What to cook when the other one is gone and you have carte blanche to make a mess and stink up the place?

Lol, the opposite must be true for me; DH goes away more and more @TheCookie and @mariacarmen. But I like it!

We like the same foods and seem to dislike the same ones as well, such as liver and other offal. So we just cook what appeals at the times we’re apart. I frequently don’t cook at all when he’s gone and eat quite unhealthily if I feel like it - ice cream for dinner & etc. and keep the kitchen in pristine condition. Meals are more balanced when we’re both home fortunately.

3 Likes

I’d suggest something non-odorific for the day before her return, and crack the windows open!

Naw, he probably goes away out of necessity. Mine used to be gone a lot when the kids played travel hockey. They’re grown. He’s home. I do miss my me time, but he’s easy to live with, so.

2 Likes

My wife dislikes shrimp so I often make it when she’s away. A Cuban sandwich might happen as well since she is a non pork eater

But often being alone finds me making more laborious meals or conversely nothing at all

3 Likes

My wife came home from a long trip this afternoon. Last night I made chicken stuffed with spinach, onions, mushrooms, and bechamel. I know she likes that so I have leftovers for her.

4 Likes

I forgot mushrooms.

And oysters!

East Coast vs West Coast Oysters: It All Comes Down to Merroir…but not political!

Oyster 101 Guide

Guide to Oysters

2 Likes

I hate to admit it because I grew up in New England and love everything about the seafood… except the oysters. In fact, I don’t remember oysters being a thing. I :heart: Pacific NW Oysters.

They are good aren’t they @TheCookie? Also, the Penn Cove mussels!

1 Like

I just ordered some mushrooms and oysters!

3 Likes

Carb load, which is discouraged when all are present. Pizza, bahn mi, desserts!

5 Likes

She took off last night so dish A is fresh Gulf red snapper cooked my Granny style which means skin on fried in corn meal with salt and pepper after soaking quickly in milk and egg. My only modifications are a slight bit of flour and Cajun seasonings in the milk/egg wash.

It’s going to be delicious as I’ve been frying fish for years and I must say I’ve got the process down.

6 Likes

Sounds fab and enjoy! H is getting antsy for me to leave again…

I can generally cook whatever I want without incident, although I have to listen to some bitching about bluefish and garlic, 'cause Medium Size H has a sense of smell that would make a shark jealous. Which means I have to confine my consumption of stinky cheese to my alone-time. Which I was reminded of today, when my cheese guy offered to sell me a half-wheel of Epoisses, and I had to decline. Sad face.

4 Likes

That sounds awesome! I hope it was a whole fish!

1 Like

How about the most complicated collard green recipe ever!

I got as far as pounding chopped chilles. I’m thing harrissa, or berbere or charmoula or zhung spice blend . It’s getting late.

4 Likes

I should have saved the whey.

4 Likes

Certain stinky cheese boards I’ve put together require cheese loving guests. My wife says, if she can smell the food from outside its too much. I disagree :blush:

4 Likes

Last of the “verboten”; not quite under the wire.

Chicken thighs!

Chicken Under a Brick in a Hurry

6 Likes

Collards?

Yes. Ethiopian spiced collards with buttermilk curds. Way too fiddly if I’m trying to cook anything else.

Collards with Spiced Cheese (Yegoman Kifto)

Not the recipe I used, BTW.