What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Flat Iron steak marinated in soy sauce, Hoisin, Tiger Sauce, chili-garlic paste, Shao Xing wine, fresh garlic, and black pepper.

Side of sautéed string beans and roasted baby potatoes.

To drink: Bombay Martini(s). I’m off tomorrow after working six straight.

21 Likes

what did you think of the salmon recipe?

1 Like

I see i’ve fallen behind again…

Lessee… Saturday night at my sister’s I made Smitten Kitchen’s green garlicky noodles, and served them under sauteed cod. The noodz were excellent, and super easy. The cod came out pretty perfect too…

Cod over garlicky green noodles

Yesterday, I slow roasted a small piece of pork shoulder, and made delicata squash to go with. Also doctored up a chili/tomatillo sauce the BF made to make it more like a salsa verde to go with the pork. it worked ok. the squash was delish, roasted in the pork fat. Also, beet salad with avo, feta, chives, and a lemony dijon dressing.

Tonight, I asked the BF to make Momofuku’s air-fried, packaged soy & scallion noodles with the leftover pork. The noodles themselves were fine, but not exceptionally better than other packaged noodles, and they were pretty bland on their own (even after adding the seasoning packets). BF didn’t know they’re supposed to be served with “your favorite sauce” so we added some of the marinade he made for the pork. That did the trick. Sauteed veggies also made it into the bowl, and his wonderful ramen eggs.

20 Likes

Dinner was lunch leftovers (Sichuan twice-cooked pork, beef with long peppers, and rice) so I could bake for Thanksgiving : Orange olive oil cakes and Brownies.

22 Likes

Are both of those in the last picture OOO cakes?

Yep, just different pans

2 Likes

To kick this up another notch, try drizzling a few drops of premium sweet top soy-sauce onto fish and then follow by some sizzling boiling oil…Hong Kong Michelin star restaurants approach!

4 Likes

Do you have a preferred soy sauce? We used our standard Kikkoman for this particular meal (although we did do the boiling oil right before serving over the top of the fish, ginger, scallions, and cilantro!).

3 Likes

Mustard glazed salmon, steamed broccoli, baked potato. Not bad for on the fly, in between other stuff tonight!

19 Likes

Steak and potato pizza, using leftover steak tip and the other half of the baked tater from Friday night. Added the cooked broccoli as well, following this recipe, for the most part. I should have tossed the steak in a drizzle of Ballymaloe steak sauce for some oomph, but it was still pretty good!

Wine.

21 Likes

That looks so incredibly good and I’m not even hungry!!

1 Like

First home cooked meal in a week! DiBruno’s hot Italian sausages, red peppers & mushrooms joined a tomato sauce party with Rao’s rigatoni. Salad on the side. Gawd I missed salad!

20 Likes

Leftover beef and veggie soup from the freezer.

13 Likes

That looks magnificent!

2 Likes

Yum, yum, yum! I just scrolled through the whole thread, and even though I just polished off a plate of pasta, I’m craving more after seeing your glorious, carb-laden posts. Here’s my spaghetti carbonara from tonight, an old recipe I printed out from RecipeSouce (anyone remember that site?):

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Pork Tenderloin, baked potato, pickled beets and the beer quick bread (I made earlier today).

14 Likes

It definitely needed more oomph as the potato was just baked leftover vs roasted with seasonings leftover, which would have added some flavor. They picked up a bit of the rosemary butter “sauce” but it wasnt enough, IMO. Tossing the steak strips in steak sauce prior to layering on the dough would have helped a lot as well. But now I know for next time!

2 Likes

Simple, kinda beige but very tasty: pan-fried boneless skin-on chicken thigh (my favorite), jasmine rice, kimchi. I pounded the bejeezus out of the chicken to make it even (so therapeutic!!) so it was very tender. G&T.

17 Likes

Just the two of us - our usual partner on Thanksgiving had a hip replacement yesterday and we wanted to take a meal to her tomorrow so we cooked our bird early. Nothing fancy. Didn’t bother with a green veg but we will have peas and pearl onions tomorrow. Leftovers until next year…

26 Likes

Dinner tonigt is sirloin strips, sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes. IPA for him and Cabernet Sauvignon for me. Happy Drinksgiving to all who celebrate!

21 Likes