What’s on your mind?

Wish your sister a speedy recovery and exit from the hospital.

4 Likes

I don’t mind selfies, actually - it’s a beautiful memorial. It’s amazing they made something so lovely, while still having it so unequivocally evoke what is being memorialized.

I do however mind the souvenirs and gawkerish photobooks and people who don’t actually recognize that it’s a memorial and behave ridiculously (my idiot cousins included.)

Never seen anything like that at other memorials.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. she was discharged but still some tests are to be done. Hopefully all will be good. But I had a really bad experience with police on my way back. I’ll write about that later.

3 Likes

So it was at 3.45am my sister was finally admitted to a regular ward from the emergency ward. I left the hospital, and since I came in the ambulance I had no other way to go back. I called a friend living closeby and borrowed his bike.

That noon I came back to the hospital on the bike and went back home. The second day, that was the 9th, I was returning home after hospital visit a police officer stopped me and requested for the lockdown pass to travel.

I showed him the hospital pass and he said that’s not valid. He said he needs the doctor’s diagnosis ticket! I said it’s with the hospital, and they need it for treatments. Then he said that he needs a photocopy. I said I would call the police emergency and ask if that’s true. Then he asked for my driving licence which I produced.

Then he asked for the bike documents which again I produced. He was looking for something to put me in trouble. And did he find one at last! The insurance was over on the 8th.

I don’t want to waste your time talking about the rest. But in a nutshell, he was trying to get some bribe. That’s the police.

4 Likes

Disgraceful. I’m sorry.

1 Like

That sounds scary to me! It sounds like you remained calm. Well done. I’m glad he was not looking for an excuse to hurt you.

2 Likes

Yikes. I’ve run into that in Mexico. Luckily, I am excellent at not speaking Spanish very well, so I was able to play/actually be dumb.

3 Likes

The sight of someone grinning and throwing a peace sign (or worse, a thumbs up) in front of a mass grave enrages me. I certainly respect that others don’t have this response, and I might not either, in another 20 years.

3 Likes

You have to have bicycle insurance?
Wacky!

3 Likes

Yeah, but what a good idea. It might make our cyclists more responsible road users. That is, if we can get them off the pavement and on to actual road where they belong.

1 Like

Sorry I used the word for motorcycle. It’s the common word here. I understand it’s the push bicycle meant by bike in other parts of the world.

3 Likes

A buddy of mine from India told me bicycles can do no wrong there. He said if a car hits a bike for any reason whatsoever everyone piles out of their houses and businesses and starts hitting the driver with brooms.

1 Like

That made me laugh. I guess there are lots of "there’s " here.

1 Like

Happens in many countries. If a car hits a bike, the car gets destroyed, if a bike hits a pedestrian, the bike gets destroyed…
This was the scene in Sri Lanka too, until very recently. However it’s not heard of these days though.
Until about two decades ago, if the Indian cricket team loses a match against Pakistan, the players’ houses were burnt. I mean it was actually done. Or at least pelted with stones. So if a match against Pakistan is lost the police immediately surround the players’ houses to protect them.
However these behaviours are gradually disappearing, although not completely. But it doesn’t happen like before.

3 Likes

LOL!

As I recall a Brazil goalie was murdered after having accidentally scored in his own goal eliminating them from the World Cup. :frowning:

Be thankful that doesnt happen in Sri Lanka. With your lousy win/loss ratio there’d be a lot of homeless Test cricketers. :grinning:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I’m going to take a screenshot of this gem and post it on facebook. Not only test, all forms of cricket is really weak. Even the Afghans would beat Sri Lanka now. lol
Sri Lanka was arguably the toughest team after the 1996 World Cup but after that cricket became all business. Too much politics and money. I haven’t watched a cricket match since that team retired.

1 Like

Indeed so. There’s been serious speculation here that members of the Indian team backroom staff, “developed” Covid as a way of making sure the final Test didnt happen - so they could get back to India quicker so as not to miss the start of the lucrative Indian Premier League matches.

1 Like

Yeah, no - that is not true.

Huh? What is the source of this disinformation?