What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

We’re being miserly with fats and calories at the moment. So I’m glad to hear a lighter spin still works!

Brown lentils?

I had some red chori (adzuki?) so I used those.

I think you get brown lentils in the regular supermarket, it must be quite easy to find. Or use whatever is most alike.

I boiled the lentils with Better than Bouillon and a little red pepper (cayenne?) powder for added taste.

For the diced vegetable mixture I added a tsp or so of my newly acquired Harissa powder.

But I think the recipe as originally written will be great too. The pomegranate molasses adds such a great flavour punch.

2 Likes

dinner

Shrimp salad on avocado. Roasted romanesco with za’atar. Life could be worse!

14 Likes

Good calls. Thanks for all the detail!

You’re welcome.
Do circle back and report if you make it.

1 Like

I have not had pasta in quite some time. Getting ready for the snow tomorrow night. Supposed to be a good s

torm. Any way . Two tomatoes seeded , Some chopped garlic, and a couple Monterey bay anchovies for the sauce .
Sauteed prawns tossed with the tomatoes.
A couple halved anchovies on top .
This was spot on and so darn good . I will definitely be making this soon again. Cheers

21 Likes

Sweet potato salad made by roasting sweet potatoes, red pepper and chickpeas in the oven with seasoned oil (with paprika and cinnamon) and finished with a dressing made from garden-vegetable cream cheese, milk and white wine vinegar

12 Likes

Your mention of shalgam reminded me that Shalgam Gosht (Meat with Turnips) is a frequent dish in North Indian homes when turnips are in season. Like the use of potatoes in curry, but firmer and stronger in flavor.

@ChristinaM you can use any basic meat curry preparation and add the turnips to it (in large chunks if they’re big, or whole/halved if they’re small, and pan-fry them first if you don’t want them breaking apart).

Here’s one with the usual onion-tomato-ginger-garlic base, and another which is very simple with just a few whole spices to enhance the natural flavors.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this. Many other recipes end up creating tomato paste by roasting or long-cooking (eg: Ina).

I’ve tried SE, which is half tomato paste and half canned tomatoes. I’ve also used a modified version of Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce mixed with generous tomato paste, then cooked longer. They both turn out great, and I think the tomato paste makes a big difference.

But I think the other trick is NOT to skimp on the cream despite one’s strongest instincts. The sauce needs to be pink and mellow, and that only happens when a copious amount of cream is employed!

3 Likes

I admire you for still eating turkey since last week. I can’t approach it. My house continues to have the ghosts of DH’s turkey stock but it’s too cold to open a door and let the aroma escape.

1 Like

Grilled shrimp with pico de gallo

21 Likes

14 Likes

I still have half of the breast in the freezer. It will probably be Christmas dinner.

2 Likes

That looks DELICIOUS!

2 Likes

Ditto (and I only made a 7 lb. turkey breast!) I’ll use mine up in turkey pot pie at a later date in the new year, most likely. Still have a TON of creamy mashed potatoes left. I’ll freeze that as well and use as needed.

2 Likes

Anchovies!! Yuuummm!..my essential ingredient in making 'Spaghetti con Vongole '!!..for the added saltiness and kick-up umami level!

3 Likes

@retrospek This happens to me with 2 things: chicken stock and chicken curry.

Someone gave me a giant yankee candle decades ago that has sometimes been the only way out — it either offsets or replaces the odor particles with different ones (but they don’t linger as long). I move it around to kill the smell in different spaces.

The other solutions are to simmer some water with citrus slices and spices like clove and cinnamon (like mulled cider?) or bake something with a nice fragrance (citrus, chocolate, vanilla).

Febreze also works, if you can find a scent that won’t bother you. ( I like the smell of basic febreze less than most odors.)

6 Likes

Saragama +1 on the mulling spices (or pickling spices - even crab or shrimp boil). I learned to put vinegar into the mix, as well. We had a skunk that sprayed right under our living room windows one summer. I kept that crockpot going for about 48 hours without the lid on our bar. I cannot handle the chemical smell of Febreeze no matter what they call the “fragrance”…

2 Likes

Candles work faster in my experience.

2 Likes

I used to love Yankee candles but no longer burn them in our house - they add a lot of soot to our walls and ceilings. I do miss them. I buy fragrance sticks/diffusers from Thymes and am looking forward to putting some out “Fraiser Fir” for the winter holidays.

2 Likes