What’s on your mind?

Your saying accessing your car gracefully is a challenge just cracked me up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: well done…and something I completely relate to. Two of the cars are ‘sporty’ touring cars which means they are low also and has my knees/hips complaining to enter/exit and precisely what has me thinking about changing cars. I think I will stay the course… just like you!

3 Likes

US medicine uses a lot of metric.

This isn’t your best effort. :smirk:

Date formats are a hassle. I vote iso.

Mr Bean’s car is pretty low to the ground. Mine has a much higher ground clearance. The main road we need to travel to get anywhere floods fairly often so we need something that can ford a few inches of water. I’m not sure how an electric car handles water but will have to research that when the time comes.

2 Likes

I’m not having problems with low cars - yet. But I do remember the first time I had to get into my boss’s JEEP in a business suit (and women’s suits were still skirted) and had to back in sideways. Not pretty.

2 Likes

Rain is here;
( fell in about one day after six months without)

time to put out sensitive plants.

6 Likes

I’m tired just looking at the photos.

Almost all the winterizing I can do is complete. I’m surprised there’s been no snow in the air yet. Usually it appears before Halloween so there’s still time. :sob:

1 Like

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! :wink: Do NOT use that four-letter word until at least Thanksgiving!

3 Likes

I support Aaron Rogers’ choice regarding the vaccine and to look like a homeless person.

ETA: Yes, I’m drinking.

1 Like

Seems to be a Vikings fan struggling to get out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not that there’s anything wrong with being a Viking fan :disappointed:

On my second cocktail contemplating dinner: duck & spuds or Life cereal.

3 Likes

Drove 165 miles round trip . Picked up the wrong door hinges . Back tomorrow. Completely my fault . Yeah I’m stewing.

7 Likes

Happy Veterans, Armistice, Remembrance Day.

Veterans Day and the Marine Corps Birthday are my favorite holidays of the year.

:us:

To my brothers and sisters here: thank you for your service.

6 Likes

In my thoughts

Staff Sergeant Benjamin Hartley, killed in action on 29/6/1916, aged 40

Private Robert Brough, killed in action on 25/10/1918, aged 29

Two great uncles who didnt come home but have been visited by their great nephew. Not forgotten

7 Likes

My deep appreciation and respect go to your family members for their service and sacrifice. We lost family members in Korea, Vietnam, and a brother in Beirut.

3 Likes

I will echo the sentiments of Harters and Respectfully-Declined, and will add that we owe a debt that can never be repaid to all who gave their lives in service of their country. That is why it’s called a sacrifice.

While many of our family members served, thankfully they all came home.
I’ll be calling my dad today to thank him for serving in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Definitely a day for reflection and gratitude. :us:

6 Likes

Since I posted earlier, I’ve heard that someone from the village has been in France today and visited the grave of one of the 17 men who died in the Great War and who are commemorated on the village war memorial. There are another 32 who died during WW2. It makes our memorial fairly unusual, having fewer deaths in WW1 than WW2 but it represents the growth of the community between the wars from village to suburb.

I’ll share with you the information I have on the guy who died -

NAME: Clifford Harding

NUMBER: 2488

UNIT: 4th Battalion, Guards Machine Gun Regiment

DATE OF DEATH: 29 September 1918

CEMETERY OR MEMORIAL: Terlincthun British Cemetery , Pas de Calais , France

OTHER INFORMATION:

John Harding (a joiner on a farm) had married Henrietta Chandley in the late autumn of 1887 in a civil ceremony at Stockport. In 1901, when the Census was taken, they were living at 67 Church Road, Gatley and had four children – William (13), Robert (9), Clifford (7) and Leonard (2 months). Also living with the family was Henrietta’s brother, Fred Chandley.

Clifford lived all his life in Gatley until he enlisted in Manchester and originally joined the Cheshire Regiment (service no. 40673). This service number is consistent with him enlisting in the early part of 1916. However, his medal entitlement records at the National Archives confirm that he never served abroad with the Cheshires and was, presumably, transferred to the Guards on completion of training.

Clifford died of wounds received and was, presumably, being treated at the hospital adjacent to where he is buried. It cannot be established when he received his wounds but the Guards saw regular action in the month prior to his death, including the second Battle of Bapaume (31 August – 3 September), Battle of Havrincourt (12 September) and the Battle of the Canal du Nord (27 September). In this period, 22 other members of the Battalion were killed; most connected with the action at the Canal.

3 Likes

Just unreal. :pray: Please pass along my gratefulness as well.

2 Likes

Thank him from so many of us as well, @Lambchop. I had no members of my family in any war in the past century (that I’m aware of), so I didn’t have any losses as so many others have. But my heartfelt thanks always go out to those who serve: present, past, and future.

4 Likes