What seeds do you eat?

We have a thread about peels, but what about seeds?

What seeds do you eat? (Or what produce do you not deseed?)

Here are the seeds I eat.

• Pomegranate
  • Watermelon (but not honeydews or cantaloupes)
  • Apple
  • Grapes
  • Tomatoes (duh)
  • Tomatillos
  • Oranges
  • Bananas
  • Cucumbers
  • Kiwis
  • Dragon Fruit
  • Blackberries
  • Mulberries
  • Passionfruit
  • Starfruit
  • Pears
  • Goji berries
  • Figs
  • Gooseberries

You?

1 Like

Sesame? :rofl:

I eat pomegranate seeds now, but as kids we spat them out after sucking the surrounding fruit. (I still don’t like them.)

4 Likes

i eat grape seeds, but it is nearly impossible to find seeded grapes around my parts anymore.

Do you mean actually chew them for the flavor, or just not pick them out?

I’d love to find someone who doesn’t eat the seeds of the dragonfruit but eats dragonfruit flesh otherwise. Is s/he still working on that somewhere?

1 Like

Either, or perhaps even both.

1 Like

Not grapes, oranges, or pears. Everything else on your list. Maybe not goji berries - can’t remember the last time I had one of those.

1 Like
  • Pomegranate
  • Watermelon (but not honeydews or cantaloupes)
  • Tomatoes (duh)
  • Tomatillos
  • Oranges
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Bananas
  • Cucumbers
  • Kiwis
  • Dragon Fruit
  • Blackberries
  • Raspberries
  • Starfruit
  • Chia
  • Goji berries
  • Figs
  • Pineapple guavas (I have a tree)

lucky you

1 Like

I have to be very careful of seeds because of diverticulosis - have not had a fresh strawberry, raspberry, blackberry etc. for decades. I go to bed for days with extreme abdominal pain, sometimes fever. I’m afraid to eat quinoa because of it. I do enjoy a poppyseed muffin, that doesn’t set things off. Bigger seeds from raw veggies seem safe - tomatoes, cukes, tomatillos. I absolutely cannot trust a smoothie or any blender drink with ground strawberries.

1 Like

Well, they’re not likely sitting on a toilet, is all I can say. Those lovely seeds go through most folks like grass through a goose.

Most? I think I am inclined to remove them from orange (and lemons/limes), melons, some grapes. Winter squashes I remove them (and sometimes toast to eat separately). I also don’t like their texture in summer squashes that have reached the “gigantic, end of the summer” stage.

But, otherwise, I think I leave them in. Also, I like sesame seeds, poppy, mustard, cumin, quinoa, etc. Haven’t tried chia. Pomegranate is fine. I haven’t prepared goji berries for myself, but I may have had it in foods I’ve been served. I tend to leave the seeds in chile peppers, up to around habanero (where whether they stay in depends on how much heat I need).

1 Like

Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago that we stopped at a local strawberry stand (they’re ubiquitous around here during the season). Mrs. ricepad was perusing the boxes and flats of berries, trying to pick the best ones. There was another woman standing next to her doing the same thing. The other woman said to her, sotto voce, “They’re all kind of SEEDY, aren’t they?” Mrs. ricepad didn’t know how to respond, but ever since then, we always make sure to pick out the seediest strawberries we can find. :upside_down_face:

1 Like