What to cook when the other one is gone and you have carte blanche to make a mess and stink up the place?

The Wifeacita’s 2-3 yearly trips to the Texas Rio Grande Valley to visit family coincide with the onset of cooler weather and we can fire up the oven, never used in the summer, and the stovetop, rarely used so it’s something to celebrate. Houston summers are brutal and it’s worse in the Valley so she visits when it’s cooler and I can make my favorites.

Springtime is crawfish time.

5 Likes

seafood seafood seafood. BF never EVER goes away. he did once, for 3 weeks, and i ate fish and shellfish every night. I eat it when I go out, of course, but in the house, it’s meat meat meat, all the way.

also, i’d eat my share of street-cart bacon-wrapped hot dogs. he likes them too, but not “as” dinner.

8 Likes

Boiled crabs, fried fish, sauerkraut , Brussel sprouts, mackerel? Open up the windows and air your house out. Please. You can always turn the heat back on.

5 Likes

All at once?
A stinkathon!

3 Likes

C
A
R
B
:slightly_smiling_face:
AND LESS CARB!

1 Like

For me it is cabbage soup and stuffed cabbage.
Sautéed onions and red peppers with a pork chop, sausage or on top of a baked potato. (onions are a no no)
A grilled hot dog on a bun with Cole slaw…no ketchup …(or mustard)
Maatjes herring on crackers…

3 Likes

Oh, yeah!

Heaven on a bun.

1 Like

Nothing too stinky but I can make a mess out of anything!
Baked potatoes. Crunchy skin, sour cream and butter. Chives if we have some.
Local BBQ, ribs and coleslaw or fried chicken.
Breakfast for dinner always a favorite

2 Likes

That’s one of those meals for which I really don’t have the cooking skills to do well. Whether it’s breakfast for dinner or breakfast for breakfast. It’s the timing that always beats me when there’s multi items to get ready for the same time. And breakfast is probably the absolute worst for that - bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms , tomato, fried bread, fried eggs - I just find it too much to try and cope with. I have the same timing issues with the full Sunday roast dinner.

3 Likes

I have eliminated some of the pans/timimg issues by cooking bacon (and sausage if DH is around) in the oven. Much better control on cooking time and tin foil on the pan makes for a very easy clean up.
My toast is often cold though, I throw it in too early.
No blood pudding on my menu but if there are any leftover potatoes around in the oven they go with some of the bacon fat.

2 Likes

Sometimes we’ll grill halibut or grouper for my wife and a small steak for me at dinner. We can find some fish for her and my beef that pair well with the same sides.

2 Likes

Without the carnivore? Either something very simple and quick to have a break :upside_down_face: or…

Beans + soup! Dishes like cassoulet, Harira style of soup with chickpea Or whatever soup! Sure I eat more vegetarian dishes on my own.

I have this chance every lunch, since I work at home as a freelancer. I made myself a big pot of soup that can last a few meals. The problem is storage space.

But I can’t complain, as even stuff he isn’t very hot, when I cook for both, he will eat, except chickpea and dry beans. (He eats fresh beans though.)

On my own, I will stop eating cooked fish, only raw.

2 Likes

Does mackerel stink the house? I thought it was sardine…

I remember a couple, she doesn’t like poultry. So when she has gone out, he cooked and ate happily, and she was back, she complained about the persistent smell .

1 Like

Ditto. I guess they like us.

3 Likes

it’s true, we’ve done that a couple of times.

:smile: :thinking: :heart:

1 Like

Lol, the opposite must be true for me; DH goes away more and more @TheCookie and @mariacarmen. But I like it!

We like the same foods and seem to dislike the same ones as well, such as liver and other offal. So we just cook what appeals at the times we’re apart. I frequently don’t cook at all when he’s gone and eat quite unhealthily if I feel like it - ice cream for dinner & etc. and keep the kitchen in pristine condition. Meals are more balanced when we’re both home fortunately.

3 Likes

I’d suggest something non-odorific for the day before her return, and crack the windows open!

Naw, he probably goes away out of necessity. Mine used to be gone a lot when the kids played travel hockey. They’re grown. He’s home. I do miss my me time, but he’s easy to live with, so.

2 Likes