What’s on your mind?

In 2003 I bought 2 new SL500’s which are notoriously bad cars for maintenance yet both are still running just fine. It helps they each only have about 30k miles on them now.

So, I can’t imagine not getting 10 years out of any new car purchase.

This is just under 12 months old with 5k miles on the clock. It was either that or wait at least six months for a new one. I do about 5k a year. so much less than average.

Same

The metaverse has a groping problem already

A woman was sexually harassed on Meta’s VR social media platform. She’s not the first—and won’t be the last.

In the letter, Belamire described entering a multiplayer mode, where all characters were exactly the same save for their voices. “In between a wave of zombies and demons to shoot down, I was hanging out next to BigBro442, waiting for our next attack. Suddenly, BigBro442’s disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest. ‘Stop!’ I cried … This goaded him on, and even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.

“There I was, being virtually groped in a snowy fortress with my brother-in-law and husband watching.”

Life is becoming too complicated.

On sale now, Igoo.

1 Like

We had a SL230 for 45 years before I gave it to a very grateful nephew. A very reliable little car.j

2 Likes

My stepson, who buys and sells antique cars, had a Hillman Minx for awhile. I don’t remember what year it was but it ran like a champ.

2 Likes

A British car running?
Surely you jest. :slight_smile:
Bugeye Sprite was my first car. No heater in Kansas City and out run by VWs!
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I bet he was! What a classic!

I believe the 2003 500SL was considered the worst car for maintenance but still one of the most loved. I’ve had fine luck. I love their look but it hurts my hips and knees climbing in and out so they sit in storage. :joy:

1 Like

My neighbor in California had a Karmann Ghia with a bumper sticker that read: My Karma just ran over your dogma.

1 Like

That was their mid-range car at the time. The Imp was their bottom end one (and very under-powered, with an 875cc engine) one. Mine was a 1964 manufacture but it would have been 1970 when I bought it, when I started to learn to drive. I passed my driving test (second try) on Christmas Eve 1971 - so a half century of motoring coming up in a few days.

I had to sell it in 1972 when I got married - needed the money to pay for repairs to the wet rot in the house we were buying.

Of course, like with many industries, the UK does not have a home grown car manufacturer of any numerical significance any longer. Cars are made here but by foreign companies.

2 Likes

That was not my reaction as a woman. It was much more visceral.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting Land Rovers and Jaguars. I had a 1963 Jaguar XKE convertible once. I’m sure it is still running somewhere. My stepson has either a Sprite or a Midget, I can’t keep track.

1 Like

Google reminds me that I posted this on another (non-food) forum back in 2008:

" My first car was a Hillman Imp and, like first love, I remember her well. Her real name was EMB 752B but I always affectionately addressed her as “Start, you bastard. Start”.

4 Likes

I remember that bumper sticker!

1 Like

:flushed: Did you live on Mount Tam?

No, across the bridge.

Which one?
I was always fond of the Richmond San Rafael.
Hate the San Mateo.
The Bay Area’s lesser bridges don’t get enough love.
And a shout out to the Lefty O’Doul!
:wink:

I enjoyed traveling westbound on the San Rafael - Richmond bridge and passing by the Q.

I was rarely in the South Bay so wasn’t on the San Mateo or Dumbarton much.

Needless to say the commute sucks which prompted my moving to southern Marin.

1 Like

Escaped to the desert yesterday. The kid loves traveling and his chair & pool. :joy:

7 Likes