What’s on your mind?

That’s encouraging. Hopefully, yours will be a mild case. Perhaps, when you are better, you can get a vaccine? Best wishes!

The U.S. brought in a new mosquito (for us), Aedes albopictus, from Asia. This invasive is very aggressive, breeds in tiny amounts of water, and can vector a bunch of diseases, including Dengue.

We use a liquid bacteria: Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis, to kill mosquito larvae. Mixed in water and put into a backpack sprayer, we spray this bacteria into anything that holds water. The mosquito larvae die within 18 hours. Before this, it was impossible to work outdoors without being covered with nasty chemical insect repellants.

Bloodsuckers are nasty; my neighbor was hospitalized from an infected tick bite and a friend of my brother died from a tick bite!

3 Likes

As someone who lives in a northerly, mosquito heavy state. I have used lavender to replace 40% DEET in my repellent diet. Skeeters love. They have posters of me in their bedrooms. I’m a mosquito magnet. Was just up north weeks ago and , by a friends suggestions, tried lavender soap, then mix lavender oil with coconut oil when I got out of the shower. Doused myself. Eve deer flies didn’t ding me when I was in the sun. Mosquitos are the state bird in northern WI. Had four to five dings after a full week. Usually , it’s about 50 per night. I’m sticking with it. Previously I’d spray up with 40% DEET four to five times per day.

I’m gonna invest in one motherload of lavender plants next summer. had tow this year. Bugs hate lavender. And I had the bonus of smelling like a French…lady of the evening. Still, better than all that DEET.

5 Likes

Thank you so very much everyone. I’m back on recovery. Platelets 200,000. That’s past the minimum of 150k. Still very weak but knowing it’s over, that’s another level feeling. I had no complications luckily but some others are not so lucky.
Your words gave me courage, and that’s something that cannot be bought no matter how rich one is. Thank you for the wishes and the healing you sent me. :sunflower:

17 Likes

Thank you so much for the update, and so glad to hear you’re on the way to recovery!

4 Likes

Apparently the doe who just walked through the property is alone. There were two fawns last week . One this week. I believe they are not home doing dishes.

1 Like
5 Likes

Interesting. But I wonder if they’re failing to capture some of the more watched Asian and Middle Eastern cooking shows on YT. Either those guy’s have figured out a way to punk the stats, or they’re really getting 3-5 million views per recipe episode.

Her show looks fun. Wish my Spanish was better.

One of hers I posted long ago. They’re subtitled.
These might be North American statistics, judging from the shows.

1 Like

I think it will help me practice my listening Spanish.

1 Like

This goes along with the story
:frowning:

1 Like

That is a different cook and channel (Abuela’s Kitchen vs. De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina).

I can’t find any subtitles in the vids from the lady in your Wednesday afternoon post (De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina).

I need to get Babbel or Rosetta Stone or whatever the “newest thing” is in language learning these days. Maybe a direct-to-brain infusion like in The Matrix?

1 Like

You are right!
Cool, I’m an idiot, but now I have another channel to watch. I already had followed her. Oh well, I’m old.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is the 100th anniversary of my high school and my delayed by covid 50th, which I didn’t make it back for.
My longtime friend Bill B. went searching for our thespian graffiti. :slight_smile:
I’m Bill Voss in the pic.
Almost cave paintings.

"It:s still there, Bill Voss. I had to ask a vice principal, but he had the keys and corrected my faulty memory. More importantly, he had the generosity to indulge me on my quest.

In either the fall of 1969 or the spring of 1970, we had cause to enter the light perch in the ceiling of the school auditorium, and we’re confronted by a heavy, steel door before we could acçess the catwalk to the perch. The door was covered in scribblings of those who had gone before, so we added our own. It was, after all, a tradition. On the 100th anniversary of the founding of Shawnee Mission North, I set out to see if our mementoes we’re still there. According to the vice principal who aided and abetted me on my mission, (no pun intended… But I’ll take it) our personalization on this door will probably remain until the building is demolished, long after the memory of us has faded. I’ve never been immortal before. At least I’m in good company."

9 Likes

Tom Brady - For once I’m rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.

Eagles fan here–For once I’m rooting for Tom Brady :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:eagle: :eagle: :eagle: :eagle:

1 Like

Today was the inauguration day of the national tourist guide license course. There were 65 participants. All were divided in to 2 groups.
Now comes the next challenge - travelling there every day. I’m too tough to be discouraged by that, lol.

7 Likes

APB @ScottinPollock Haven’t noticed recent posts. Are you safe from or affected by the Mosquito Fire? Sending all good thoughts.

1 Like

Sent by a friend.
Kansas takes pride in their ball.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

After 8 months of trying to evict a tenant. Going through sleepless nights , every emotion possible. It was a fight to the end . Going through the court system with legal help . Loss of rent plus paying the utilities. Landlords have zero rights. I mean zero . It’s finally over . The defendant signed the agreement to be out on the 25 of September. Of course I’m expecting damage to the building. I’ll be drinking wine in the studio cabin on the 26th . I’ve got this . Cheers

9 Likes