What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

We had leftover Honeybaked Ham (from our post Thanksgiving celebration on Friday), and used the bone from the Honeybaked Ham to make stock and then cabbage to make soup.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 10.32.16 AM

17 Likes

I hesitated to reply, but I am puzzled. :thinking:
Maybe you know, and @Saregama 's wikipedia link reminded us, that Dum Pukht is a historic South Asian cooking technique (steaming or roasting on low and slow heat, lid sealed with a dough strip).
That’s why the menu featured the dishes named for that cooking technique, because that’s how they were made.
It’s not some ‘lewd and lascivious’ name … :thinking:

Agree - I buy Vanilla Bean Noel candles from Bath and Body Works or DW Home Vanilla Bean candles from Home Goods (when I can find them there). They seem to take care of any cooking smell after an hour or so of burning the double-wicks.

1 Like

What I miss most about living in a real city is the ability to access some niche cuisines. I love dim sum so hard, and our closest good one is a 75 min drive. So we never go TO it, but sometimes go a bit out of our way for it, if we’re off to Seattle.

1 Like

I hope I’m not overstepping, but I’m going to ask a why question. You had 28 lbs of turkey for 10 people, and it seems that you weren’t actually that excited to have the ton of leftovers that you did, and froze a lot. Why cook so much in the first place? We had just a smidge left of a 5 lb boneless breast that served 7. Didn’t need to freeze any, although I have frozen it in the past. And we still have stuffing and gravy sitting that for some reason we don’t want so much this year as in the past.

1 Like

Just how many CSA turnips did you get? :slight_smile:

It’s pretty much a big bunch per week!

1 Like

A little funny tale. My kiddo who is nearly 17 is just beginning to spend his money to buy gifts for his friends on their bdays and such. Just after T-day he went to the mall and he and a friend allegedly spent an hour in bath and body works smelling it all. They walked out with one candle and 2 headaches from the perfumes.

4 Likes

Mojo pork tacos (filling from scratch) tonight. No veg but for the condiments. :scream:

I found a $12 pork shoulder at 50% off today, hence the meal. The tortillas were rough and old but served their purpose.

18 Likes

Last night ended up being subs via delivery. So, tonight I used up the leftover fish and rice stew. Since it was very risotto like, I added a couple of eggs and some pecorino and panko and made fritters/cakes. Then I shallow fried them in olive oil. They were served with a tomato-almond pesto, along with a mixed green salad. Very good for improvising on the fly!

21 Likes

I took some amusing photos of the process and mess:

17 Likes

Dinner out today at our favorite ramen place in town. House-made pork gyoza, katsu don, spicy miso ramen. Good stuff on a cold, windy, rainy day.

17 Likes

Today was the leftovers from yesterday’s super Turkish eggplant, lentil, pom molasses dish.

To go with, today I tried making Bazlama (Turkish leavened flatbread or village bread). There seem to be two versions: one thicker that doesn’t puff open to a pocket, and one thinner that does like a pita. I made the latter. This one gets toasted on a CI pan, though you can use the oven too.

I used this recipe, only I used 300 gms APF and 200 gms WW flour.

My first attempt, it came out really well. You can see the puff on the stovetop, and the pocket on my plate.

20 Likes

Looks great! Did it taste like pita? Seems softer.

1 Like

It tasted like pita. It was somewhat softer. Unlike pita, the dough has yogurt in it (like naan).

2 Likes

I always thought only home naan had had yogurt (instead of yeast), not the actual stuff outside (and inversely that kulcha had yogurt, that’s why it was softer). But I have no actual idea, because when one looks up home recipes everything has everything these days :joy:

1 Like

Mini-penne with garden tomatoes, preserved last summer ala Nigel Slater. Caesar salad with homemade dressing.

Thanks to a suggestion from @ BeefeaterRocks to freeze the herb-roasted tomatoes (ref. this thread). A quick, economical, and tasty supper!

19 Likes

True! I have seen naan recipes with yogurt or with yeast or with both. I also thought kulchas had yogurt. Everything has a whole wheat option nowadays.
Bazlama seems to have both yogurt and yeast. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Had planned to cook chicken for dinner, so I defrosted some. But no cooking mojo.

So I ate the leftover dal, green beans, and rice with another piece of salmon baked with mustard and green chillies.

16 Likes

Not overstepping by any means. We did have a lot of turkey leftover but most of it was divvied up and sent home with my nieces and nephews. My mother and aunt got several TV-dinner type meals for their freezers. All the dark meat was gone so I took the two breast pieces. I got the carcasses as I am the only soup maker in the family (well my sister makes a lot of soup but she is a vegetarian).

In addition to the turkey we had lots of sides left which I find harder to repurpose and which I tire of much quickly than the turkey itself. I did make a batch of stuffing waffles to freeze for hot turkey sandwiches using one of the breast pieces. Sweet potatoes turned into a curried sweet potato and squash soup for the freezer as well. Now I’m left with some cranberries which will be used up with weekend as part of a cheese board.

About the only thing that did get finished up was the case of wine, the bourbon and the gin. Amazingly we did have some vodka left over. Not to think we are that big of drinkers - we were together from Friday night to Monday morning. Our Thanksgiving dinner was the Sunday before the actual holiday.

13 Likes