What’s on your mind?

Aw, thank you, I certainly will! He’s proud of his service, and loves wearing his triple vet hat out, with the conversations it sparks. He’ll be 96 next month, and am so happy to have him still…

7 Likes

Wow! That’s a hat trick! Thank him for me and mine as well. Thanks to all the vets here on H.O. as well.

5 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit - he will appreciate that! Very thoughtful of you.

1 Like

Thanks, you’re too sweet, and an AF vet yourself! And thank you for your service @shrinkrap!

3 Likes

Thank you @shrinkrap! Is the husband a vet too? If so, thanks to him!

Btw - UPS is delivering the thermometer Saturday. :muscle:

2 Likes

He is not, but it was often assumed he was the military member. Major eye roll. Pun intended.

2 Likes

:joy_cat::rofl: Too funny, holding my sides in!

My father in law was a professional soldier for several years during the 1950s and early 1960s. In much later life, we took him on a short trip to the WW1 battlefields, including the nightly Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium. We said he should wear his medals to the ceremony, as others do, but he declined saying something along the lines that his service could not be compared with the thousands of men commemorated on the Gate who had given their lives and that he would be almost embarassed to wear them in their “presence”.

4 Likes

A very modest and humble attitude to be sure! It’s only been since dad’s been an elderly gent, that he’s taken to wearing his hat, which is of the baseball type, with the patches. He really enjoys people talking to him and asking questions, and of course is able to connect with other veterans that way too. It’s sobering to realize how relatively few WW2 Vets are left, isn’t it?

So, thinking of all those who served their respective countries, both the fallen and the living today. May your honorable relatives RIP Harters.

3 Likes

My grandfather was a Civil War vet. My father was on a mine destroyer in the Mediterranean in WWII. My brother was a marine in the South Pacific, surviving Guadalcanal and diverted from Iwo Jima because he contracted meningitis. My husband spent his time at White Sands Missile Base. Our family has been extraordinarily lucky that they all came home.

7 Likes

This was intriguing to me as I’m a Midwest transplant in a ski/tourist town in the mountains, though Oregon and not Colorado.

2 Likes

And just to give a different perspective, my parents lived through the Korean War. And as is typical for Asians, they are very stoic about that period of their young lives.

4 Likes

I’m investing over 700 bucks into my bedding. Can’t wait for the bbab pillows and llbean blankets and flannel sheets . Going to be snug as a bug this winter.

3 Likes

Read this, but will refrain from comment; I also lived this for a minute or two, in a couple different places - dedicated ski towns, both. Florid writing on her part, but it started out somewhat promising… I did follow to a related article, which I thought was much better. Not linking, because it’s not directly relevant.

But, thanks anyway for posting, it did catch my interest, albeit briefly.

1 Like

Florid is an accurate term.
The self publishing of today isn’t always a positive.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, a mixed bag, isn’t it? Certainly not faulting you for it though! :smirk:

(I’ve never met a ski bum yet who expected to buy a house in a resort town, even trust fund ones wouldn’t admit to it) :joy_cat::rofl:

2 Likes

My sister the realtor specializes in trust funders.
:slight_smile:
Her partner for a while was Chris Hale, the Skipper’s son, before he retreated to SoCal .

1 Like

Are you referring to The Deadliest Catch @bbqboy? Guess I coulda just googled…

1 Like

3 Likes

Grandfather? My great grandfather fought in the civil war, Union Army. My grandfather, father, uncle, husband, son and stepson all served in the military. My son and stepson are disabled vets, accidents, not war related. And everyone came home too.

6 Likes