What’s on your mind?

Is this website dying? It seems the posting activity over the last month to 8 weeks has dropped precipitously.

I have not spent time to do analytics on this, though. Just my perception.

C’est la vie.

1 Like

You can’t be serious? Perhaps this particular thread has slowed down for some reason, but the other boards are just as active as ever.

3 Likes

Hi. Yes, I was serious. But, I wasn’t talking about this thread or the “not about food” board.

Perhaps it’s because I don’t frequent the regional boards which seem to be getting a lot of upcoming travel queries, but the cooking discussions seems to have fallen off outside of the standardized “monthly” type posts.

2 Likes

I don’t participate in many regional discussions, so I can’t speak to those. Cooking, culture, media, etc. seem to be going just fine, but honestly the traffic here has never been massive.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed, but maybe a lot of frequent posters are traveling.

Thanks. I’m fairly new (hadn’t been to CH in a year or so before the shutdown, then found HO when I learned of it) so it’s possible I started during an uptick in posts and that may have kind of set my head on what normal was, not having the 7-year history that the bulk of you guys have here.

2 Likes

7 Likes

During the pandemic lock down, I was bored and installed a new kitchen countertop. I had been gathering supplies as they went on sale and when we went into lock down, it was the perfect time to install the granite tiles.
Fast forward two years and two of my tiles popped. And I don’t know why, there was no water intrusion and the thinset/mortar underneath looked good (no obvious defects). I removed the offending tiles, cleaned them up, mixed up some new thinset and clamped them down. Fingers crossed they don’t pop, again.

4 Likes

@threedogs I saw your post about not having a car and wanted to comment, but didn’t want to derail that thread.
Personally, I prefer to use my bicycle and bicycle cargo trailer to go to the grocery store. Using some scrap masonite board, I “up-cycled” an old child trailer (that I found at Goodwill) into a cargo trailer.
I enjoy the quiet ride over & back, get some exercise and just feel more relaxed when I get home.

2 Likes

Hopefully they’ll stick, but my guess is steam (or even just heat) from the dishwasher causing a temporary flex in the sub-surface wood. So it gets warm and flexes a bit in one direction (maybe bowing) then cools again and flexes in the other direction. Over time I could see this causing the adhesive to fail.

I’ve got a Bosch dishwasher that despite supposedly being well-insulated, will raise the temp on my granite countertop (this is slab rather than tileworks) up to about 110°F (with normal surface temp closer to 73).

But hopefully this will be a permanent fix. If not, if you’ve got an airspace between the top of the washer cabinet and the particleboard or whatever the counter subsurface is, maybe you could add an insulative sheet material.

You are probably correct. If it pops again, I’ll go to the tile store (or home improvement store) and ask about a heat resistant adhesive. I imagine there is some caulk or glue that would be resistant to the heat coming from the dishwasher.

In my mind it’s a near toss up between heat and flex being the culprit causing the actual adhesive failure, but I’d lean a bit toward blaming flex. But if you get a caulk that is heat resistant, it’ll likely be tolerant to a bit of flex, too. So either way I’d hope you’d be covered.

1 Like

Yes… I’m re-furbishing this house and its an older home (not that fancy) and I couldn’t justify the cost of granite slab countertops.
Granite Slab countertops are beautiful, but expensive (compared to granite tile). I got the gray granite tile when it was on sale for $2/square foot.

2 Likes

That’s a great price. Heck, even cheap ceramic floor tiles run more than that.

1 Like

Yes… when I saw it on sale, I grabbed 200 square feet. I have a lot left over from countertop project.
So I was thinking… I have an over-sized garage, how about a bar in the garage… give it more of a “man-cave” feel. Gray granite with black grout should work for a “man-cave” bar.

3 Likes

I’m going into the way back machine. I used to rush home to watch great chefs in the 80 's jotting recipes down
I’m back to that again 2022 .
Been watching. on you tube .
Great chefs of Hawaii producing new ideas
I’m like in a college class writing down notes .
Mary Lou Conroy narrative is superior as always.

4 Likes

Good for you! What’s old is new again. I especially love the Great Chefs of Hawaii, and have a companion cookbook to the series. Lots of good flavors and ideas there.

4 Likes

I love the way she says “pepper”!

1 Like

Great Chefs of the Southwest:

Mary Sue Milliken & Susan Feniger
Birdie at the YO Ranch
Salt Lick BBQ - She used the leftover juice from peach cobbler canned peaches in their bbq sauce. Her father’s secret ingredient. He never wasted anything.

Loved the Great Chef series.

3 Likes

Trying to think of “negative feedback you receive due to poor communication”.
The national tourist guide license course is going on :sweat_smile:.

5 Likes