What’s on your mind?

Internet dropping every minute, literally. Affected my game really badly. I’m in the Legend League and losing it due to getting disconnected every time I play.
Trying hard to post this too.

I didn’t get much time to log in here due to my Tourist Guide course. Anyone left hurt? Hope everyone will be back as usual.
I was on a forum long ago and posted a joke in the jokes forum. However it was deemed racist and was removed and I was warned in public. I told the admin that if the person who was hurt had told me I would have removed it myself. Anyway I was really hurt because I didn’t mean to do anything of the sort, and left the forum.
Then the admin sent me a personal email saying that I wasn’t at fault in any way, and it wasn’t a racist post, but another member reported it. I never even bothered to respond, and found this forum. I am still here, and the members even offered me help in correcting a document for me.

8 Likes

Like you, I was on another forum, prior to coming here. I didn’t like the treatment I received from the moderators/admins, so I left and came here.
I’ve been both welcomed and helped by the forum. I have learned so much since joining and am very appreciative.

5 Likes

connection issues aside, Forum software is not always perfect.

many places I have learned to compose any reply in an independent WordPad/NotePad window, then paste&post.

always save the word/note pad as as tmp.rtf/tmp.txt file. more than oncehundred I have had to revert to a saved file to -sigh- eventually post to a Forum.

many Forum software provide a “canned” response to bans or deletes.
mostly idiotic responses - but that’s how the admin configures it.

when somebody causes a food fight - that and all the following messages typically get deleted as they no longer are pertinent to the thread.
and . . . if you responded in the middle of the food fight, you get the same canned nasty gram as everyone else.

just inadequate Forum software/management, nothing personal, as the Godfather would say…

I have made it a habit to type on a notepad and then cut paste in the reply box. Problem only starts then :sweat_smile: Internet is so weak that I have to press post and run around the house to catch a drop of signal.:sweat_smile: However, I believe that the power cuts cause that due to some signal towers not having proper backup generators. Maybe.
About software, canned responses like what you get on Reddit are understandable. What annoys me is that some mods on some forums abuse their power. I had a huge argument on the Supercell forum when it was online, with a mod.
At the end he had to admit that he was wrong. But another mod threatened to ban me. That moment I warned them in public that if they continue with that attitude they’re going to lose users and would have to shut it down. And it happened after just one year. They shut down the forums due to not getting enough members. Just as the community manager announced it, I messaged him with a screenshot of my previous prediction. And posted it on the message board too.
What happened? They banned me, even though it was the last few days.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
However, I found that those mods were not Supercell employees, but had been selected from among the community.

1 Like
6 Likes

you win- it was only in the 80s here today. good grief!

I think our high was “only” 92 today. Some records were set closer to the bay, and it will be cooler tommorow.

1 Like

Woke up to a frost-covered yard this morning. Only managed the mid-50s today and back to freezing tonight. Just what we need: early winter at a time when oil prices are through the roof. They do promise mid-to-high 60s by the weekend.

1 Like

We had a little frost here this morning (Boston area) and it is 44F right now (9:30pm EDT). We have central heat and air that is electric (because of condo rules). We have a pellet stove to supplement and keep electric prices down. We’ve already burned through more than half a hopper of pellets today!

2 Likes

Currently 53f in Portland Maine, We’re usually about the same as Boston & 10 degrees colder then the suburb of NYC I grew up in.

1 Like

Low of 43F in nyc today. In early October. Where’s my autumn?

High 50s and getting into low 70s over the weekend. It’s been an absolutely stunning fall here so far, and the foliage has been breathtaking. The Boonies, PA.

Best weather I’ve ever seen in San Francisco where I am right now! Mid 60’s and sunny!

7 Likes

88 degrees on Sunday in the Puget Sound area, it broke a record I think. As others have mentioned, the air is heavy with smoke, especially north of us. Hopefully it won’t be an issue much longer, since there’s rain on the way.

2 Likes

Nonstop rain here in Sri Lanka. Not very heavy rain but the whole day. Main problem for me is the drying of washed clothes. Lol.

3 Likes

Is this “content”? My “curated feed” apparently thought this is what I want to read.

" Substitution #3: Tillamook Cheese

Also native to the USA, Tillamook cheese is a blend of high-quality cow’s milk. Tillamook has the same soft texture as Colby cheese, making it perfect for melting. However, Tillamook may have a sharper taste that reminds one more of mature Cheddar.

Tillamook cheese is an excellent substitute for white Cheddar cheese if you are looking for a soft cheese that has a similar flavor to white Cheddar cheese.

Note: this is a specific cheese brand, not a type of cheese."

" Substitution #5: Double Gloucester Cheese

Double Gloucester cheese comes from Gloucester, England, and is made from high-quality cows"…( no, I did not edit out the word milk).

Sigh. Learning about making Gouda, annd findingit interesting.

8 Likes

All those “top rated” websites (and other websites too) operate like this: select a niche that has a demand, and get some articles written by the cheapest “writer” you can find on fiverr or somewhere. Publish your articles, and pay Google and Facebook to force it into feeds.
Sometimes those “expert advice” is written by someone in Bangladesh or Pakistan who had never even heard of the subject before the job was awarded.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading 1-star reviews of carbon steel woks sold through Amazon. The seller takes care to explain that carbon steel rusts, you need to wash it newly received, thoroughly dry, heat, and season a few times.

The most common complaint on the 1-star reviews goes something like this.

• Do NOT waste your money on this piece of junk. I washed it just like they said, and put it in my dish rack to dry. The next day when I pulled it off the rack it had rusted everywhere, even dripping rusty stains on the other dishes under it. I scrubbed it really hard to remove all the rust and set it to dry and it rusted up again. Piece of junk!

The seller also explains that this is a round bottomed wok and unsuitable for cooking on flat top surfaces. Probably the 2nd most common complaint is about how it is unsteady on their ceramic cooktop.

The seller also warns against using the carbon steel wok to cook highly acidic foods. Although no where near as common as the above, I see people complaining that “after I boiled tomato soup in it the surface was bad again and it got rusty flavor in my soup”.

There are over 500 1-star ratings on this wok, most variations on the themes above, and very few legit complaints (my “legit” means something they could not have been aware of by simply reading the seller’s highlights). Overall it has some 10,000 reviews, most pretty happy (4.5 star average).

3 Likes