Which vegetables and fruits do you peel, and why?

Depends on the cucumbers, you know the difference. Normally I don’t peel anything I don’t have to, tomatoes grown here have thick skins from the hot x3 summers, but I don’t peel them. Or eggplants, especially if they’re home grown and thin skinned. Carrots often, sometimes the skins are bitter.
I do scrub or peel sunchokes.

1 Like

Anybody who peels kumquats deserves the tart they end up with. Right before Covid my cousin from Illinois came to visit, and damned if she didn’t eat ALL of the kumquats on my little tree. She hasn’t been back since.

1 Like
  • Kiwi - I also scoop as I am not a fan of fuzziness in fruit or thinking
  • Celery - depends but I find that a light peel improves the texture when the stringiness is gone
  • Grapes - why would anyone do this?
  • Guava - yes as with many tropical fruits like mangos, papayas, passion fruit, bananas, pineapple
  • Apricots - huh? This is a thing?
  • Radish - for those little bitty ones like what the French eat sliced with butter on bread? No.
  • Ginger - always with a spoon or dull edge
  • Loquat - no clue what this is

No one mentioned soursop. Try eating one without peeling. Hah.

3 Likes

Someone I know, who is Lithuanian-Austrian Canadian, wasn’t familiar with tamales. She went to a Mexican restaurant with her new American husband in Cincinnati. She started eating her tamale. Very chewy and fibrous. The server came over and told her she wasn’t supposed to eat the corn husk. :rofl:

3 Likes
  • Kiwi - peel
  • Celery - peel, just roughly
  • Grapes - no peel
  • Guava - no peel (one of my favourite fruits!)
  • Apricots - no peel
  • Radish - no peel
  • Ginger - always peel
  • Loquat - peel

Thank you!

Interesting. I grew up with guava (but don’t like it) – I have never seen it peeled.

It’s a popular snack in season, hard unripe fruit is sliced up on street carts piled high, and sprinkled with salt & chilli powder. Then when it gets soft (and sweet rather than tart), its served plain. There are camps of unripe vs ripe (my dad never touched a guava the moment it starting ripening; my SIL only eats them ripe… worked well when they were both in the same place with a pile of guavas :joy:)

1 Like

I don’t like hachiyas (too squishy)

I have eaten fuyus with the peel but I much prefer them peeled. Reminds me of the texture contrast between mango skin & flesh.

1 Like

I don’t generally eat Hachiyas as is (though if you freeze them, the squishy flesh takes on a nicer, sorbet-like texture); rather, I use them as an ingredient, so they become integrated in whatever I’m making.

1 Like

I love fuyu persimmons and always peel. I asked my mom once why we don’t eat skin on and she said you can’t, but she was definitely one who was always just told to do things a certain way because of tradition or just because. She was not a boat-rocker. :laughing:

2 Likes

I have a pineapple guava tree,

but I assume that is not what we are talking about.

From Urban Plants

Urban-plants-guava-varieties_1000x

3 Likes

I like to start a new topic to discuss those who eat bananas with the skin on.

4 Likes

First, it depends on the dish. There are certain dishes we expect a texture which leaving the skin on vs off has a big effect. Case in point that many of the daikon dish
Second, it depends on my mood. I used to eat my apple with skin on. Now, I tend to peel the apple skin (still not always).

1 Like

I feel we should start with the … do you eat your pizza crust

6 Likes

Bananas with peel and the peel itself are both employed to great pleasure in indian cuisine.

3 Likes

We have that baby guava tree in socal. A full size one was more recently planted, just started fruiting.

(But people keep forgetting to pluck the fruit :roll_eyes:.)

1 Like

The flowers are beautiful and quite edible as well!

2 Likes

Washing help, and peeling will further reduce pesticides.

The combining and quantifying effects of food processing on pesticide residues in fruits were analysed by a meta-analysis approach. Data were collected from many publications and used to calculate response ratios, confidence intervals and intra-assay coefficients of variation. The response ratios for washing by tap water, boiling and sun drying were 0.59, 0.71 and 0.65, respectively, indicating that they could reduce the pesticide residues effectively. Peeling and juicing, where response ratios were 0.11 and 0.14, respectively, showed they could reduce the pesticide residues to a very small extent.

How effective are common household preparations on removing pesticide residues from fruit and vegetables? A review - PubMed (nih.gov)

1 Like

Japan has bananas with edible skin. I’ve seen them in the markets there, but they were insanely expensive.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/edible-peel-bananas-created-japan-food-spd

I did the same thing the first time I was served edamame in a sushi bar. I figured it out pretty quickly, and (fingers crossed) nobody saw.

1 Like