What to do with leftover white rice?

I would not eat three day old rice.

Also, it’s important to cool rice quickly and keep it refrigerated.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cooked rice in the oven and forgotten it once the heat was turned off. Found it a day or two later, refrigerated, later reheated and eaten without trouble. Ditto baked potatoes, which are also supposedly hazardous. With both, I’d already done this well before reading that it was dangerous.

4 Likes

Then you should never eat Chinese fast food fried rice.

4 Likes

I don’t. In fact, I don’t eat any fast food.

They aren’t “supposedly hazardous”; they are hazardous. Botulism is deadly.

It’s fortunate that you haven’t suffered food bourne illness, but that doesn’t mean that others shouldn’t attempt to avoid it.

I fail to understand why people on food-centric message boards find it amusing to mock food safety protocols.

Some more ideas here:

3 Likes

I generally keep it in the back of the refrigerator for a week or two then toss it when it grows mold.

1 Like

Agree with fried rice.

Also, chicken soup, frittata, jambalaya, biryani, served under gumbo, rice fritters.

1 Like

I would not eat Green Eggs and Ham.

I don’t think it’s too hazardous.

I wonder if Big Pasta is behind all this day old rice is dangerous propoganda.

3 Likes

Dogs also like cooked rice.

1 Like

Another +1 for the fried rice option. And rice does freeze well. One Indian restaurant I frequent gives me a lifetime supply of rice every time I order from them so I freeze it for future dishes - usually fried rice.

Also in stuffed peppers. Mix some of the cooked rice with ground beef then stuff peppers with the mixture.

4 Likes

Have it for breakfast the next couple of days with a bit of butter added. Also, MH’s cabbage and rice soup is quite good.

3 Likes

Throw a fried egg on top while yer at it.

1 Like

I was going to mention this too but hesitated for some reason. 2 out of 2 dogs who have lived with us have been big fans of cooked rice. Both to the extent that it is a Day of Supreme Joy when we pick up Chinese takeout, because they knew/know we will share a bit of the plain rice.

My vet says that including grain is a dog’s diet is important for their heart health. So there’s that too.

3 Likes

I make egg rice with leftover takeout rice.

1 Like

Or a pork chop, plus some pork rinds and fish sauce!

Me already bbq’ing at 7 in the morning. It’s good when a place serves/cooks “Binh Dan” style (seen on the sign between the bbq and blowing fan. “Commoners’ food”, cheap and good/cheerful (gut und günstig/preiswert).

My 7 o’clock pavement breakfast because I had to catch a cramped van to the capital. I tend to go overboard with the fish sauce in Vietnam. Notice my coffee is not contaminated with condense milk. Should be black and strong.

6 Likes

Yes, my dogs love it.

A word of caution; it too great amounts it causes constipation.

1 Like

Why should we take your advice on food safety over that of trained scientists?

No, but perhaps it should be viewed with some proportion in mind. The US CDC estimates ~ 55 million people in the US suffer food poisoning of some sort or the other each year.

It’s estimated that some 60 thousand people each year get food poisoning from bacillus cereus, which is the bacteria responsible for rice food poisoning. They don’t break this down by food type, but rice is certainly one of them.

But let’s say all 60K who get sick from B. cereus are rice cases.

The other 54,940,000 are not. Put another way, for a person in the US, the chances of getting food poisoning from something other than B. cereus are close to 1000 to 1.

Does that mean play with the Devil? No.

1 Like