What to cook when the other one is gone and you have carte blanche to make a mess and stink up the place?

The Wifeacita will be gone a few days so I’m free food wise. The first two are fried fish and boiled live blue crabs, not strictly discouraged when she’s here but certainly not encouraged no matter the greatness of my preparation.

I’m thinking doing a mess of crabs the day before she gets back and making a creole sauce that she can eat after seven hours on the road. I’ll be eating crab all the time of course.

A ribeye on the skillet is also possible.

What would you folks do given the opportunity?

5 Likes

Short ribs with sauerkraut.

2 Likes

I love both and was thinking a fat reuben sandwich with lots of sauerkraut.

2 Likes

Cabbage rolls in tomato puree.

1 Like

Brussels sprouts. Eggplant. Lima beans. Pizza without meat.

2 Likes

“Fatty meat!” ( which to husband means anything other than salmon, pork loin, and boneless, skinless chicken breast).

4 Likes

I already have carte blanche to cook anything, make a mess, stink up the place… and do all the dishes! If the other one were gone I would blissfully cook nothing.

12 Likes

Same! The partner says “if I’m not home you’ll just eat cheese and bread”. I love nothing more!

But sometimes, when alone, I do cook things the partner doesn’t eat, such as liver, matjes herring, snails etc. And sometimes we eat 2 different things at the same time. Just because one doesn’t like something the other can’t eat it in their presence.

7 Likes

It’s always game of some sort. My companion in life doesnt get on with it too well, so it’s rarely cooked at home.

I’ve got a week coming up at the beginning of December. I definitely see roast mallard in a Chinese-ish style. And locally shot venison - I make a casserole witb some to eat then and some to freeze.

By the by, we have a similar, if reversed, situation to Presunto’s. I cook when I’m alone. She has bread and cheese (or Marmite on toast)

5 Likes

Same at our place. I do all the cooking here and am usually the one at home. The first night solo I usually make myself popcorn, liberally doused with Vermont cheddar cheese powder. I dub this “popcorn shakerato” because it’s dusted with cheese from a shaker.

For subsequent nights I don’t cook, or cook, as I please. The only rule I have on those nights is that there are no rules. :wink:

8 Likes

Usually mackerel. The missus will eat it if we’re out but doesn’t like it stinking up the flat.
Also liver, she’s not a fan especially as I like mine a little bit pink.

2 Likes

C
R
A
B
:slight_smile:

AND MORE CRAB

6 Likes

Fun thread!

For me it would be pan fried grilled cheese, and twice dropped french fries (large serving).

6 Likes

Garlic, lots of it.

3 Likes

You’re not allowed to make grilled cheese and fries at home?

My DW has a low (no) tolerance level for “greasy” foods. My grilled cheese is a grease bomb. Would make her miserably ill.

A Fried Bologna sandwich on rustic rye bread is another favorite I could only make when left alone for a day–or more.

9 Likes

You are a saint.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

What my wife and I make when the other is gone is not very interesting. We each have our own tastes and dislikes. She makes even more fish than usual and more eggplant, zucchini, and squash. I use a bit more pasta and red meat than usual. Tastes.

I may have mentioned before that I recently made confit byaldi right from the movie Ratatouille for my wife on a special occasion. Lots of stuff I’m not particularly fond of but it was her day and is now a comfort food so I have to make it again. Given a mandolin surprisingly easy.

5 Likes

My week starts this Sunday!

2 Likes

Thursday here.

1 Like