What will the future of dining out be..............

That’s gone as well in the one supermarket that used to have one.

I saw a picture of a grocery salad bar that had repurposed with ice and liquor miniatures. Not here in the People’s Republic of Maryland. I digress. No salad bar in my grocery. The olive bar now has prepacked artisan olives and pickles that are pretty neat. Pricing by weight is the same but the little quantities that were appealing aren’t available anymore.

Restaurants are open here for dining outdoors and some very limited dining in. In the meantime new infection rates are headed back up.

3 Likes

That would once have been the aircraft beverage cart.

By the way, we recently had to fly commercial to make good on a long postponed obligation. No ice, no liquor. Only cans and single wine servings you pour for yourself…

1 Like

I’ve done a number of one-way car rentals. Not flying, not dining out.

Totally makes sense, during Covid. Having not been in a supermarket for going on 6 months now, It’s going to be a real “trip” to see all the changes in our vastly different world.

I DID go for a consult w/oral surgeon yesterday, double masked except for X-ray, and Doc looking in mouth. Feeling emboldened, phoned in an order for lunch to a decent little Japanese place in town. They’re still doing take out only, but it was quite disorienting to go in, see all the distancing, lines, plexiglass and all that. Still living dangerously, I then took lunches over to friends house, sat indoors, cuz cool and mizzly. Ate with gusto and enjoyed every single minute of companionship. Sooo tired when I got home from BIG outing. Also eliminated the need to go out and start my car, just to keep battery charged up. Bonus!

3 Likes

It does. But the disappearance in the UK was some years back and I cannot think of a reason why that should have been the case. Changing tastes, maybe. If there was profit in it, they would still be there. It cannot be a public health requirement as one of our bottom end chain restaurants makes a big thing of it’s “free” help yourself salad bar.

Maybe @Harters, simply a more profitable use of space for other things. Olive bars here were still going strong back in the olden days pre Covid.

1 Like
3 Likes

Oh, dear. I can’t say I’m a fan of merchandising mini liquor bottles in prominent grab-and-go bins. We have a liquor store in town that began doing that, then afterward I observed empties discarded along streets within walking distance of the store.

5 Likes

I worked in retail for over thirty years and anything of value that isn’t locked up is stolen.

I don’t see this going well.

5 Likes

Spain:

Here, one must reserve a terrace table as it is the peak season for outdoor lunching and dining.

Inside dining, is slowly recovering however, also reservations are a must … And shall probably be back to more normalcy in November when the temperatures go down and we get into autumn.

Then many terraces have “mushroom heat lamps” as people prefer to be outdoors regardless of the season.

We have only eaten outdoors on terraces at this point.

2 Likes

We have never known anyone who does or did, although we are reliably informed that there was a time when men and women carried flasks for a nip. Now it seems some pop into the liquor monger and select something from the bin near the checkout register. We confess we’ve done that, if only to try something we’re not ready to embrace as a 750 ml. commitment.

2 Likes

Frontline Plus has been under lock and key at WM the last few years. Instead of hunting down someone to unlock it I just order online now.

On the original topic (ha!), when watching TV and movies I’m finding myself increasing discomfited by a lot of people clustered in a restaurant. It may be years before I can enjoy myself in what was so normal a few months ago. Take-out four times since February. Cooking at home. Eating well.

4 Likes

I’m with you on all of that; the only takeout I’ve done has been when I’m meeting a friend for our almost weekly lunch in a nearby park.

2 Likes

Takeout blows. My favorite places seem to be substituting quantity over quality.

Fast food has gotten worse if that’s possible. While I didn’t go a lot I haven’t been in over a month.

1 Like

No more take out for me. I’ve done it a few times, tipped 25% but haven’t had anything to write home about. A group of 40-50 young people without masks congregated on Cape Cod and 10 became ill with Covid 19. A number of them were restaurant workers. Today, I walked by a much liked restaurant with outdoor seating. The server’s face mask was around her neck as she chatted with a table of diners. So disappointing. The chef owner is a terrific guy. I’m caught between telling him what I saw and costing a server a job.

3 Likes

Not counting things like a Costco pizza, we’ve gotten take-out five times: a molcajete for Cinco de Mayo and twice each from our two favorite Chinese restaurants. The food was great, but some leftovers reheated better than others (Three Pepper Chicken, no problem, but anything with bok choy ended up with very limp bok choy). I have no desire to get anything else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-08-07/the-restaurant-business-model-can-be-saved-through-design-says-david-rockwell?srnd=living

Hand washing stations: I’ll point out that halal restaurants have these already (at least all the ones I’ve been to).