What’s on your mind?

Sure thing. I have enormous respect for mods ever since chowhound and I did know this about not being paid. I am practically a deputy mod on the lidl nerd board. Huge and growing group and very few mods. My favorite mod there used to live in scotland and has a young family. I am trying not to feel a little beat up here. Going to take a break.

But but I was the one being told to stfu in a nice polite way as I stated. Giving up for now

1 Like

I intended that as just a comment in general, not directed at you or anything I’ve seen you do.

Again, as I read his comment, it was not about you or what you wrote. Giving up for now, too. Gotta get that beef roast done!

I remember seeing this installation. The warm orange fabric, the February snow. It was surreal and beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks to my partner in crime there’s no need to buy shag balls.

9 Likes

RD, here’s the morel photo guy…

2 Likes

Hey, thanks much!

1 Like
5 Likes

We were here on the So. Oregon coast working on our newly purchased property. We still lived in Kennewick, WA. and knew nothing about the eruption until we stopped for a crab feed on our way home. We bought a newspaper to spread on the table and discovered the news. We were apprehensive as to what we would find when we got home, but luckily Kennewick only got a very light dusting of ash.

5 Likes

In Lava Hot Springs, Idaho the day of; a few days later, accompanied my dad on a flight he was piloting to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It was a short trip of a little business and a nice lunch. After taking on fuel at the small airport, we noticed the ash all over the plane, and the airport crew pulled some extra maintenance on the plane to mitigate the ash in the engine. Later, when touring Mt St Helens, just amazed at the scale and destruction.
Oh, and H has helicoptered to the crater, and hiked out twice. Special permits were required, but he said it was cool. Or hot, as it were.

5 Likes

I read concessionaires at LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark airports are now operating under price controls to combat gouging travelers. They are limited to the product’s “street price” plus 10%.

I guess charging $27 for a beer was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Time for the PGA to do the same.

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/press-room/press-release-archives/2022-press-releases/port-authority-announces-comprehensive-new-measures-to-bolster-compliance-with-street-pricing-policy-at-airport-concessions.html

2 Likes

The article said “In reviewing the records and assessing all charges associated with the vendor, the OIG determined that certain beer prices included an erroneously added surcharge on top of an inflated base price. Based on a detailed review of the concessionaire’s records, the OIG determined that a total of 25 customers were charged the totally indefensible amounts of $23 or $27 (depending on size) for a beer.”

Ummm, it wasn’t an erroneously applied surcharge. The vendor knew exactly what they were doing. They had a captive audience inside the airport.

Fenway Park in Boston does the same damn thing. $8.50 for a small (12 oz) beer - the most in the MLB per ounce ($.71 / oz).

4 Likes

I forgot about baseball and football. I used to go to a few Niner games back in their hay day and the cost was extortionate. The concessionaires could at least wear masks while robbing us back then.

1 Like

For us Sri Lankans nothing much in mind now. No fuel, no medicine, no food, no power, and commodity prices tripled, literally. It’s a fight for survival now. lol. Just a few months ago we never thought this would happen. Not even in a dream.

6 Likes

Oh no!! I hope things rectify soon for all. Prices way high in US too, scarcity of some things.

2 Likes

Here the story is different actually. The country has no foreign currency. All reserves dried up. Therefore no money to get fuel. No money to buy medicine. People are waiting overnight in kilometers long lines to get a tank of fuel. Usually they stay around 10 hours in line, and if they are lucky they might get some fuel.

6 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that! Although I read news from as many sources as possible, not much news from Sri Lanka flows through. I hope you’re getting by alright, it sounds like a very tough situation, especially regarding food and medicine.

3 Likes

Thanks mate. Here’s some BBC news from yesterday. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61505842

2 Likes

Do you have much confidence in the current government?

1 Like

Al Jazeera is a nice resource.

This will take you to their Asia news.

1 Like