What’s on your mind?

Please clarify…are you claiming (1) my Indian friend did not say that or (2) that he is wrong?

I don’t doubt your Indian friend said it, and I don’t know where s/he lives, but that is not true as a gross generalization.

In large cities, motorcycles tend to be a traffic menace, not following traffic rules, weaving in and out of traffic and ignoring pedestrians too.

NYC instituted dedicated bike lanes in the past few years, and the mayhem they have created is reminiscent of Mumbai motorbikes - even if the light is red and you have the right of way (walking across the street), look both ways and then look again, because there’s likely a bike coming out of nowhere at full speed.

ETA: Sorry, I just noticed that was my second comment about the cricket team. But yes, again I don’t doubt your friend said it, and yet - no, cricket players houses are not actually being set on fire when they lose a match to Pakistan.

So my question is - was your friend exaggerating - as people are won’t to do where cricket emotions are concerned - and has that now been transferred here as fact?

1 Like
  1. My friend was born in and continues to live in Mumbai.

2. Gosh, he might have been embellishing a bit but his overall point was humorously made and not intended to disparage India - his homeland. Perhaps your experiences do not speak for everyone’s. Btw, my post was discussing car v. bicycles. Furthermore, I related the information in the same lighthearted manner it was related to me.

3. Kindly check the thread one more time to refresh your memory as to who said what about the India cricket team.

4. I do hope your day goes better for you, my friend.

1 Like

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have not been on internet much lately. Will love to chat over a cup a tea should we make it to your country. My husband is a big tea drinker. It will not be anytime soon, however. I hope you are able to easily restore the pages on your site you lost. Not being resort town type of people it will be interesting to see more of your recommendations.

2 Likes

Humor doesn’t always translate in black and white.

Apologies for being prickly, but I do worry about representation and generalization.

And yes, I think in trying not to mix up replies I actually did mix up replies. Sorry about that. Content holds, though.

1 Like

No apology necessary. :blush:

1 Like

I lost track of where “here” was.

O I’m really sorry it wasn’t a generalization at all. But it was a reaction of people. I didn’t mean to say that when they lost a match the houses of all 11 players were burnt down to the ground as a policy. lol.
I think the cricketer who received most bad reactions was Mohammad Azharuddin. Even in the recent times players like Saurav Ganguly and M.S. Dhoni, among many others, had to face harsh reactions from fans. (It’s a popular story that in 1974 Ajit Wadekar avoided landing in Bombay his home town and instead landed in Delhi because they lost the match. And that was after losing to England!)
Talking about that, I think I should’ve said 3 decades ago, suddenly I realize 2005 was almost 2 decades ago, feels just like yesterday, lol.
However I didn’t mean to disrespect Indian fans in any way. Not at all. They are passionate about the game, they live the game, which is why IPL is the most popular and most lucrative cricket tournament in the world today. They love their players and are extremely proud of their nation which is why passions run high when their political enemy Pakistan wins a match against them.
To answer your question about the source, it wasn’t the internet age. So all we got was from BBC as a foreign medium, and local news which was again extracted from Indian sources and BBC I think. Internet came in around 1995 I guess, and became a source of news by 2000 as I can remember.
But I’ll drop this here I don’t want to argue about something like that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then he will love the upcountry. Fresh tea of all types. But yeah the times are not ideal for travelling, and there are millions of other priorities during this pandemic. I’m actually designing another website these days but I must update the travel itinerary site again. Also these days I’m doing some crypto trading which keeps me really busy. :slight_smile: Hardly any time to do anything else.

I wonder if Azharudding received more bad reactions for his poor play or for the match fixing scandal. Great batsman though.

1 Like

He had to take the responsibility of losses as the captain I think. But during the last stage of his career it was the match fixing.
Match fixing is not a new thing these days :slight_smile: Even the best bowler might bowl a bad one in the middle of the over, on which single ball, surprisingly huge money has been bet in the bookies. lol

It’s fine - between you & me, I’ll happily discuss the idiocy of cricket fans and “passions” and “patriotism” where sport is concerned till the cows come home.

But I’m always wary of posting something (stupid) that happened ages ago as “this is how it is” because everyone else doesn’t have the cultural familiarity to understand the hyperbole.

And also, people’s houses have actually been set on fire - and worse - during politically instigated religious riots. So I never joke about those things either.

Let’s leave it at that and go back to lighter banter.

3 Likes

I have recently felt absolutely ashamed to be English (and British) noting the attitude of some of our football supporters towards some other nations.

It may be because some people cannot distinguish between player support and insult, most probably after a few beers. It’s common among everyone I guess. I mean common among a few people in every community.

1 Like

Any Computer Wizards Here ? (Not Cell Mobile Apps)

Which do you use for Cleaning Mal-ware ? It has been awhile and I want to clean up the desk top. Microsoft says there are no threats but I want to do a thorough cleansing …

Thanks in advance.

I believe in the old adage, if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

1 Like

for malware use Malwarebytes free version. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download
It’s enough for you I guess. Or if you need the paid version it will be around 40 usd I think. For one year.

1 Like

Like LMS, I use Malwarebytes free version

2 Likes

This is true. Windows Defender is quite sufficient for a home computer.
However if any fear of malware, my first recommendation is Malwarebytes. For a virus guard my recommendation is Kaspersky.

2 Likes

Another vote for Malwarebytes.

2 Likes