What’s on your mind?

After sting #6, I backed off and started watching where they went. I think I found the colony. Ran to the store for a couple of cans of HotShot wasp spray (the kind you can shoot from 10 feet away).

Used one can so far. I’ll see if that’s enough or not.

I checked online sources about inactivity times with these wasps but unfortunately it won’t get anywhere near cool enough in this area (below 50°F) to complete my work. Plus, rigging lights to try to finish the work at night is supposed to be a huge draw for them. That’s why I figured my best option (if I want to get this gate done before December) was chemicals.

So - off wid dere heads. I gotta get this gate done today.

2 Likes

Last year, I killed 13 in-ground yellowjacket nests. In any given year, I kill a bunch. The best time to find the nests is early, when the sun is shining at an angle and you can see the nest traffic. My guess is that your fence work is close to the nest and possibly the vibration from a hammer gets them pissed off. Once you find the entrance hole(s), killing them is simple.

Remember landmarks or visual cues during the daylight to remember where the holes are. Sometimes, a pointer stick can be carefully laid to help you; just don’t cover the exit! Then, use a flashlight/headlamp at night to kill them using one of the following methods:

An old standby is to pour about a pint of gasoline down the hole at night; then, immediately cover the hole with a shovelful of dirt. This seals in the fumes. Gasoline vapors sink and will destroy the colony. Do not light it on fire, as some say; that is dangerous and pulls gasoline vapors out of the hole.

In vegetable gardens, where I do not want to add gasoline to the soil, I’ve used the strongest, cheapest vodka I can find, instead of gasoline. Twice, days after the hornets were killed, skunks dug up the pickled nests and ate the vodka-laden dead insects. Bet they had hangovers!

A third method, where I had perennials right next to the nest, avoids solvents that might kill plants: At night, take a trowel and drop about a cup of sevin dust right over the hole(s). The yellowjackets may dig it out, but they’ll track the insecticide into the nest on their feet and abdomens, ultimately killing them. On large colonies, you may need to repeat this step.

A fourth way, which is useful in certain circumstances, is to generate sulphur dioxide gas and trap the fumes over/in the nest. In the “old days”, you could get smoke bombs that would do the trick. Mixtures of 35% powdered sulphur, 38% Potassium nitrate and about 27% sugar should work, stuffed into a paper tube with match heads in the top to start the flare. A metal bucket on top could serve as an effective lid, if the edges were sealed with soil. Plan on wearing disposable clothing and showering afterwards; any drift of that on you will make you reek. By omitting the sulphur in the top inch of the flare, you can start it with minimal stink, get it covered, and back away before the sulphur starts to smolder. I’ve used these to kill large numbers of voles, by plunging the lit flares into tunnels. Avoid starting a fire!

Skunks feed on yellowjackets. I’ve often wondered if skunks could be lured to nests by sprinkling some sardines near the nest. Yeah, in suburbia you might get the neighbor’s dog or cat; but out here, in the sticks, there are no pets hanging around.

Yellowjackets can “tag” you with an attack pheromone when they sting. This means you’re “it”, and they’ll follow the odor trail when you run. I’ve had them follow me into the house. Large nests can be lethal and even small nests are dangerous to anyone allergic to their sting.

6 Likes

Rob, where have you been all my life???

Just kidding.

I didn’t see your post in time, though. So what I did worked, but was maybe not optimal. As mentioned I ran to the grocery and got 2 cans of wasp spray (the stuff that will shoot out 10 feet or so). I followed the critters back to their nest and sprayed it good. I picked up two more stings in the process, but whatever. What’s the difference between 8 stings and 6 stings? Two stings. Doh!

And I’m not allergic. Although they do hurt like holy hell. Even a couple of hours later, when my shirt rubs against the stings.

And I did notice some of that “following” behaviour you mention. Vicious little buggers, as I said at the start of this thing!

Anyway, one fence gate rebuilt. Another to do tomorrow (other side of the house), and you can betcha I’ll be watching for wasps.

Why can’t this be easy? Wednesday last I told my FIL I’d replace 4 of his rotten treads on his deck stairway. I figured a few hours, including the time to match his stain on the new treads.

Of friggin’ COURSE, it turns out his stringers were so rotten on those steps that I had to rebuild/buttress them as well. Why can’t any simple repair be simple?

They never ever are.

3 Likes

30 foot stream, baby. Hit and run! Whacked a mess of white baldheads last week. Nasty bastids.

1 Like

Love ths kunk idea. Yes, the best time to spot them is AM. The best time to kill’em all is at night, when everyone’s tucked in for bed. I’ve used gas, but lit it up. I’m not paying for unignited gas!

I use Bee Bopper these days. $3 kills a lot of 'jackets/baldheads. Lure a skunk with sardines. That’s great.

1 Like

My dad was a carpenter, so I was often his “volunteer” for side jobs. So many customers thought you were gouging them by saying you had to rebuttress the stairs, and things like that. So very rare that things go easily. I loved it when a guy would offer to help us for a discount. My dad would then raise the price. “I’m sorry, we have to get home tonight, and I don’t have the time to teach you today.”

2 Likes

Watched a video of Komodo dragons eating a deer alive, it will haunt me for weeks I guess. One of the most painful ways to go. Not posting it here because I don’t want to put you in the same hell of a nausic nightmare.

5 Likes

Well, there goes my idea of having a Komodo dragon as a house pet.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for your restraint. As someone who sees deer in my yard most days I don’t think I could watch that (though I’ll admit I’ve only seen komodo dragons in the zoo).

3 Likes

I’ll add my thanks, too. I’ve been lucky enough to not have hit a deer with my car yet (they are abundant where I live), but I’ve encountered a few unlucky creatures in my life: a chipmunk, a rabbit, and a snow owl - the ladder being the most traumatizing.

I tell myself it’s (usually, hopefully!!!) a quick death compared to being torn to shreds alive by a hawk, something I’ve had the questionable pleasure of witnessing in the tree in our backyard. Yikes.

2 Likes

I’ve seen my fair share of squirrels succumb to foxes and birds to cats. At least when the hawks grab a squirrel or a snake they have the decency to fly away with it and eat it out of my sight :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a cat who escaped my house a few times–one cardinal, one field mouse and one baby bunny. She was born outside but had been an indoor cat from six weeks. But man, she was fast and lethal when the opportunity presented itself.

1 Like

Thankfully, our monkey boy is too chonky to ever catch one of those tweaky chipmonks. Even the rabbits could outrun him… if we were ever to let him out. He’s got a nice pen for the patio.

1 Like

My girls had a nice large screened-in patio to enjoy the sights\sounds\smells of the outdoors. But every now and then the aptly named Malgato would bolt through the front door.

2 Likes

Probably not the best idea. Remember this?

4 Likes

As a young teen I once opened the front door to a police officer and a DNR officer. Someone had made a complaint we were taking pheasant out of season. I was like, what? Tom, you know us, we don’t hunt out of season (the cop was a Deacon or Elder at our church).

But the evidence was all over the front stoop where they were standing (unmistakable rooster pheasant plumage).

I whistled and yelled “Dusty!” and my dog came trotting around the side of the house, sure enough with half-eaten rooster pheasant. I said “give” and he dropped it. They decided they couldn’t ticket a person for something the dog did.

5 Likes

There’s a few things that we all want to unsee. Some things we wish we were not shown. This is one of them.
I understand how nature works. But Komodo dragon doesn’t have the decency of killing it before eating.
@bbqboy I don’t think a Komodo dragon is a good idea as a pet. My advice too is, don’t.

6 Likes

Amen. None are exempt from such experiences; some can’t help but see more than their fair share.

4 Likes

I’ve only hit a deer once in my 42 years here on the coast. I had just turned on to 101 so I wasn’t going very fast. I was looking in my rear view mirror as my road is at the top of a hill and sometime cars come flying over the top. I looked back at the road and a deer was standing in the middle of the lanes. Oh, please stay there, no it leapt in front of me. I slammed on my breaks and it sort of rolled over the front of my truck and landed on the side of the highway. I stopped and got out to check and it was dead still with it’s big brown eyes staring at me. I though it was dead. I looked for it on my way back from town and it was gone, I decided I only stunned it and it got up and went on it’s merry way.
My avatar killed a bunny once but I forgave him because he was a great mouser/ratter.

4 Likes

The latest Lume commercial on TV just now. OMG. What will that woman come up with next.