What’s on your mind?

Good one. I agree - American independance was a win-win situation all round. Britain should never have bothered to fight a war over it. It wasnt worth even the fairly minor hassle. Once we were rid of that colony, it allowed us to crack on with building the empire. Not-for-profit colonisation never featured again for us. We really should celebrate 4 July as Thanksgiving.

1 Like

I drive a nearly 10 year old Skoda, with 50k on the clock. My companion drives a 4 year old Skoda with about 12k on the clock.

We’ll replace mine fairly soon, although my companion will drive the replacement and I’ll take over the 4 year old. It will be petrol. Between us, we should be able to keep both going for another decade by which time the government schedules petrol/diesel vehicles will no longer be available. It may well be that my eyesight will have deteriorated by then - I’ll be in my early 80s - and my driving days would be at an end. And I have no interest in driving an electric vehicle.

I accept the two-faced attitude here and genuinely feel a sense of shame that I am not as “green” as I like to portray myself. Not least as, in politics, I generally support the very progressive policies of our Green Party.

gerne geschehen

As I have already mentioned, (and surely anyone knows whether they agree or not), “transparency, protect democracy, protect people, disinformation” etc are words conveniently defined to suit someone’s political agenda. Mozilla lady was calling for deplatforming Trump. She said it wasn’t enough. If that’s not politically siding with one party, then I don’t know what else is.

Wikipedia being a political arm of one system is a well-known fact. But if you haven’t noticed it then let me explain it.
Wikipedia’s tone of language is different when it comes to their favourites and opponents. But let me set that aside and show you one good example of their bias.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Summer_Olympics_boycott#Soviet_doping_plan
In 1980 USA and their supporters boycotted the Olympics. And as a result Russia and their supporters boycotted the 1984 Olympics. In 2020 they added a new subtopic “Soviet Doping Plan” which has no evidence at all. All they have given in support is something said by some film director named Bryan Fogel. He says that “Russia knew that every single one of their athletes were going to be caught for doping” without a shred of evidence, just what he thinks. And that is citation enough for Wikipedia.
But if that was other way round, if it was about the USA, Wikipedia won’t accept anything less than a proven declaration by a tribunal appointed by the UN.
Now, as evidence if you are expecting me to show you an article in Wikipedia mentioning “we favour our favourites” then sorry there’s no such evidence.

The Wikipedia page on Soviet doping (which is easily reachable via the page you linked to) has dozens of citations from news organizations, which seems like plenty of evidence to me.

And almost all of Wikipedia’s contributions are made by its readers. I could be one. You could be one. Its logline is “the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.” Thus, Wikipedia as an organization (unlike, say Fox News or MSNBC) really has no political affiliation, although its editors (again, that could be us!) probably do.

No, she wasn’t. By the time that post was written, Trump had already been deplatformed by Twitter. And as I’ve said previously, Firefox can’t keep anyone from using its browser, because (unlike Twitter) you can’t post on a browser and (also unlike Twitter) you don’t have to be logged in to use a browser.

LMS: Trump isn’t the republican party, though that’s his desire. I don’t think you understand American politics.
This is why politics has always been off limits on this little corner of the internet.
I’m done.

I agree. However, Trump seems to have a lot of support as per the last election results hence I didn’t mention republican party instead called it Trump (as a collective noun for his ideology)
But politics should be off limits here I agree.

2 Likes

I think that you haven’t followed exactly what I’ve been telling. I began that Firefox cannot be trusted based on the comments and siding of its CEO. My point is not about Trump or Biden or anyone else individually. My point is that the CEO has political bias, and openly calles for “more than deplatforming”. Now that stands in support of my first point: Firefox is not unbiased, and hence cannot be totally trusted. They will sell your data if the necessity arises, or their political party asks for it. It won’t go on books, but it may happen. That’s the gist of what I’ve been telling so far.

About Wikipedia, there’s much more to “community editing” than what they say. They have editors(not by that name but some established contributors) and those editors are all on one side. Try to add anything that’s against the US and you’ll find it gone in seconds. But if you post anything to blame Russia or China you’ll find that they stand forever. I am not a fan of any of those countries please don’t misunderstand. My best friend is an Israeli.

Can you please show me any substantial evidence about a “soviet doping programme” that was published before 2010 cited in this article? I mean any evidence published by a reputed publisher, but with evidence? I’m not challenging here honestly I couldn’t find one although you said there are.

He lost by every measure. His denial of that and subsequent actions are unheard of previously.
It makes us look like every other country, something we’ve never said before.
The essence of our dilemma in the USA.
:slight_smile:
Cheers!
Back to food!

1 Like

Mod note: Per site rules: Excluded discussions – Please no discussions on the following topics: Policies, politics, racism, disability, religion, sexual orientation, discrimination.

This discussion will be locked if these discussions persist. Thanks for your understanding.

4 Likes

Really sorry about that. My bad. Let’s talk about food, as @bbqboy said :smile:

Some pork. It was frozen in a square container and now it looks like a cube.

1 Like

Picking on Brits is still fair game, right?

3 Likes

Absolutely. Our sense of humour is well known.

4 Likes

Indeed, but not for their spelling.

2 Likes

Actually, a lot of insinuated (or not!) British bawdy humor would never be said on American television, so I’d give a lot of British shows the nod as to which is better.

1 Like

I use British spelling. Sometimes the online dictionary picks on me!

1 Like

My husband wants “my” next car to be electric for whatever reasons seem convenient when the subject of my car is brought up. Aside from the fact that it is sort of low, and it’s getting harder to get in gracefully, I love my car and would keep it forever.

3 Likes

I’ve read that probably most people across the world, learning English as a second language, now learn American English, as it’s construction is simpler and easier to understand. This is a good thing - our construction and pronunciation is silly and archaic. The sooner we British learn to use American English rather than our own outdated form, the better. And we should return to having our days and months format as they were 100 years ago - month then day. We have no need to conform to European standards as we’re not going to be allies with the French in a war anytime soon. And it’ll save confusion - whenever I hear reference to 9/11, I always wonder what happened in early November

And then there’s the ludicrous metric system. We should be reverting to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. Come on, even after 50 years no-one knows whether 25 Celsius is a nice day or not. But, we have started on the process, the government is to change the law so that, once again, we will be able to buy and sell things weighed only in pounds and ounces. Hurrah. And not a moment too soon - after all these years, I’ve still not fully grasped that 100kg really does mean that I’m a fat man.

Our shower (manufactured in not-America) tells you the water temperature in Celsius. So I know that 38 C is a good shower temperature. But only because we have this weird shower.

And I like to measure baking weights in grams, because it’s easier to double or halve amounts.

4 Likes