What will the future of dining out be..............

And for anyone waiting to pick up their food.

True!! I don’t know why I assumed @CurlzNJ was talking about the kitchen staff. You are right of course, anyone who comes in contact with someone else ought to wear a mask.

1 Like

You’re right-in that case, I was talking about the staff at the restaurants.

More choices, though getting to them to try might present challenges:

1 Like

I had an idea for hugs in the new normal: stand back to back, extend arms backward, linking them snugly with the other persons’. I haven’t been near another human in exactly three months, so this is all theoretical and might not work for those of us who are circumferentially overendowed. To hug a child, an adult would have to kneel, or the kid stand on a chair. The need for physical human contact is irresistible, and will be an infection risk unless society finds some workarounds.

4 Likes

We’re going to continue to stay home and let the early adopters do the testing.

1 Like

Just love that expression. It’s cheered me up - not least as it fits me perfectly.

6 Likes

I can only take partial credit. If you aren’t familiar with Car Talk, which was for years National Public Radio’s most popular show, try to find it via podcast. It was informative but also very funny. The hosts were M.I.T.-educated Ray Magliozzi and his late brother, Tom. They owned a car repair garage in Cambridge, MA. One of their frequent callers was the children’s writer, Daniel Pinkwater, who regaled them with tales of his automotive travails as a short, “circumferentially-challenged” driver.

4 Likes

Both brothers graduated from MIT.

2 Likes

Fixed, thanks.

I believe it’s pronounced CAH TAHK. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

If anyone asks us, eating out isn’t going to work for us if the setting more resembles the carrel where you comply with your doctor’s blood work order than a setting where the hospitality invites a return (assuming a tasty enough experience).

2 Likes

Agreed. Though the etymology is related, there’s a big divide between a hospital atmosphere and restaurant hospitality!

To be clear, throughout the public health situation, when feasible we’ve continued to do carry-out trade with donut shops, pizza places, and other restaurants where we’d previously cared to linger. It just won’t make everyone whole . . .

2 Likes

Update: We went out again to patronize the small businesses that are bravely soldiering on for their families and employees. Honest hard work may be its own reward in better times, but in these times, it’s to be admired when you’re lucky not to be in their shoes.

3 Likes

We called that “watching the submarine races”

3 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-07/are-salad-bars-healthy-during-coronavirus-robots-may-help?srnd=premium

Interesting article, Bone.

For a while, salad bars were very common in British supermarkets but I havent seen one in maybe three years or more. I don’t know the reasons for closure but their rapid disappearance suggests it’s been a commercial decision that’s affected all of the chains.

1 Like

@Harters - think it’s because they needed the room for olive bars! More contemporary, probably easier to maintain, and I’m sure, much more profitable.

Our dining out has become a combo of curbside and home delivery thru restaurants, bakeries, produce and fishmongers, Amazon, WF, Peapod and independent food folks. Food shopping on our own once a week.

We now keep bottled water on hand for delivery people; very hard working folks these long hot daze.

Is this the future? Could be for some time.

3 Likes