds easily with a fork and the chickpeas are tender, about 5 hours. Let the lamb cool in its braising liquid in the refrigerator overnight."

So does the smoking for two hours replace the “roasting until well browned” for 30 minutes? I’m following a 3 or 4 hour smoke with the braise, but am guessing the “braise until lamb shreds easily” will take less than five hours.

Uh oh…the chickpeas may take the whole five.

1 Like

After braise.

I will “let the lamb cool in its braising liquid in the refrigerator overnight”.

Tommorow, "the lamb shoulder is finished in a hot oven to crisp up the exterior”

3 Likes

(John Hartley) #29

In the event, we hadnt cooked it long enough to “pull” but it was still very tender. Lots of leftovers - frozen one batch of very well trimmed meat for shawarma and another, finely chopped and mixed with the leftover veg and gravy for shepherd’s pie. Three meals for twelve quid - bit of a bargain, IMO.

4 Likes

Thank you all!

“Pulled”, but not yet "finished in a hot oven to crisp up the exterior”.

1 Like

(ChristinaM) #31

Looks faaab!

2 Likes