What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Seared blsl chicken thighs, seasoned with s&p, garlic, Mexican oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin and finished in the oven, served with aji amarillo everything sauce. Cheesy cauliflower (sharp and smoked cheddar), poblano pepper and onions. Romaine salad with radish, green onion and black olives, chipotle ranch. B&T and wine.

16 Likes

Beans and greens alla vodka. Roasted Italian sausages. Toasted stirato.

There will be Drunken Peaches for dessert.

Onions, tomato and kale from the garden.

16 Likes

Parm! Parm, I tell you. KInda screwed up and used a too-big pan, so it wasn’t as compact and loaf-like as it should be. And the eggplant was oddly tough. Still good, though!

parm

13 Likes

I’m waiting for it to warm up outside. It’s going to be a long wait. Split pea with ham soup. Cheers.

19 Likes

That soup looks wonderful!

1 Like

Leftovers!

Curry chicken noodle soup from yesterday, using homemade broth, thai curry paste, bok choy, and snow pea leaves.

Plus a couple of steamed buns with duck using the tiny bit of Peking duck that came home with me last night. (The crispy duck skin was from my shopping last week, same suck that yielded the duck broth.)

17 Likes

It’s a nice soup. .And the peas weren’t the star. Just what came about.

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at The Circle restaurant including crispy striped bass with brown butter guajillo emulsion; wagyu hanger steak with beef fat fries, chili - garlic compound butter; prosciutto salad with honeydew, candied hazelnut, chèvre, and ginger vinaigrette; creamy Jersey Girl burrata with honey nut squash; cavatelli with black trumpet mushrooms, and tarragon. It all went great with an excelllent Chateauneuf Du Pape and red blend.

10 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was beef teriyaki served over rice noodles.

12 Likes

Last night: Grilled chicken, Provolone, sautéed broccoli rabe, and roasted red pepper aioli.

The aioli: small jar of peppers strained, two cloves of garlic, a dab of mayo, splash of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend. Done.

Bombay Martini to drink.

22 Likes

The Russet potato and onion casserole sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe you can share, please.

1 Like

I haven’t made that in ages, thanks for the memory jolt!

1 Like

@Wtg2Retire Here you go!!

Onion & Potato Casserole

2 medium onions

2-3 large potatoes

2 eggs (beaten)

¼ cup of flour

1/4 cup of cornmeal

¼ cup of milk

1 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon each of paprika, cumin and chili flakes

Cut up onions (slices) and soak them in water with a pinch of salt for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out excess water.

Shred 2-3 potatoes. In a large bowl, mix potatoes with onions and rest of ingredients.

Spray baking dish with non-stick spray, place mixture in baking dish, bake for 50 minutes at 400 degrees (F).

7 Likes

Edit: I miss a word in the OP (“thickened”) and my original response no longer makes sense.

Maybe the cheese was shredded too thick?

Tonight I made Melissa Clark’s take on caramel salmon (wild caught by my FIL), rice noodles with butter, sesame seeds and oil and a splash of sweet soy, braised Hakurei turnips with black vinegar, and gingery cucumber-bell pepper salad.

Homemade pumpkin bread for dessert. Another loaf for the teacher workroom.

15 Likes

Definitely going to try this - thanks!

1 Like

Having thought to ace out TG shoppers, found myself at Trader Joe’s late afternoon…apparently joining every other TG host in San Francisco. → fast, no brainer supper.
Grilled lemongrass chicken with rice noodles, nuoc cham, cilantro, mint. Chard.
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 5.50.51 PM

16 Likes

Bacon wrapped roasted pork tenderloin. Asparagus with hollandaise sauce, Aleppo pepper. Mixed greens salad, green onion, baby bells, creamy Italian dressing. Wine. Dessert, maple old fashioned.

17 Likes

Another fall harvest dinner. Pan-roasted pork chops with Penzey’s Galena Street seasoning. Roasted pumpkin and crook-neck squash. Baked apple slices. Green beans.

Everything but the piggie from our garden.

19 Likes

i’ll be right over

1 Like