What’s on your mind?

Gobi? Sahara? Palm Springs?

2 Likes

According to Google Maps, we live 7 minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge. Mr. Google has never, apparently, tried to get to the bridge on a week-end.

When we go to the country, which is 135 miles due east of us, we use the Golden Gate and Richmond bridges rather than the seemingly more logical Bay Bridge. It would take us 20 to 30 minutes to get onto the latter, crossing town.

4 Likes

Palm Desert.

Nice to walk without having to bundle up.

5 Likes

My friends live in Palm Desert.
Their 1st move from the BA was Clear Lake.
That didn’t last long.
They hightailed it down there and couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

Yeah, no offense intended to Clear Lake, but Lake County is not for me either.

1 Like

Project way over due . Cleaned between the two pieces of glass on the oven door.

1 Like

:astonished: how do you get between them?

1 Like

You have to take the door off . See you tube for your oven door. There are two clips you flip up , then pull up on the door to release from the hinge. On the bottom of the door there will be large vent holes . Spray mister clean into these . This will penetrate between the glass . Using a 5 gallon paint stick , push a cleaning rag into to vent hole which will have the cloth between the panes . Use the stick to move the rag around. Remove rag . Clean and repeat.

3 Likes

I am in absolute awe. My oven doesn’t have a window, but if it did it would be a permanent art installation. It would complement my oven which currently holds blue ribbon art status.

4 Likes

I do miss my Wedgewood stove from the old house . She cooked beautifully. No window in the door. Loved that stove . White enamel with that chrome.
Living 60 miles north of the natural gas border. I have a electric stove . It’s ok. I’ve learned to drive it , like the old vehicle that slips and slides.

4 Likes

We’ve always had an electric cooker over the nearly 50 years we’ve lived together.

In the country (Sierra foothills) we run our Wedgewood on propane. In town, the ancient Viking in on natural gas. I’m hooked on gas.

1 Like

Growing up on the farm our house was completely electric. No gas anywhere. I didn’t care much about appliances then. Now it’s all gas.

1 Like

Enjoy gas while you can. We will probably see it phased out/outlawed in our time. The city of Berkeley (CA) has already outlawed gas in new construction. Other cities to follow, if gradually.

With our teetering electrical grids, universal electricity seems dicey to me. I well remember a storm in the country that knocked out power. Half of the village wound up at our house for coffee on a freezing winter morning. Fun perhaps, but not as a habit.

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me how full cycle this all sounds, from early days through overuse and overloaded grids.

Same as the cycle from lack and conservation to abundance and waste, and then back to conservation as environmentalism.

1 Like

We recently had a storm in the UK which knocked out power to several thousand homes for several days. It mainly effected rural areas and the problem was that a goodly number of homes were dependent on electricity for pumping water - so no heating, lighting, water.

3 Likes

Believe it or not I graduated from UC-Bezerkeley

1 Like

Why should we doubt it! Go Bears!

2 Likes

What’s this, a flower?

Splendid. So much for the bath.

3 Likes

We live remotely and our towns depend on private wells and septics. So when our power goes out in storms, we have no water, heat or lights as you describe. We fill our bathtub ahead of a pending storm so we have water to flush a toilet. We fill large pots and jugs with water so we can make tea/coffee, brush our teeth and be sure our dogs have water to drink. We have a gas range fueled by a 50 lb. propane tank, so we can cook (but the oven doesn’t work without electricity). We’ve been without power in a few storms for up to a week. A gas powered generator comes in handy during those times.

5 Likes